Liberals are more likely to unfriend you over politics — online and off

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Based on my own personal experiences, this is true. I have never lost a conservative social media friend for disagreeing with their views and have only ever been blocked on Twitter by one conservative who also proceeded to insult my "faggy soccer shirt" I was wearing in my photograph, but I have been "defriended" or blocked by several liberals for that reason, including a Bernie supporter just yesterday. The left, despite all their preaching of tolerance, practice it the least.

However, that doesn't mean liberals necessarily like all of the ideas they see. Consistent liberals were the most likely group to block or unfriend someone because they disagreed with their political postings, with 44 percent saying they had "hidden, blocked, defriended, or stopped following someone" on Facebook due to their political postings. Only roughly one-third (31 percent) of consistent conservatives had done the same -- although this might be attributable to lower levels of ideological diversity in their online ecosystem.

Based on my own personal experiences, this is true. I have never lost a conservative social media friend for disagreeing with their views and have only ever been blocked on Twitter by one conservative who also proceeded to insult my "faggy soccer shirt" I was wearing in my photograph, but I have been "defriended" or blocked by several liberals for that reason, including a Bernie supporter just yesterday. The left, despite all their preaching of tolerance, practice it the least.

However, that doesn't mean liberals necessarily like all of the ideas they see. Consistent liberals were the most likely group to block or unfriend someone because they disagreed with their political postings, with 44 percent saying they had "hidden, blocked, defriended, or stopped following someone" on Facebook due to their political postings. Only roughly one-third (31 percent) of consistent conservatives had done the same -- although this might be attributable to lower levels of ideological diversity in their online ecosystem.

Persecuted minorities tend to stick together more than non-persecuted, popular, beloved majorities. ;)

I have met fringers that love to tell someone how tolerant they are, and next they scream they can no longer be your friend because they disagree with your view on something...

I have Liberal, Conservative and Libertarian friends, but none will claim to be Tea Party...

As for me I am a Green Nazi Libertarian... ( If you do not know then look it up )

So my friends are more of a wanker than I can ever be...

if you can lose a friend based on politics, you haven't lost much ... especially a friend.

You know regressives, a bunch of bitchie little grils. Remember they've got to have their safe zones, otherwise life is just too hard.

Based on my own personal experiences...
First of all you conflate the left and progressive movements with liberalism. Being a life long liberal
Dante has never befriended anyone over anything -- except once where somebody was certifiably nuts. Nothing to do with ideology or politics. Dante's Facebook page has all kinds of weirdos like you from Boston and beyond. stick around and you might get an invite Error | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Dante has be de-friended mostly by progressive left and far right people. One group, the libertarian kooks seem to be defriending everyone. I suspect soon they will have their very own FB site

I have also experienced this. One post that they don't agree with and you're history. I tolerate a lot of the liberal bullshit and just move on, but my liberal friends, or should say ex-friends, couldn't tolerate a single opinion that didn't match theirs.

The people I tend to unfollow on facebook (though stay friends with) are those who post jokes that are a tad too vulgar for my tastes.

If this revelation is based on your personal experience, it could be that you are just getting more bat shit crazy, and right wingers are the only ones that will put up with that. Just saying.

I have also experienced this. One post that they don't agree with and you're history. I tolerate a lot of the liberal bullshit and just move on, but my liberal friends, or should say ex-friends, couldn't tolerate a single opinion that didn't match theirs.

The people I tend to unfollow on facebook (though stay friends with) are those who post jokes that are a tad too vulgar for my tastes.

I have the propensity to defriend those that don't know the difference between your and you're ...

jk

It's only because liberals are more likely to HAVE friends.

Conservatives mostly have fellow crazy cult members that they euphemistically refer to as 'friends'.

It's only because liberals are more likely to HAVE friends.

Conservatives mostly have fellow crazy cult members that they euphemistically refer to as 'friends'.

Friends like the Prodigal Son who spends money freely and recklessly only to run out of it someday.

I agree with OP, I am sure many here have muted me.
I could pull an Obama and blame it on my Indian race.

But, no, I will blame it on disagreement and standing ground. Which is a good think, compromise is way over rated...

that I could believe. watching them on many websites, hell just watching them out in public it's like they. eat, sleep and breath politics 24/7.
that must be what makes them such miserable and bitter human beings.

sometimes they're downright scary . you speak badly about one of their candidates you think they want to cut your throat . freakish

Forum List

Back