Lessons of History and Trying To Avoid the Same Mistakes

We had it rough, but there was one thing we Oklahoma kids could always rely on back in the heady 1970s and 1980s: our school library's six books. They were those same six books that Ryan Walters put on display, when he took it upon himself to prove that Oklahoma school libraries still had books in them: two Bill Bennett books, one conservative alternative history book, a book that included the Declaration of Independence, a book with the complete Federalist Papers, and the Holy Bible.

That was all we had back then. Every school had a copy of those six books, and what a wave of nostalgia it was to see them all again stacked up on the Oklahoma superintendent’s personal shelf.

Technically, back when I was in school, it was seven books. The seventh book in Oklahoma schools was “The Scouting Way,” by former Republican House Speaker Dennis Hastert and other writers. It was a book that promoted the Boy Scouts and the values of the Boy Scouts to Boy Scout-aged children, but Oklahoma schools removed every copy back in 2016 for reasons that were never quite spelled out. School administrators never spoke of it again; it was as if Dennis Hastert's written ode to Boy Scout life had never existed.

By the time the current Oklahoma Superintendent took the position, new Oklahoma laws were on the books, making it illegal to mention that there ever was a seventh book. We had six, state law insisted, and so that is what I now remember as well.
What was it like, growing up in a public school system that only allowed six books? In some ways, it was good; in some ways, it was bad.

-----
I can’t tell you how useful it would have been to have even a single copy of “Charlotte’s Web” back when I was supposed to make a poster about spiders for the school science fair. Nope. The state of Oklahoma wasn’t going to disrupt the entire public school system by adding a new book that was neither a Bible nor political.

I remember one 10th-grade classmate, a sort of nerdy kid who planned to attend college, who launched a letter-writing crusade against the Oklahoma Department of Education for providing only six books. He attended school board meetings. He posted flyers. He even went to the state capital to make his case.

It was all for nothing. In Oklahoma, school officials said, everything students in the state needed to know was contained in those six books. If the Federalist Papers didn't have anything to say about cellular reproduction, you didn't need to know it. If the Bible doesn't tell you the chemical composition of the atmosphere, and David Barton doesn't mention it either, what possible reason would Oklahoma students have for wanting to know it?

The question came down to "parental rights," they said. Parents had the right to expect Oklahoma schools would not expose their children to any ideas they themselves hadn’t been exposed to, and the only plausible way to protect those parental rights was to forbid books that might include new or contradictory information.

I've got a lot of good memories about my Oklahoma childhood, and a lot of bad memories, but it's amazing how a single tweet from Oklahoma Superintendent of Education Ryan Walters can bring the sights, sounds, and even smells of those days back so vividly. The crisp sound of a turning page. The Scholastic Book Fairs, in which the school cafeteria was filled with not six books, but dozens of copies of those six books. (If you bought your own copy of “The Book of Virtues,” it came with a full-sized poster of Bill Bennett at the craps table. I still remember how those kids would strut around like they were junior high school big shots.)

But I do worry a little about Walters pulling this political stunt. He may be the new superintendent of Oklahoma schools, but that doesn't mean he should have used his power to borrow an entire Oklahoma school library for his little video. Which school did Walters' office take these books from? Did they even check whether the students there had book reports due? Somewhere in Oklahoma, there's a school library that's gone completely missing, perhaps without explanation, and back in my day, if that happened the whole student body would have to stay after school and search until somebody found it again.

So that's bad form, right there. I understand that Oklahoma's new superintendent needed to prove, good and hard, that Oklahoma school libraries did too have books in them, but there had to have been a less disruptive way to do it than to take the whole six-book collection.

(full article online)

[ From 2009 to now, this is what US anti LGBTQ activists are accomplishing in Uganda, and other countries. The US, importing anti LGBTQ feelings where there were non before ]

Uganda’s president, Yoweri Museveni, has refused to sign into law a controversial anti-LGBTQ+ bill that imposes the death penalty for homosexuality, requesting that it be returned to parliament for reconsideration.

The decision was announced on Thursday after a meeting between the president and ruling party MPs who resolved to return the hardline bill to the national assembly “with proposals for its improvement”.

It was not immediately clear whether the proposed changes would make the proposed law even tougher, although a spokesperson said the president had asked lawmakers to consider “the issue of rehabilitation”. “I totally agree with the bill, but my original problem is the psychologically disoriented person,” said Museveni, according to a statement.

The sudden economic stop-start of the pandemic caused a dramatic mismatch between supply and demand, fueling a once-in-a-generation inflation flare-up. But more than three years since the dislocations began, many of the logistical and labor messes have normalized.

Labor-market disruptions were a prime suspect in soaring inflation last year. Economists and the Federal Reserve suggested workers demanding higher wages was the "key" to inflation. But average hourly earnings grew by just 0.3% in March, according to the latest Bureau of Labor Statistics data, and currently sit at year-over-year growth of 4.2% — well below the nearly 6% jump from March 2021 to March 2022. Wages and salaries in the Employment Cost Index, a broader measure of employee compensation, have been on a downward march for roughly a year. The index rose just 1.2% from December 2022 to March 2023, barely above pre-pandemic levels and well below the pandemic peak from late 2021.

Another oft-cited inflation culprit, supply chains, have returned to normal. Freight-trucking prices peaked in spring 2022 and have tumbled close to pre-pandemic levels over the past year. In March, the Federal Reserve Bank of New York's global supply-chain-pressure indexfell to its lowest level since 2008, and has been tumbling since December 2021. Chris Williamson, the chief economist at S&P Global Market Intelligence, found that the number of supply-chain delays fell yet again this January, reaching their lowest level since January 2020. And the excuse of shortages is a thing of the past: Retailers have been reporting an inventory glut for months as products pile up in their back rooms. Prices for raw goods that help drive companies' input costs have also declined from mid-2022 highs: Lumber and wood prices have been tumbling since February 2022; metal prices have been on a downward march since May 2022; and gas prices have cooled from their peak in summer last year.

Despite things getting back to normal, inflation remains high. The Consumer Price Index increased 5% year over year in March, its lowest rate since May 2021, but still roughly triple the average increase from the years leading up to the pandemic. While there are some technical reasons for CPI to be elevated, there are two important indicators that have not returned to normal: corporate profits and profit margins. Corporate profits hit a record high in the second quarter last year, and rose by 6.6% year over year. And corporate pretax profits reached record highs in the final quarter of last year. The biggest corporations in the S&P 500 also notched a record year for profits in 2022, according to data from the market analytics firm FactSet.

Corporate profit margins, which measure how much money a firm makes from sales after factoring in its expenses, also began soaring in the second quarter of 2020, and in 2022 hit their highest level since 1950. While margins have come down a bit since then, they still sit near 14% as of the fourth quarter of 2022. In 2019 and through the first quarter of 2020, profit margins sat just around 10%. So while there's no doubt that the economy has been through the ringer over the past three years, costs are finally coming down — and yet profit margins are still high.

(full article online)

In a newly revealed text message, ousted Fox News host Tucker Carlson made a racist comment and said he found himself briefly rooting for a mob of Trump supporters to kill a person.
“A couple of weeks ago, I was watching video of people fighting on the street in Washington,” Carlson texted a producer. “A group of Trump guys surrounded an Antifa kid and started pounding the living s**t out of him. It was three against one, at least. Jumping a guy like that is dishonorable obviously. It’s not how white men fight. Yet suddenly I found myself rooting for the mob against the man, hoping they’d hit him harder, kill him. I really wanted them to hurt the kid. I could taste it.”
Carlson sent the text message to one of his producers in the hours after the violent January 6, 2021, insurrection on Capitol Hill, message, The message was redacted in court filings and was just one of several private conversations collected in the lawsuit filed by Dominion Voting Systems against Fox News, a source familiar with the matter confirmed to CNN. The text was first reported by the New York Times.
The text message alarmed Fox’s board of directors and played a role in Carlson’s abrupt firing last month, the Times reported.
Fox News declined to comment to CNN on the report. Tucker Carlson did not respond to CNN’s request for comment.
The network announced last week that Fox News and Carlson had severed ties. The decision to part ways with Carlson was made by Fox Corporation chief executive Lachlan Murdoch and Fox News chief executive Suzanne Scott, a person familiar with the matter said.
The announcement came one week after Fox News settled a monster defamation lawsuit with Dominion for $787.5 million over the network’s dissemination of election lies. The lawsuit had exposed Carlson and other Fox News primetime stars disparaging their network colleagues. A lawsuit filed in March by Carlson’s now-fired top booker, Abby Grossberg, also included a number of allegations of sexism on his show.
But the text remains redacted. At the end of his text, Carlson continued that he does not condone violence.

“Then somewhere deep in my brain, an alarm went off: this isn’t good for me. I’m becoming something I don’t want to be,” Carlson continued. “The Antifa creep is a human being. Much as I despise what he says and does, much as I’m sure I’d hate him personally if I knew him, I shouldn’t gloat over his suffering. I should be bothered by it. I should remember that somewhere somebody probably loves this kid, and would be crushed if he was killed. If I don’t care about those things, if I reduce people to their politics, how am I better than he is?”

Anti-Defamation League CEO Jonathan Greenblatt said Carlson’s racist message wasn’t shocking considering his frequent anti-immigrant comments on his show.

(full article online)

[ This is how some Republicans mean to win elections in the future ]

On Tuesday, May 2, the Texas Senate passed Senate Bill 1993, which would give the secretary of state the authority to order a new election under certain circumstances in counties with at least 2.7 million people. Only Harris County, a Democratic stronghold and the country’s third most populous county, would be affected by this bill as it has 4.7 million people. S.B. 1993 now goes to the state House for consideration.

S.B. 1993 would allow the secretary of state to order a new election in Harris County if at least 2% of polling places run out of usable ballots during voting hours and also if these polling places don’t receive extra ballots within one hour of running out. Under the terms of the law, the secretary of state wouldn’t actually have to prove that any polling places did run out of ballots; they would merely need to have “good cause to believe ” that there was a shortage. Additionally, they wouldn’t have to prove that election administration issues affected the outcome of the election.

The law is a direct response to the 2022 midterms, where some Republicans tried to use Election Day problems in Harris County to justify overturning the results. Republicans suggested the ballot shortages last year were targeted at Republicans, a claim the data does not support. If signed into law by Gov. Greg Abbott (R), S.B. 1993 will make it easier for Texas Republicans to override future elections in Harris County.

Harris County Attorney Christian Menefee (D) vowed to sue if the bill is enacted.

https://twitter.com/MarkJacob16

With all the arguments over whether MAGA Republicans are fascists, I reread William Shirer’s “The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich” to see how much the rise of Hitler and the rise of MAGA smell similar. Conclusion: They do. This thread lists 10 ways. Please take a look.

1. A big lie about treachery is used to foment resentment. Nazis: We didn’t really lose World War I. It was a “stab in the back” by Jews and other "November criminals." MAGA: We didn’t really lose the 2020 election. It was a “steal” by politicians and Blacks in big cities.

2. There’s an obsession with purity of the culture. Nazis: “Racial mixture” was a threat to Aryan culture, Hitler wrote. MAGA: “Great replacement theory” says immigrants threaten white culture.

3. Chaos is something to be exploited, not addressed. Nazis: Economic distress is a great political opportunity. MAGA: Economic distress is a great political opportunity.

4. The super-rich bankroll the right-wing seizure of power. Nazis: Thanks to I.G. Farben, Deutsche Bank, Thyssen, Krupp, etc. MAGA: Thanks to the Mercers, Uihleins, DeVos, Thiel, etc.

5. Some people think the fascist threat is overblown. Nazis: While Hitler posed a major threat, some said he "ceased to be a political danger.” (2 weeks later, he was chancellor.) MAGA: While Trump poses a major threat, many people think it’s “just politics,” no worries.

6. There’s a cult of personality. Nazis: The German army made a pledge of loyalty to Hitler personally. MAGA: Trump’s supporters bill him as “the most moral president” in U.S. history.

7. Christianity is used to legitimize the movement. Nazis: “The party stands for positive Christianity.” MAGA: Trump is described as the “Chosen One” protecting American Christianity.

8. Books are the enemy. Nazis: Any book that “acts subversively on our future” must be burned. MAGA: “I think we should throw those books in a fire,” says a Virginia school board member.

9. An independent news media is the enemy. Nazis: Any newspaper that “offends the honor and dignity of Germany” must be banned. MAGA: The press is the “enemy of the people.”

10. Educators are pressured to be politically compliant. Nazis: Teachers took an oath to “be loyal and obedient to Adolf Hitler.” MAGA: Florida’s DeSantis accuses teachers of “indoctrination” and pressures them to avoid references to America’s racist history and LGBTQ people.

I'm not saying that MAGA will end up as horrifically as Nazism. I am saying that America 2022 feels too much like Germany 1932, and I don't want to take the risk of watching MAGA cultism play out. We have to stop it now.

Why did Twitter put a “sensitive” warning on this thread? Who knows? My only theory is that it has a “hateful symbol”—a swastika on the cover of Shirer’s book about Nazism.

In what leftwing sewer did you find that piece of swill?

It looks to me like she's refusing to comply with police orders.
The officer grabbed her from behind and started to try to make her leave.

Video does not show before or after, if other protesters were also forced to leave.

They simply have no respect for Democrat witch hunts.
Some in the Supreme Court, Thomas, Roberts....
are happy that there are no Ethics rules for them to follow so that they can do whatever they want, whenever they want.

That may change.

Forum List

Back