Left eye dominant,right hand shooter....pistols/revolvers.

HereWeGoAgain

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2010
I'm one of the unlucky....I'm left eye dominant and right handed.
When I was a kid shooting pellet rifles I'd lean over the rifle to use my left eye. I eventually broke that habit through practice especially once I started using scoped rifles. That transferred to iron sights after a while without effort.
With the advent of red dot optics like the EoTech it became a none issue since you shoot with both eyes open and I'd naturally let my left eye take over without even noticing.
With pistols/revolvers I found that I do the same thing without even thinking about it even with iron sights,I just let my dominate eye take over and I dont even notice since I shoot with both eyes open.

Anyone else among the unlucky?

When I was a kid shooting pellet rifles I'd lean over the rifle to use my left eye. I eventually broke that habit through practice especially once I started using scoped rifles. That transferred to iron sights after a while without effort.
With the advent of red dot optics like the EoTech it became a none issue since you shoot with both eyes open and I'd naturally let my left eye take over without even noticing.
With pistols/revolvers I found that I do the same thing without even thinking about it even with iron sights,I just let my dominate eye take over and I dont even notice since I shoot with both eyes open.

I'm left-handed and left-eye dominant, but I was trained to shoot a rifle right-handed (still shoot pistol left-handed). Same as you, I learned to shoot with both eyes open, but I still struggle with a scoped rifle. Since I quit deer hunting, I have little need for a scoped rifle, but I still like doing it occasionally for target.

Yup. I shoot with both eyes open and have never had an issue.

Shooting with both eyes open didnt really set in with me until I started using red dot sights on a rifle.
Turns out I was doing just that with a pistol/revolver and didnt even know it.

That doesnt really work with a scoped rifle unless you learn to use your non dominant eye.
It's easy now that I've gotten used to it and can go from non dominant eye with a scope to both eyes open with a pistol/revolver and red dot sights.
I dont even notice it anymore.

Yep... left eye dominant, right hand shooter.

I tried forcing a change a couple times by covering my left eye with a patch...never took.

Close my left eye to target rifle.

Handgun both eyes open and shift sight picture to left eye.

Never had a problem with shotgun.

Last edited:

I just checked and I have the same issue!

Yep... left eye dominant, right hand scooter.

I tried forcing a change a couple times by cover my left eye with a patch...never took.

At this point the only time I shoot with my non dominant eye is with a scoped rifle.
I didnt even know I was shooting with my dominate eye while shooting a pistol or my red dot since it's not obvious unless you do the dominant eye test while shooting.

Yep... left eye dominant, right hand scooter.

I tried forcing a change a couple times by cover my left eye with a patch...never took.

So how are you with a left hand scooter? :biggrin:

How'd ya check?
Doing the old look through your fist hole and close one eye and open the other?
I figured it out when I was a youngster with a toilet paper tube.
Ahhh yes...3rd grade science class,about the only thing I learned that was useful.

How'd ya check?
Ahhh yes...3rd grade science class,about the only thing I learned that was useful.

Guilty
!

How'd ya check?

Guilty
!

It works.

I'm left-handed and left-eye dominant, but I was trained to shoot a rifle right-handed (still shoot pistol left-handed). Same as you, I learned to shoot with both eyes open, but I still struggle with a scoped rifle. Since I quit deer hunting, I have little need for a scoped rifle, but I still like doing it occasionally for target.

Thats kinda fucked up.
If you're left handed and left eye dominant you should have learned to shoot a rifle that way.
Let me guess...your Pappy had something to do with it back in the day :biggrin:
It's weird though...I shoot pool left handed even though I'm right handed. Of course I suck at pool so ya cant read much into that.

Yeah, I'm left eye dominant, right handed. Tried to learn to shoot lefty with long guns but just couldn't, it just didn't feel right (pun intended).
With a side arm I'm more accurate left handed.

Yeah, I'm left eye dominant, right handed. Tried to learn to shoot lefty with long guns but just couldn't, it just didn't feel right (pun intended).

I just use my dominant left eye when shooting a pistol out of my right hand.
I dont even notice it.

I dont even notice it.
I can do either hand but I am more accurate left handed. I'm fairly ambidextrous, think I started out as a lefty then my parents started me in Catholic school, they didn't tolerate lefties back then. :lol:

I dont even notice it.
I can do either hand but I am more accurate left handed. I'm fairly ambidextrous, think I started out as a lefty then my parents started me in Catholic school, they didn't tolerate lefties back then. :lol:

I played tennis when I was young and changed hands with the racquet all the time.
It drove the tennis coach nuts!!!
But it worked well for me much to the tennis coaches consternation.
I eventually got tired of tennis which I'm sure the coach was happy about.

My grandfather. He was a sniper. He got captured in WWII and they gouged out his right eyeball.

But he adjusted and after the war he still won a hell of a lot of trophies at shooting contests. I discovered dozens of both pre-war and post-war trophies in the attic.

He gave me my first rifle on my 12th birthday.

Forum List

Back