Liberal arguments for supporting gun ownership rights

Virginia is working on that issue right now as a result of the VA Tech killings.

Hopefully, we'll figure out or create a good way to ensure that people with mental disorders etc. are prevented from getting a gun. I would support a by-pass mechanism so that an individual is actually looked at by a mental health professional and a report given with judicial review, so that someone who is not a legitimate threat doesn't get screened out by an automated system with no recourse.

a mental health professional? gee, that's reasuring. lemme let you in on a little secret here Tech_Esq, most of the kids who went to college exclusively for mental health were there trying to figure thier own selves out

and if we're going to subscribe to mental health screening here, i'd wager we'd be getting the same caliber lackies as airport security has now

face it, we're a gun culture, always have been, always will be

I bet that if guns never existed the same would be true with knives (that's if we assume you're telling the truth). Since criminals will always get guns from the black market why then should we restrict the citizen?

Gun death can be lowered by regulating guns better.

Background checks, that sort of thing.

Several states have done it and it works.

I'm just glad I live in a place where there are not many guns, and very little gun-related crimes and death!

Guns cause more deaths than they prevent.
Your patently fatuous denial of reality is no argument.

Arguably, every time a gun is successfully used defensively, that use prevents a death--even when the gun isn't fired.

Over a million times a year.

Why? Because guns used in defense are very rare in spite of the bogus stats from the gun lovers.
The statistics used by gun owners' rights advocates are surely not so bogus as those used by Kellerman.

More often it is a depressed teenager or an enraged spouse that uses a gun to kill.
When this is truen they are killing an unarmed victim.

It is a funny argument though.
What argument? That guns kill? CERTAINLY!

"We need lots of guns because there are lots of guns."
Who makes this argument?

We need lots of guns because there are lots of deadly criminals.

Why do you insist upon isolating "gun deaths" from the [other kinds of] deaths that defensive gun use so very often prevents? Why do you prefer [some other kind of] death to "gun death?"

Gun death can be lowered by regulating guns better.
Arguably, every time a gun is successfully used defensively, that use prevents a death--even when the gun isn't fired.

Why do you insist upon isolating "gun deaths" from the [other kinds of] deaths that defensive gun use so very often prevents? Why do you prefer [some other kind of] death to "gun death?"

Background checks, that sort of thing.

Several states have done it and it works.
Rational consideration of the facts, and your own statistics demonstrate you're wrong.

Why do you prefer [some other kind of] death to "gun death?"

Rational consideration of the facts, and your own statistics demonstrate you're wrong.

Why do you prefer [some other kind of] death to "gun death?"

you've mistaken chris for a sentient lifeform.

Report Links State Gun Laws To Rates of Slayings, Trafficking

By Cheryl W. Thompson
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, December 5, 2008

States with lax gun laws had higher rates of handgun killings, fatal shootings of police officers, and sales of weapons that were used in crimes in other states, according to a study underwritten by a group of more than 300 U.S. mayors.

The report, which was obtained by The Washington Post, found that 10 states, including Virginia, supplied 57 percent of the guns that were recovered in crimes in other states in 2007. The 38-page report is based on an analysis of annual crime-gun data compiled by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. The analysis tracks guns used in crimes back to the retailers that first sold them.

Report Links State Gun Laws To Rates of Slayings, Trafficking - washingtonpost.com

so Chris you dont believe a great many of your sources are somewhat slanted towards anti-gunness.....i mean i would not take as fact anything by the Brady people or a group calling themselves Washington Ceasefire....these people would claim squirt guns are dangerous.....

The state statistics came from the CDC website.

They are cold hard facts.

Who knows?

The husband having a gun made it easy for him to kill his wife and himself. That is the point. Guns make it easy for people to kill themselves and their family members.

Chris do you realize how stupid your post is?.....the guy was her husband,even if they did not give him the gun, im sure Chris the guy knew where the fucking gun was at......GEEZUS!!!

States that perform local-level background checks for firearms purchases are more effective in reducing firearm suicide and homicide rates than states that rely only on a federal-level background check, according to a new study by researchers at the Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee.

The study, led by Steven A. Sumner, BS, a third-year medical student, and Peter Layde, MD, MS, Professor of Population Health and co-director of the Injury Research Center at the Medical College, is published electronically in the May 2008 issue of the American Journal of Preventive Medicine, ahead of print.

Local-level background checks were found to be associated with a 27 percent lower firearm suicide rate and a 22 percent-lower homicide rate in adults aged 21 years or older.

Local Background Checks, Fewer Gun Deaths

Guns don't cause death. I've been around almost any kind of gun you can think of for the bulk of my life and I've never, ever seen a gun cause a death. I saw it almost happen once, in all those years. A round had a "hang fire" in a .50 cal. A soldier was policing brass near the gun and the round discharged. The round went down range, but the brass kicked back and hit the trunnion block shattered and hit the soldier in the hand. Could have been his head and if it was, it might have killed him. But that's as close as I've seen a gun causing a death.

Maybe you mistyped?

Chris does not realize someone has to pull the trigger......Apparently....

Forum List

Back