Lent

Michelle420

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2013
The Bee Hive State
Lent will soon be here. It is my first time participating in it. I will give up social media for 40 days. If you are a practicing Catholic how will you participate in Lent?

Lent will soon be here. It is my first time participating in it. I will give up social media for 40 days. If you are a practicing Catholic how will you participate in Lent?
Lent is six weeks, and it is interesting that six weeks is also the length of time it takes to develop and set new habits that extend beyond six weeks. Years of Lenten experience speaking here:

Remember the parable Jesus told about a man being cleansed of a demon, but replaced that room with nothing--and seven more demons came to take its place. When we give up something for Lent, it is vital to replace it with something. Are you planning to return to social media after 40 days? If so, will there be a change, or will it simply be a break? Why give up social media, what is the purpose? How will it improve you, improve those who will miss you?

God takes this time to work with us, and His work is amazing, so why not give Him something to work with. I have been through Lents where I have worked so hard to do something for God without getting anything in return. Doesn't work that way. God accepts and returns what is given Him many times over, so I have ceased to fight this.

Wishing you a beautiful Lent--amazing that time in the desert can be so fulfilling.

Lent is amusing to me.

A guy says he's giving up Oreos so he stuffs his face with Chips Ahoy
A guy says he's giving up single malt Scotch but gets hammered on blended Scotch

People fast not only for spiritual reasons but to walk shoulder to shoulder with the poor. Money saved on food is then donated to the poor. Service is donated as well.

Lent is a time for reflecting not only on the life of Christ, but how well our own lives are in alignment with his teachings. New beginnings, not only for each individual but for the entire community of which we are a part.

Forum List

Back