LIVE: Obama giving a splendid lecture/scolding to American peasants on guns! BANNED private sales!

Like many Americans, I have no use for the Second Amendment. I believe the amendment is about federal restriction on state militias and contains no right of possession for individuals. That right it up to the states. But even more, I really don't care. I don't want an America where some deranged guy can murder a first grade class or shoot up a movie theater or a prayer meeting in church. I joined the NRA in the fifth grade and owned a gun all my life, but enough is enough. Whatever it takes, but no more slaughter of innocent citizens. That isn't what our Constitution is about.
what makes you think that?
Jesus told me so.

Like many Americans, I have no use for the Second Amendment. I believe the amendment is about federal restriction on state militias and contains no right of possession for individuals. That right it up to the states. But even more, I really don't care. I don't want an America where some deranged guy can murder a first grade class or shoot up a movie theater or a prayer meeting in church. I joined the NRA in the fifth grade and owned a gun all my life, but enough is enough. Whatever it takes, but no more slaughter of innocent citizens. That isn't what our Constitution is about.
Jesus told me so.
So you have no reasons for disagreeing with its obvious intent? Then why think it?

Obama is not going to keep us safe. We aren't safe. We have gun homicide rates that are through the roof, right up there with place like Uruguay or Somalia. Obama is going to try and make us safer. It will help, although nobody knows how much. If it saves the lives of just a few dozen of the thousands who die from guns each year, it is probably a plus.

How will this EO help? Please be specific.
It will expand the number of gun sellers registered with the government and reduce the number of guns sold without a background check. Currently some 40% of gun sales do not have a background check. Guns that travel through this loophole are disproportionately involved in crimes. Happy now?

...But that figure is based on an analysis of a nearly two-decade-old survey of less than 300 people that essentially asked participants whether they thought the guns they had acquired — and not necessarily purchased — came from a federally licensed dealer. And one of the authors of the report often cited as a source for the claim — Philip Cook of Duke University — told our friends at Politifact.com that he has “no idea” whether the “very old number” applies today or not. Even Vice President Joe Biden acknowledged that the statistic may not be accurate in a speech at a mayoral conference on Jan. 17. Biden prefaced his claim that “about 40 percent of the people who buy guns today do so outside the … background check system” by saying that “because of the lack of the ability of federal agencies to be able to even keep records, we can’t say with absolute certainty what I’m about to say is correct.”

The basis for the claim
is a 1997 report from professors Cook and Jens Ludwig for the National Institute of Justice. The authors concluded that “approximately 60 percent of gun acquisitions involved [federally licensed firearms dealers] and hence were subject to Federal regulations on such matters as out-of-State sales, criminal history checks, and record keeping.” They similarly concluded in a more detailed report published earlier that year that “approximately 60 to 70 percent of gun acquisitions occur in the primary market” from a licensed dealer.

Both of those statements were based on a single 1994 telephone survey on private gun ownership conducted by the Police Foundation and funded by the Justice Department. The survey asked the 251 participants who had acquired guns in the previous two years, “Was the person you acquired this gun from a licensed firearm dealer?” The answer choices were “yes,” “probably was/think so,” “probably not,” “no/definitely not,” “don’t know” and refuse to report. Cook and Ludwig found that 64.3 percent of those surveyed (Table 3.14) said that they had purchased or traded for a gun that came from a licensed dealer or “probably” did. The 40 percent figure comes from assuming that the remaining 35.7 percent — which has been rounded up — did not.

Guns Acquired Without Background Checks

Oops...
If your citation is accurate I don't care. I want gun control law like Japan's. I want the sort of background check you get in Japan. I want the gun death rate they have in Japan. I'm sick of the slaughter and the horror and I don't care what that tiny minority of gun nuts drooling over their closet full of guns thinks about the issue. If our government were acting constitutionally this debate would have been over years ago. Politicians whoring for the gun industry is un-American.

So you quote a statistic, it's proven inaccurate, you don't care because you want...

You may as well have said "100% of gun sales have no background checks" it would carry just as much weight in your mind.

You see, this is why there is no rational discussion with gun control advocates. They don't care. About anyone's rights. Unless the rights conform to their own beliefs. Some on the other side of the debate are just as bad.

Fuck the Constitution, ain't that right Fishlose?

Obama is not going to keep us safe. We aren't safe. We have gun homicide rates that are through the roof, right up there with place like Uruguay or Somalia. Obama is going to try and make us safer. It will help, although nobody knows how much. If it saves the lives of just a few dozen of the thousands who die from guns each year, it is probably a plus.

It will expand the number of gun sellers registered with the government and reduce the number of guns sold without a background check. Currently some 40% of gun sales do not have a background check. Guns that travel through this loophole are disproportionately involved in crimes. Happy now?

...But that figure is based on an analysis of a nearly two-decade-old survey of less than 300 people that essentially asked participants whether they thought the guns they had acquired — and not necessarily purchased — came from a federally licensed dealer. And one of the authors of the report often cited as a source for the claim — Philip Cook of Duke University — told our friends at Politifact.com that he has “no idea” whether the “very old number” applies today or not. Even Vice President Joe Biden acknowledged that the statistic may not be accurate in a speech at a mayoral conference on Jan. 17. Biden prefaced his claim that “about 40 percent of the people who buy guns today do so outside the … background check system” by saying that “because of the lack of the ability of federal agencies to be able to even keep records, we can’t say with absolute certainty what I’m about to say is correct.”

The basis for the claim
is a 1997 report from professors Cook and Jens Ludwig for the National Institute of Justice. The authors concluded that “approximately 60 percent of gun acquisitions involved [federally licensed firearms dealers] and hence were subject to Federal regulations on such matters as out-of-State sales, criminal history checks, and record keeping.” They similarly concluded in a more detailed report published earlier that year that “approximately 60 to 70 percent of gun acquisitions occur in the primary market” from a licensed dealer.

Both of those statements were based on a single 1994 telephone survey on private gun ownership conducted by the Police Foundation and funded by the Justice Department. The survey asked the 251 participants who had acquired guns in the previous two years, “Was the person you acquired this gun from a licensed firearm dealer?” The answer choices were “yes,” “probably was/think so,” “probably not,” “no/definitely not,” “don’t know” and refuse to report. Cook and Ludwig found that 64.3 percent of those surveyed (Table 3.14) said that they had purchased or traded for a gun that came from a licensed dealer or “probably” did. The 40 percent figure comes from assuming that the remaining 35.7 percent — which has been rounded up — did not.

Oops...
If your citation is accurate I don't care. I want gun control law like Japan's. I want the sort of background check you get in Japan. I want the gun death rate they have in Japan. I'm sick of the slaughter and the horror and I don't care what that tiny minority of gun nuts drooling over their closet full of guns thinks about the issue. If our government were acting constitutionally this debate would have been over years ago. Politicians whoring for the gun industry is un-American.
maybe you should move to Japan.

Jesus told me so.
You are a retarded nut.

How many Americans?

At last, a politician offering more than "thoughts and prayers". Background checks work. More stringent checks will work better. Makes sense.

Like the last three states the laws are already in effect. California, Colorado and Oregon.

The basis for the claim

Oops...

You mean like politicians whoring for unions and trial lawyers?

I think we should totally eliminate recreational drug usage in this country. Be more like Singapore. No illegal drugs there. No sellers of illegal drugs in Singapore. No gang fights or murders in Singapore. No home or business robberies for drugs in Singapore.

Oh, I forgot why they don't have our problem: they execute anybody even suspected of using illegal drugs.

Even if Obama started giving away new cars like Oprah it wouldn't help his legacy.

No, most guns used in crimes are obtained through straw buyers or illegal stolen guns. Can you name one crime where somebody on the No Fly list ever legally purchased a gun and committed a crime with it?

'Obama's gonna keep us safe'?

1. Armed Mexican Drug Cartels
- 500+ / 2 Americans dead

2. Allowed Boston Marathon Terrorist Attack
- Warned by Russia / Putin
- Told the identities of the Brothers
- Failed to do anything to prevent the attack
- Put their pictures on TV after the attack and asked Americans to help ID the two, as if he had never heard of them so no one would know how badly he had F*ed up

3. Ca Terrorist Attack
- Mocked Americans for their valid concerns for our national security and their safety, claiming his 'thorough' background checks left nothing to fear except 'widows and orphans'....only to allow a terrorist into the US, resulting in the deaths of 14 MORE Americans

4. Hired an Al Qaeida-associated militia to protect the NOW DEAD U.S. Ambassador

5. Had his Atty General threaten US citizens, after he allowed a terrorist to murder US citizens, in an attempt to 'protect' Muslims

6. Just sent more US troops into harm's way in the ME because he allowed ISIS to enter Iraq un-opposed, taking over much of the nation our troops had already liberated at great expense .... and because Obama is obsessed with dragging the US into a Syrian Civil War to oust Assad

Here's just the top 6 ways Obama 'has kept / is keeping Americans safe'! Now he's trying to burden further and strip LAW-ABIDING citizens of their weapons needed to protect THEMSELVES...because Obama has proven he CAN'T / WON'T.

Get a load of this whopper...Obungles lying out his overused ass

The White House

✔@WhiteHouse

"A violent felon can buy the exact same weapon over the internet with no background check, no questions asked." —@POTUS #StopGunViolence
President Obama's boldest action on guns yet, explained

Obama's executive actions are a small but significant tweak to existing laws. In the US, there are several restrictions in federal law to buying a gun. Generally, the idea is that Americans who are underage, have serious criminal backgrounds, or are mentally ill should not be able to purchase a firearm.

Whether someone falls into any of these categories is typically evaluated through a background check: Under the federal system, licensed dealers are required to run these checks before they can sell someone a gun, typically by having the FBI check a person's criminal record, mental health history, and other factors. If someone fails a background check, he or she can't legally buy a gun.

But the system is riddled with loopholes. The most well-known way to bypass background checks is the private sales loophole: If someone purchases a gun from a private seller, such as a friend or family member, no gun background check is required. This is often mischaracterized as the "gun show loophole," under the assumption that people can simply go to a gun show and buy a gun without getting a background check. But licensed dealers at gun shows still have to carry out a background check. The actual loophole is that someone can meet with a private seller at a gun show — or, increasingly, over the internet — and buy a firearm from that person without a background check. In other words, the gun show doesn't create a loophole; the private sale does.

Free background checks I assume.
For private sales, why not?
Do you think the NRA controlled GOP would allow private sale background checks if they were free?

FACT SHEET: New Executive Actions to Reduce Gun Violence and Make Our Communities Safer

With another executive action hahaha what a joke. Look out criminals you'll no longer be able to buy a gun. Hahaha!

What's gained by making it easy for criminals to buy guns? What do you gain personally, or shouldn't I ask?

Last time I checked criminals don't DO background checks. Uhhh, that's one of the things that makes them "criminals" They don't follow laws. Do you understand?

Criminals don't obey laws. That's what makes them criminals you fucking retard.

Exactly. So what on earth makes you think they will follow THIS law? Dumbshit...

Because once background check loopholes are eliminated, then we can jail YOU for making a private sale of a handgun to an ineligible buyer.

So what do you think we should do when people sell their used car to a person with multiple DUI's and he (or she) kills somebody while drunk? Think we should be able to run a criminal history on each buyer of cars before we're allowed to sell them one?

Get a load of this whopper...Obungles lying out his overused ass

The White House

✔@WhiteHouse

"A violent felon can buy the exact same weapon over the internet with no background check, no questions asked." —@POTUS #StopGunViolence
President Obama's boldest action on guns yet, explained

Obama's executive actions are a small but significant tweak to existing laws. In the US, there are several restrictions in federal law to buying a gun. Generally, the idea is that Americans who are underage, have serious criminal backgrounds, or are mentally ill should not be able to purchase a firearm.

Whether someone falls into any of these categories is typically evaluated through a background check: Under the federal system, licensed dealers are required to run these checks before they can sell someone a gun, typically by having the FBI check a person's criminal record, mental health history, and other factors. If someone fails a background check, he or she can't legally buy a gun.

But the system is riddled with loopholes. The most well-known way to bypass background checks is the private sales loophole: If someone purchases a gun from a private seller, such as a friend or family member, no gun background check is required. This is often mischaracterized as the "gun show loophole," under the assumption that people can simply go to a gun show and buy a gun without getting a background check. But licensed dealers at gun shows still have to carry out a background check. The actual loophole is that someone can meet with a private seller at a gun show — or, increasingly, over the internet — and buy a firearm from that person without a background check. In other words, the gun show doesn't create a loophole; the private sale does.

Free background checks I assume.
For private sales, why not?
Do you think the NRA controlled GOP would allow private sale background checks if they were free?

I was being facetious. Sorta like offering wanting criminal the opportunity to visit a prison free.
Nothing's free anyway----taxpayer money to do background checks on ourselves. great idea.

Firearms used in most crimes are one of two things - stolen or black market south of the border.
Progressives are stupid as dirt...

Your right lass .

We should have guns available out of vending machines for anyone to buy! Is that what you want ?

No but an American should not have to register a gun, that's the first step in confiscation

Hold up. President Obama has not said anything about a registry.

Yet.
Hold up, if people have to register and pass an application to purchase a gun, does that not create a registry by default?

What's wrong with a registry? What is on your agenda that a registry might threaten?

It's the liberal history of control.

I remember when cigarette control first came out. They said they would be happy if we just outlawed them in movie theaters. Now you can't even smoke outside in parks or on beaches yet alone in a bar or restaurant.

I remember when gays just wanted to come out of the closet. That's all they wanted to make them happy. Today gays have forced society to accept their marriage and even adopt children.

I remember when the environmental movement started. They just wanted to get rid of lead in paint and gasoline. After spending trillions of dollars on hundreds of regulations, environmentalists tell us we are still doomed, we still have climate change, and we need trillions of dollars more to make us greener.

And now you ask what a gun registry might threaten???

Forum List

Back