Like Cereal Killer, Sony caves to Terroristic threats

I kind of hated From Justin to Kelly....

10-just-to-kelly.jpg

We could threaten to force the increasingly inescapable yet strangely imperceptible Ryan Seacrest to clean toilets in the projects or how about just getting all those A.I. divas to stop making bad music???

In this case the terrorist won and Sony became their bitch.
this is true and they will probably never overcome the ridicule for caving. I see them going out of business quickly.

It's easy for us to say; being an ocean away and all from the nutjob with his finger on the button.

Sony world headquarters is in Tokyo Japan which is 735 miles away from Korea or basically 1.5 hours by air.

To be fair, it's not Sony's fault. All the major theater chains said they wouldn't show it, so Sony was pretty much forced into shelving it.

Since they are going to shelve the movie and take a loss on it, then Sony should show some nerve and release the Movie for free on the Internet.
More people would see it than if it was released in the theaters, it would really piss of the Koreans.
Two Questions :
Can Sony take a tax write off for shelving the movie?
Why were the Koreans not piss off about "Team America"?
th

To be fair, it's not Sony's fault. All the major theater chains said they wouldn't show it, so Sony was pretty much forced into shelving it.

Since they are going to shelve the movie and take a loss on it, then Sony should show some nerve and release the Movie for free on the Internet.
More people would see it than if it was released in the theaters, it would really piss of the Koreans.
Two Questions :
Can Sony take a tax write off for shelving the movie?
Why were the Koreans not piss off about "Team America"?
th

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony does release it online, although I doubt it will be free.

As to your questions:

1. I doubt it.
2. I have no idea.

this is true and they will probably never overcome the ridicule for caving. I see them going out of business quickly.

It's easy for us to say; being an ocean away and all from the nutjob with his finger on the button.

Sony world headquarters is in Tokyo Japan which is 735 miles away from Korea or basically 1.5 hours by air.

Sony Pictures, on the other hand, is located in California - and the threat was against American movie theaters, not Sony corporate headquarters.

Sony Pictures, on the other hand, is located in California - and the threat was against American movie theaters, not Sony corporate headquarters.

Doc...

You really think KJI will differentiate between the two?

Doc...

You really think KJI will differentiate between the two?

"KJI" is dead.

I'm just going by what the hackers have said.

The OP knows...terroristic threats mean punishment!

and you can't really blame the theater owners for making that decision. Why would they show a movie in one of their theaters that would either keep people away from all shows at the theater or in the worst case result in theater damage and loss of property and possibly life?

looks like capitalism made the decision for them. much safer for the bottom line to just not show the picture.

The threats put both Sony and theaters in a tough position.

What if just one theater did get attacked in some fashion with X amount of folks killed/wounded? Fast forward to the eventual courtroom where their decisions to show it would be litigated for lawsuits, prosecutions, etc. I can hear a prosecutor now...
"So, Mr. theater owner, in spite of warnings of violence if you ran the movie you just went ahead and did it anyway. Is that correct?"

Forum List

Back