Let’s not pretend conservatives are banning books in school libraries simply because of graphic sexual content

I'm a teacher and during Banned Book Week, I admit I play along. Mainly because I like our librarian, bless her heart. I wear the "I Read Banned Books" sticker, and hang the poster in my room. They're not really "banned" books of course, but she is older and likely not able to see the distinction after a lifetime of ALA indoctrination.

When she asked teachers to post pictures of ourselves reading a banned book in a way that indicated we were doing it secretly, I selfied reading the Bible - the most actually banned book in history - behind the NEA's magazine.

It really does not matter if an LGBT book being banned has sexual content in it. It will be banned either way. Any mention of a gay relationship is automatically condemned.

This doesn’t just apply to LGBT books. It also applies to books with Black Lives Matter content. Oh the horror!

Conservatives only care about their own free speech - not anyone else’s.

No...book bans are not on the rise....keeping books about little boys having sex with each other and grown men are being banned.....and if that upsets you, start your own schools...

Black lives matter is a maoist, racist organization.....they teach racism...and have no place in our schools...

If the book has actual explicit sexual language in it, I can get behind banning it in a school. If it lacks that and the content merely discusses a homosexual relationship, then it’s stupid to ban it.

Ask yourself this question: if a kid picks up a book and it depicts a gay relationship between adults but lacks sexual content, this book would have… what effect on that kid? What would happen to the kid if they read it? Do you even know? No you have no idea lol

Just admit you don’t actually give a shit about the kids. If there were books in libraries with sexual content of heterosexual relations, you would not even give a shit they would be there. You would not be whining like you are now lol

How about you name the specific book that is banned...instead of dumb general accusations....which you use because you know if you actually name the books, they will have graphic sex between children and or adults.....or they will be comic books like Maus, which weren't banned, but were replaced with actual books on the subject...

So please, start us off with one book that was banned so we can actually discuss the merits...

It really does not matter if an LGBT book being banned has sexual content in it. It will be banned either way. Any mention of a gay relationship is automatically condemned.

This doesn’t just apply to LGBT books. It also applies to books with Black Lives Matter content. Oh the horror!

The LGBTQ!WSXETG books are the ones we keep pointing out....the ones about little boys performing sex acts on each other and adults having sex with kids...so spare us.....

Why shouldn't parents have a say on the books in the schools their tax dollars pay for?

And on the subject of Maus.......why is it so important to have a naked woman in the book and to use swear words? If the subject it discusses is sooooo important.....then remove the naked woman, and the swear words.......but no, you leftists want to expose children to that content.......

Ok, so that one you would favor banning, then? And maybe advising school librarians to actually read what they are putting on the shelves? Gender Queer is a graphic novel on a junior high level, a school librarian should not find it too challenging or time-consuming to read. The title might tip them off that that particular one is worth screening first.

I'm guessing that if they got a book in called "The Important Role of Privately Owned Firearms in American History and Contemporary American Life," they would not blindly pop it on the shelf.

The idea that "Banning Books!" by not favoring them with tax-funded school library space is automatically wrong is absurd. No librarian claims that she should have no say in which books to stock and which books to not stock. The real question is who is the final authority over that process?
I don’t know what this book is, but yeah, if it has sexual content in it, it doesn’t belong in a junior high library. If the book simply depicts a gay relationship between consenting adults and is without sexual content, it’s stupid to ban it pure and simple.

The biggest problem i have with this is that if a book depicted sexual content in a heterosexual relationship, republicans in general would really not give a shit. Like if asked, they would say the book should be banned; but otherwise they would not be throwing the tantrums about it. There wouldn’t be this huge rightwing media backlash. They would just say “okay ban it. Problem solved l guess.” They would not be endlessly talking about ir.

And on Maus.......why isn't it f*****g creepy that the author put an image of his dead, naked mother in the book? A comic book that he wants targeted to children? And you guys see no problem with that? That he couldn't have put out an edition without that photo or the swearing and created the same freaking story?

You guys.....sell that crap to biden voters....we aren't Biden voters.....

Forum List

Back