Libertarian Purity Test

You don't get to whine about "pejoratives," and then call somebody else a whiner when they call you on your hypocrisy.

The simple fact is that noninterventionism is the only libertarian foreign policy, and that runs the spectrum from minarchist to anarchist. In other words, there are no libertarians who aren't noninterventionists.

And you jumped onto me for describing libertarianism. Maybe the problem is you need to define your terms, namely: isolationism, non-interventionism, and while you're at it, hypocrisy.

Don't confuse non-interventionism with never doing anything. It's more of a stance in which we take no proactive measures, unlike the way we have been behaving recently with wars such as Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, et al. This country has needlessly been at war for nearly the entirety of time since WWII.

Iraq is debatable for several reasons. But what about WWII. We intervened in the Pacific after Japan attacked us, we intervened in Europe with no direct provocation. So you wouldn't have responded to Hitler?
The need for our action in both world wars is inarguable, and I highly doubt you will find many libertarians who would argue we shouldn't have intervened;

I would for WWI.

However with that being said we shouldn't intervene with countries for our own personal gain (e.g. Iran, Cuba, Guatemala, et al). There is an undeniable need to stay vigilant, but no need whatsoever to remain aggressive.

Not for conquest, no, though we have (had) a good case for invading Cuba. We haven't been imperialistic since the first part of the 20th Century. We helped rebuild the Axis powers when we could have taken real advantage of our status as the sole nuclear power and didn't. I don't think there's another power in history who showed the restraint we did when presented with the options presented by being the first superpower.

Forum List

Back