Los Angeles has plan for property owners to build backyard homeless shelters

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
What could possibly go wrong with having some crackheads living in your back yard?

"Los Angeles approves plan to pay property owners to build houses or renovate garages in their backyards for homeless people to live in.

City officials in Los Angles want to help pay homeowners with extra space to put small accommodations in their backyards for homeless people.

Los Angeles county has been facing a growing homeless population, and there are currently nearly 58,000 people without living shelter.

Last month protests called 'Not in my backyard,' blocked new homeless housing in Temple City and delayed it in Boyle Heights.

The protests also killed a project in neighboring Orange County to relocate homeless people living on the streets into shelters.

But now, a project has been approved that will pay people in the county to put up basic homes or units in their backyard that homeless people can then rent at a low cost, the Los Angeles Times reported."

Los Angeles officials want to pay property owners to build houses for homeless people to live in | Daily Mail Online

4B106C0E00000578-5605739-Pictured_is_one_of_the_homes_built_during_a_similar_housing_proj-a-24_1523497057474.jpg

I live in a guest house in a back yard. The county wants to tear down all rentals on private property that are not multifamily apartments.

They are confused.

Then more homeless will come to town and set up drug camps under tarps outside of the houses built for the current homeless.

It's not the worst idea I've ever heard of for trying to help homeless people.

I realize that a lot of you may consider the idea from the standpoint of 50-somethings living in the 'burbs with 2.5 kids. In that setting, no, the idea probably isn't going anywhere. I can't imagine folks in Hancock Park participating in the initiative. Echo Park, Highland Park, Central L.A., Los Feliz, Hollywood proper, maybe Silver Lake, other areas that aren't suburban feeling...sure I can see folks there giving it a try.

If on the other hand one considers the matter as might a young person or as a DINK couple buying their first home in the city, it's not at all a terrible idea. Many young professionals buy homes in the city because they are fixer-uppers on nice lots in transitioning areas -- parts of the city that are somewhat depressed (thus the price is right, so to speak), but that are on the upswing -- and because being in the city offers many conveniences, not the least of which is a vibrant social life and short commute times or reverse commutes to their office in the commercial 'burbs.

The noted proposal would be great for first-time buyers of that sort. It provides them with a bit of supplemental income, provides them with some pre-AGI tax deduction opportunities, and allows them to make a substantial improvement to their property at a greatly reduced net cost. Insofar as we're talking about residents in transitioning areas, the homeless people are still there; thus encountering them is something the new buyers will have to do anyway.

The first house I bought in D.C., was in a section of town that is posh now, but back then it was several blocks east of the ongoing "urban renewal." It took about three years for my street to become part of what was then called "trendy" and over a decade for it to become posh, but that was okay because that's what I was banking on happening and it did. It was three story row house that had fallen into disrepair, but it had "tight" space for three cars to park behind the house, and it was in the center of the city. I could walk to the bars and clubs I liked in Georgetown and Adams Morgan. There were grocers, restaurants, dry cleaners, ample taxi service, etc., and the Metro was a few blocks away.

That said, when the weather was particularly bad, homeless folks would break into my car and sleep in it. I'm not the only person to whom that happened. It was a fairly common occurrence. Eventually, I got wise and stopped locking the car. I left a note in the front and rear windows: "The car isn't locked. If you need a dry place to sleep, fine, but please don't damage the car and open the door if you're going to smoke."

That solved the problem. The homeless person(s) who used my car for shelter got what they needed and I got what I needed. They weren't bothering me, so I had no reason to be irked with them. Hell, every once in a while, I'd go out to find someone had washed my car -- I suspect they were drinking my water too and using it to rinse piss away, which, frankly, didn't bother me because had my parking spot started to smell of piss, I'd have put up a fence in a NY minute --- or dug the snow out from around the car. On occasion, I'd leave a snack or something to drink. Christmas time'd come and I'd leave a case of beer and $50. The beer cans ended up in my trash bins.

That went on for several years before I eventually got round to converting my parking space into a garage. I sure wouldn't have minded the city offering me a deal to convert part of my parking space into a small flat of sorts, I'd most certainly have taken the deal.

The thing about living in a city is that one is sooner or later going to encounter and develop some sort of relationship with folks who are very different from oneself. One can either embrace that happenstance and foment positive relationships or one can be an ass. Frankly, I think it takes less energy and is more rewarding to do the former than it does to be the latter. So long as we're talking just homeless people, I don't have a problem with them -- of course, there's a "bad apple" here and there, I won't deny that -- for just being halfway decent toward them is enough to get the same in return.

What could possibly go wrong with having some crackheads living in your back yard?

"Los Angeles approves plan to pay property owners to build houses or renovate garages in their backyards for homeless people to live in.

City officials in Los Angles want to help pay homeowners with extra space to put small accommodations in their backyards for homeless people.

Los Angeles county has been facing a growing homeless population, and there are currently nearly 58,000 people without living shelter.

Last month protests called 'Not in my backyard,' blocked new homeless housing in Temple City and delayed it in Boyle Heights.

The protests also killed a project in neighboring Orange County to relocate homeless people living on the streets into shelters.

But now, a project has been approved that will pay people in the county to put up basic homes or units in their backyard that homeless people can then rent at a low cost, the Los Angeles Times reported."

Los Angeles officials want to pay property owners to build houses for homeless people to live in | Daily Mail Online

4B106C0E00000578-5605739-Pictured_is_one_of_the_homes_built_during_a_similar_housing_proj-a-24_1523497057474.jpg

AGENDA 21--- AGENDA 2050 . what some think are conspiracies unfold right in front of them.

Oh and you won't be sheltering your homeless little Veteran down the street either it will be those fks who aren't even born Americans.

I realize that a lot of you may consider the idea from the standpoint of 50-somethings living in the 'burbs with 2.5 kids. In that setting, no, the idea probably isn't going anywhere. I can't imagine folks in Hancock Park participating in the initiative. Echo Park, Highland Park, Central L.A., Los Feliz, Hollywood proper, maybe Silver Lake, other areas that aren't suburban feeling...sure I can see folks there giving it a try.

If on the other hand one considers the matter as might a young person or as a DINK couple buying their first home in the city, it's not at all a terrible idea. Many young professionals buy homes in the city because they are fixer-uppers on nice lots in transitioning areas -- parts of the city that are somewhat depressed (thus the price is right, so to speak), but that are on the upswing -- and because being in the city offers many conveniences, not the least of which is a vibrant social life and short commute times or reverse commutes to their office in the commercial 'burbs.

The noted proposal would be great for first-time buyers of that sort. It provides them with a bit of supplemental income, provides them with some pre-AGI tax deduction opportunities, and allows them to make a substantial improvement to their property at a greatly reduced net cost. Insofar as we're talking about residents in transitioning areas, the homeless people are still there; thus encountering them is something the new buyers will have to do anyway.

The first house I bought in D.C., was in a section of town that is posh now, but back then it was several blocks east of the ongoing "urban renewal." It took about three years for my street to become part of what was then called "trendy" and over a decade for it to become posh, but that was okay because that's what I was banking on happening and it did. It was three story row house that had fallen into disrepair, but it had "tight" space for three cars to park behind the house, and it was in the center of the city. I could walk to the bars and clubs I liked in Georgetown and Adams Morgan. There were grocers, restaurants, dry cleaners, ample taxi service, etc., and the Metro was a few blocks away.

That said, when the weather was particularly bad, homeless folks would break into my car and sleep in it. I'm not the only person to whom that happened. It was a fairly common occurrence. Eventually, I got wise and stopped locking the car. I left a note in the front and rear windows: "The car isn't locked. If you need a dry place to sleep, fine, but please don't damage the car and open the door if you're going to smoke."

That solved the problem. The homeless person(s) who used my car for shelter got what they needed and I got what I needed. They weren't bothering me, so I had no reason to be irked with them. Hell, every once in a while, I'd go out to find someone had washed my car -- I suspect they were drinking my water too and using it to rinse piss away, which, frankly, didn't bother me because had my parking spot started to smell of piss, I'd have put up a fence in a NY minute --- or dug the snow out from around the car. On occasion, I'd leave a snack or something to drink. Christmas time'd come and I'd leave a case of beer and $50. The beer cans ended up in my trash bins.

That went on for several years before I eventually got round to converting my parking space into a garage. I sure wouldn't have minded the city offering me a deal to convert part of my parking space into a small flat of sorts, I'd most certainly have taken the deal.

The thing about living in a city is that one is sooner or later going to encounter and develop some sort of relationship with folks who are very different from oneself. One can either embrace that happenstance and foment positive relationships or one can be an ass. Frankly, I think it takes less energy and is more rewarding to do the former than it does to be the latter. So long as we're talking just homeless people, I don't have a problem with them -- of course, there's a "bad apple" here and there, I won't deny that -- for just being halfway decent toward them is enough to get the same in return.

LMFAO SUCKERrrrrrr

Why not use public land and build tiny houses? Never heard of "Habitat for Humanity"? They can't find any public land to do this on, or do they not want to?

SOUNDS LIKE SCIENCE FICTION...OR SOME CONSPIRACY THEORY...BUT IT ISN'T.

UN Agenda 21/Sustainable Development is the action plan implemented worldwide to inventory and control all land, all water, all minerals, all plants, all animals, all construction, all means of production, all energy, all education, all information, and all human beings in the world. INVENTORY AND CONTROL.----Rosa Koire
DEMOCRATS  AGAINST  U. N.  AGENDA  21

the best part is we are moving in agenda 2050

The woman who has been trying to make people aware of this has been doing it for years.
One of her best videos is called " BEHIND THE GREEN MASK" .

I assume all these 'shanty' homes will have to have running water/sewage systems/electric/heating systems/AC/etc etc. Who is going to pay for these utilities to be put in?
The first time a 'homeless' person decides to have a pool party in the backyard and invites forty of his friends over to get loaded we'll see how the 'solution' works out.
Or isn't the 'homeless' person allowed to use the backyard or invite any friends over for a party?

Why not use public land and build tiny houses? Never heard of "Habitat for Humanity"? They can't find any public land to do this on, or do they not want to?

It is because everything you don't want to believe is the reason why. Infowars knew of this happening decades ago the more he warned the more he got the conspiracy bs, It's unfolding in front of everyone t is slow, slick, sneaky where it all looks like it helps people that is not hwy they are doing it all.

Here is the perfect example
upload_2018-4-12_7-7-13.png

upload_2018-4-12_7-7-54.png

SANTA  ROSA  NEIGHBORHOOD  COALITION

Because nobody wants to believe it's true.

Because nobody wants to take the time to learn from someone who was a
(
Rosa Koire is a retired forensic commercial real estate appraiser specializing in eminent domain valuation. Her twenty-eight year career with the California Department of Transportation (District Branch Chief) as an expert witness on land use has culminated in exposing the impacts of Sustainable Development on private property rights and individual liberty. )

nobody wants to listen and then wonder how forcing people to live in a shoe box, or on your property happens

Rosa Koire - Behind The Green Mask - Home

"Behind the Green Masked Shanty-Town" would be as one-world-order military operation. Habitat for Humanity also raises money with such things as Audobon-sponsored art: bird feeders/houses (New Mexico). However, drug addictions are nomadic and will simply go elsewhere until the Wall is built/manned and operating (21-pound heroin bust at Cinci).

An example is here:

11 Ap 2018 Texas Couple Accused of Strangling Woman with Bungee Cord While She Drove, Then Burning Body
Texas Couple Accused of Strangling Woman With Bungee Cord While She Drove, Then Burning Body

And now they want it to be voluntary.....and then it will be mandatory.....that is how the left works.....

Wrong....this is just the opening step......the "it's voluntary," step. Once the uninformed, but good intentioned, Americans sign on to this.......it will no longer be voluntary and if you do not volunteer you will be taxed until you do, you will not be allowed to buy a home, you will not be allowed to sell your home....and on and on....

This is a scam....escape from that insane asylum before they build the wall to keep you in....

Forum List

Back