Let's Be Careful Out There...

I'm asking sincerely, please don't do this. There's not a single reason to divert this discussion onto any other topic; not Trump, not Covid, nothing.

Thanks...
I am not trying to divert the issue, most of the cases of the Kung Flu arent really Chinese related, but other disabling events that end up in hospitals. If they are reported as Kung Flu, the hospital makes that much more...

Condolences.

Gee, a whole two days given to recover from massive injury! Guess that says a lot for the state of healthcare. Apparently the days of valuing human life and giving people every chance possible are over.
So how much time do you want to give a brain dead person to miraculously come back to life?

Last edited:
Condolences.

Gee, a whole two days given to recover from massive injury! Guess that says a lot for the state of healthcare. Apparently the days of valuing human life and giving people every chance possible are over.
So how much time do you want to give a brain dead person to miraculously come back to life?

Do you really expect a person with such a trauma and bleeding on the brain to recover in two days? The brain goes into neutral like that as part of its protecting itself. I'm no expert and haven't seen the brain scan, but I think I'd want to give his body a little longer to heal to see if he can recover first. Repair the break in the neck unless it severed the spinal cord, stop the bleeding then give it a week and see. People have come back from stuff like this after weeks and months!

Sounds to me like this was yet just one more MONETARY decision (insurance co) or maybe weighing his chances vs. their need of the bed for other people. Hope I never need that hospital.

Condolences.

Do you really expect a person with such a trauma and bleeding on the brain to recover in two days? The brain goes into neutral like that as part of its protecting itself. I'm no expert and haven't seen the brain scan, but I think I'd want to give his body a little longer to heal to see if he can recover first. Repair the break in the neck unless it severed the spinal cord, stop the bleeding then give it a week and see. People have come back from stuff like this after weeks and months!

Sounds to me like this was yet just one more MONETARY decision (insurance co) or maybe weighing his chances vs. their need of the bed for other people. Hope I never need that hospital.
When brain function is ZERO it doesn't come back.

Brain death is the complete loss of brain function (including involuntary activity necessary to sustain life).[1][2][3][4] It differs from persistent vegetative state, in which the person is alive and some autonomic functions remain.[5] It is also distinct from an ordinary coma, whether induced medically or caused by injury and/or illness, even if it is very deep, as long as some brain and bodily activity and function remain; and it is also not the same as the condition locked-in syndrome. A differential diagnosis can medically distinguish these differing conditions.

If he were in a coma his brain would still be active.

Have you ever considered that the person made his wishes known to his loved ones and he didn't want to live life as a brain dead vegetable?

A good friend of mine was in a horrible motorcycle accident the other night. He's got broken ribs, broken neck, brain bleed and is on a ventilator. There's been zero brain activity since Sunday night. Sadly, if there's no improvement today they're going to disconnect him from life support. It's painful to think of a world without my buddy Forrest.

In the biker community, there's an unspoken understanding that the risks are higher than for those who ride in "cages" and, while those risks are readily accepted, it still hurts like Hell when you lose a brother.

So, if you ride, be safe out there and keep the shiny side up. If you drive, just look twice. Bikers can be hard to see...

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend.

I have ridden motorcycles since I was 13, which was 63 years ago. On the road, I've always ridden a Harley. I have been blessed, I've only laid one down twice in all those years with minor injuries.

Studies have shown the driver of a car does not "see" a motorcycle. They are looking for a car, so they see cats but many do not "SEE" the motorcycle. It makes sense to me at least. I read that decades ago and it made a difference in my road riding style. I approached every intersection knowing the car approaching or stopped, is going to pull out in front of me. I left a good car length between me and any stopped car and instantly looked for an escape route if I saw someone coming behind me too fast.

I raced amateur Enduros (races usually over 100 miles following arrows over an unknown course with hills, logs, water, mud whatever and I raced motocross. That's where I made up for my record on the road, someone told me that if I didn't fall once in a while, I wasn't going fast enough. That's also where I got on a first-name basis with my orthopedic surgeon! :D

We all know the hazards but happily ride.

BikersPrayer.jpg

Ease up! If he had severe brain damage, he's not coming back. It wasn't your decision so have some respect for those who had to make the decision. It's hard enough without someone like you second-guessing something of which you know less than NOTHING.

Condolences.

Brain death is the complete loss of brain function (including involuntary activity necessary to sustain life).[1][2][3][4] It differs from persistent vegetative state, in which the person is alive and some autonomic functions remain.[5] It is also distinct from an ordinary coma, whether induced medically or caused by injury and/or illness, even if it is very deep, as long as some brain and bodily activity and function remain; and it is also not the same as the condition locked-in syndrome. A differential diagnosis can medically distinguish these differing conditions.

If he were in a coma his brain would still be active.

Have you ever considered that the person made his wishes known to his loved ones and he didn't want to live life as a brain dead vegetable?

Don't even engage toobfreak. It's a complete waste of time...

Brain death is the complete loss of brain function (including involuntary activity necessary to sustain life).

Well, you may very well be right. I originally took it to assume the guy was in a coma. But even at that, it says that you can have a seemingly unmeasurable flatline EEG and not be dead for a number of reasons, but if the guy has absolutely no brain function and was showing no change after two days needing total life support, it wasn't looking good.

A good friend of mine was in a horrible motorcycle accident the other night. He's got broken ribs, broken neck, brain bleed and is on a ventilator. There's been zero brain activity since Sunday night. Sadly, if there's no improvement today they're going to disconnect him from life support. It's painful to think of a world without my buddy Forrest.

In the biker community, there's an unspoken understanding that the risks are higher than for those who ride in "cages" and, while those risks are readily accepted, it still hurts like Hell when you lose a brother.

So, if you ride, be safe out there and keep the shiny side up. If you drive, just look twice. Bikers can be hard to see...

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend.

I have ridden motorcycles since I was 13, which was 63 years ago. On the road, I've always ridden a Harley. I have been blessed, I've only laid one down twice in all those years with minor injuries.

Studies have shown the driver of a car does not "see" a motorcycle. They are looking for a car, so they see cats but many do not "SEE" the motorcycle. It makes sense to me at least. I read that decades ago and it made a difference in my road riding style. I approached every intersection knowing the car approaching or stopped, is going to pull out in front of me. I left a good car length between me and any stopped car and instantly looked for an escape route if I saw someone coming behind me too fast.

I raced amateur Enduros (races usually over 100 miles following arrows over an unknown course with hills, logs, water, mud whatever and I raced motocross. That's where I made up for my record on the road, someone told me that if I didn't fall once in a while, I wasn't going fast enough. That's also where I got on a first-name basis with my orthopedic surgeon! :D

We all know the hazards but happily ride.

BikersPrayer.jpg

Thankfully, I've never dropped my bike. I don't get snooty about that record, though. My money is on the fact that it just hasn't happened yet. I can think of only a handful of people I ride with who've yet to drop their bike. We call ourselves "The Eventual Club", because we figure it'll eventually happen to all of us.

The bike in the photo below, a Victory, belonged to my buddy Bryan. During Bike Week in Daytona last March, he and a friend who was riding with him were stopped at a light. Some drunken meth-head chick came along, never even hit her breaks, and slammed into them doing about 45 mph. Bryan was fucked up; 40 staples in his head (he refuses to wear a helmet), various broken bones. Marie, the girl riding with him, is now paralyzed from the waist down. It just goes to show that, regardless of how careful you choose or choose not to be, someone in a car can negate your choice in the blink of an eye. The car hit them so hard it wrapped around the ass end of the bike. The bike never hit the ground:

BRYAN'S BIKE.jpg

This is my buddy Mike. Mike is certifiably insane, although he's very good at being certifiably insane. He's a professional stunt rider, and has ridden in movies such as "The Italian Job", "Gemini Man" and "The Bourne Identity". If there are no cars to impede him, he can ride like this for miles:

12548945_10208385238010740_7031341508524371115_n.jpg

Surprisingly, Mike's a member of "The Eventual Club"...

Ease up! If he had severe brain damage, he's not coming back. It wasn't your decision so have some respect for those who had to make the decision. It's hard enough without someone like you second-guessing something of which you know less than NOTHING.

Ease up? I agreed with you! Now that I've gotten more information. Get a grip on reality. That is a day old comment, Ace. And I don't exactly know nothing, my first interest in life was medicine before I got more interested in engineering. And I've had more than enough experiences with current doctors and insurance companies these days to NOT automatically just "respect" their decision. I still remember Terri Schiavo.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I love motorcycles and love to ride but I am no longer willing to take a risk in riding anymore.

Forum List

Back