Low levels of air pollution increase lung cancer and heart failure risk

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
Low levels of air pollution increase lung cancer and heart failure risk
Low levels of air pollution increase lung cancer and heart failure risk - Telegraph

Small increases in air pollution that are well below current safety limits can raise the risk of lung cancer and heart attacks, according to two new studies.

Researchers found that long term exposure to microscopic particles of soot at levels similar to those found in suburban areas of Britain can increase the risk of lung cancer by up to 36 per cent.

The short term impact of the same levels of these sooty particles, which are produced by diesel exhausts, also increased the risk of being admitted to hospital or dying from heart failure by two per cent.

The particles, which are more than 100 times small than a human hair, can become lodged in the lungs and pass through into the blood stream, causing inflammation.

The scientists behind the two studies say that their findings indicate that current safety limits on air pollution are still too high and need to be lowered.

• Banned
Air pollution could raise diabetes risk
Children who live near busy roads may be at greater risk of developing diabetes later in life, a study suggests.

Researchers found that children living in areas with higher levels of air pollution, for example from exhaust fumes, are more likely to develop insulin resistance, a precursor to type 2 diabetes, by the age of 10.

Previous studies have shown that women in heavily polluted areas tend to have smaller babies, and low birth weight is known to raise the risk of type 2 diabetes, providing a possible explanation for the figures.

Air pollutants could also react with fats and proteins to cause cell damage or lead to higher levels of inflammation in the body, both of which could lead to insulin resistance, researchers said.

Scientists from Helmholtz Zentrum in Munich studied blood samples from 397 10-year-olds and estimated each child's average daily exposure to pollution from exhaust fumes.
Air pollution could raise diabetes risk - Telegraph

Wind, solar, wave, geo-thermal, nuclear=good!

There is no such thing as zero air pollution outside of a controlled environment like a clean room. Britisn is trying to use fear techniques to persuade people that energy use is dangerous and has to stop.

From the diabetes link article...

For every additional 500m in proximity between a child's home and the nearest main road, the chance of their developing insulin resistance increased by seven per cent, according to findings published in the Diabetologia journal.

Gee.. I think the extra 500m of exercise these tykes get walking to/from the school bus probably OVERWHELMS the exposure amount to NOx in terms of diabetes..

They should do the same study in the countryside. Maybe they're on to something...

There is no such thing as zero air pollution outside of a controlled environment like a clean room. Britisn is trying to use fear techniques to persuade people that energy use is dangerous and has to stop.

The EPA paid the American Lung Association millions of dollars to come up with bogus studies showing that their new regulations against cheap energy form coal would save tens of thousands of lives. I'm sure the British government did the same thing.

"Science" is largely a propaganda industry these days.

The EPA paid the American Lung Association millions of dollars to come up with bogus studies showing that their new regulations against cheap energy form coal would save tens of thousands of lives. I'm sure the British government did the same thing.

Post links for this, Pattycake, or be exposed for the baldfaced liar that you are.

I think of Beijing. And there are some who say China is thriving and that it's going to surpass us. They claim China is the economic model to follow even though the middle class there is hurting terribly. Oh, it isnt safe to go outside on alot of days in Beijing. Nice place.

Post links for this, Pattycake, or be exposed for the baldfaced liar that you are.

Post a link to any evidence there has been any global warming since 1998.

I think of Beijing. And there are some who say China is thriving and that it's going to surpass us. They claim China is the economic model to follow even though the middle class there is hurting terribly. Oh, it isnt safe to go outside on alot of days in Beijing. Nice place.

They need environmental regulations. ;)

I've seen China a few years ago. Americans would find it hard to belief the level of pollution in some major cities in China. If you haven't walked in a street with your eyes burning from the pollution, you probably wouldn't understand.

All progress has a cost. In China, that cost is going to be very high.

Last edited:

I've seen China a few years ago. Americans would find it hard to belief the level of pollution in some major cities in China. If you haven't walked in a street with your eyes burning from the pollution, you probably wouldn't understand.

All progress has a cost. In China, that cost is going to be very high.

Progress needs to be clean and China appears to be learning this lesson. They're building Hydro, wind and solar instead of so much coal.

Progress is also being able to give electricy with clean air ;) Doing both is what true progress looks like.

EPA and American Lung joined in 69 position.. Impossible to tell who's on top..

10/31/2002: EPA and American Lung Association Announce Asthma Research Strategy

02/15/2007: EPA awards $94,876 grant to American Lung Association for Chicago Clean School Bus project

This is the equivalent of corporate welfare for non-profits.. They even GET MONEY to LOBBY for MORE MONEY..

Sweet deal...

Where is the proof that China has made this so called "Progress". Exactly what I thought. Factory jobs that pay nothing are no sign of progress

Post a link to any evidence there has been any global warming since 1998.
Global warming and air pollution are separate issues. There are common causes, but it would be a mistake to consider them as one and the same. Global warming is a very long term effect measured in decades and centuries. The effects of air pollution are more short term. However, both are caused by the crap we dump into the air we breath.

Last edited:

EPA and American Lung joined in 69 position.. Impossible to tell who's on top..

10/31/2002: EPA and American Lung Association Announce Asthma Research Strategy

02/15/2007: EPA awards $94,876 grant to American Lung Association for Chicago Clean School Bus project

This is the equivalent of corporate welfare for non-profits.. They even GET MONEY to LOBBY for MORE MONEY..

Sweet deal...
Having a granddaughter that suffers from chronic asthma, I applaud the effort. The government wastes a lot more than $94,000 to build a teapot museum and lot more than that for raises to congress.

The American Lung Association is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to fight for healthy lungs and healthy air. Unlike Wall Street who spends million to garner billions in corporate welfare to increase their earnings, the American Lung Associations purpose is healthy lungs and air for all of us.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back