Low wage paying jobs.

Learn a trade, you'll can make as much money and you might actually use your degree.

Learn a trade. How does one learn a trade when they have no money to pay to learn that trade?
You learn a trade by applying for jobs in the field you want to learn about. It doesn't cost money. You start out at the bottom and learn from people who actually do it for a living, not from some school. Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.

I agree with your idea, but even that is becoming increasingly harder nowadays. I was driving past a Burger King a while ago and saw a sign saying "Looking for experienced fry cook". Since when did you need past experience to flip burgers? When I was a kid that is what you did at 16 or 17 years old. It may just be a matter of perspective, but quite a few places seem to be going the route of only hiring people with experience in what should be entry level positions.

LOW WAGE PAYING JOBS.

Low wage jobs were never meant to be held by families to pay for housing, food, etc but to supplement income for seniors and for the disabled and other unskilled labor or provide part time employment for teenagers and students. Those jobs has practically disappeared because they are being taken by illegal aliens who work two of them. Raise wages and they will totally disappear. Unemployment among black teens is 45% and among white teens is 24%. I don't see seniors welcoming clients at the door at Wal-Mart any more.

I don't know what Obama is talking about. The 15 lowest paying jobs already pay more than $9 an hour.
The 8 lowest-paying jobs in America - Business - Careers | NBC News ... s-america/

The reason teenagers can't find those minimum wage jobs is not so much because of illegals taking those jobs as it is the fact that overqualified people are working those jobs because they can't find anything better.

Learn a trade. How does one learn a trade when they have no money to pay to learn that trade?
You learn a trade by applying for jobs in the field you want to learn about. It doesn't cost money. You start out at the bottom and learn from people who actually do it for a living, not from some school. Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.

I agree with your idea, but even that is becoming increasingly harder nowadays. I was driving past a Burger King a while ago and saw a sign saying "Looking for experienced fry cook". Since when did you need past experience to flip burgers? When I was a kid that is what you did at 16 or 17 years old. It may just be a matter of perspective, but quite a few places seem to be going the route of only hiring people with experience in what should be entry level positions.
It doesn't hurt to apply for those jobs anyway. If they really need help, and nobody qualified has applied, they will hire you because after all, how long does it take to train somebody to stick french fries into a deep fryer? And if you can't find anybody to hire you, there's always self-employment. Problem is, most people sell themselves short and don't think they're smart enough to generate their own income. The ones who don't think that way, succeed.

Want a better paying job? Go to college or take up a trade. Leave the low paying jobs for seniors, students and the disabled.
The 8 lowest-paying jobs in America - Business - Careers | NBC News ... s-america/
Top Ten Lists :: Lowest Paying Jobs
The Best- And Worst-Paying Jobs In America - Forbes

It costs money to go to college. Lots of money. If you have no income, you can't get a loan to go to college, because you can't pay the loan back. If you can't get a loan, you can't go to college, can you?

Of course, times and circumstances are different from when I was young.

I arrived as an eighteen year old who spoke no English. Worked in the bush, and filthy factories until I learned enough English to go to school as an adult student in order to earn my high school diploma. While I did that, I lived on my savings, without a single penny from government.

In time I advanced from the factory floor to the office and became a computer programmer. Self-taught!

When I was young, my high school diploma was enough for limited advancement. Today, admittedly one needs more.

Enter my daughter. As a teenager she loved kids so much that she became a nanny after high school in spite of all my warning that it is a dead-end job. When she finally realized that I was right, she moved back home and enrolled in community college. She graduated with honors and became a nurse, a title she only uses as a part time job, because she preferred to stay home and look after our two beautiful grand kids.

There is enough crying about unfairness and how expensive things are. Young people should do something for themselves. That is the road to success, today, as it was 40 and twenty years ago.

Want a better paying job? Go to college or take up a trade. Leave the low paying jobs for seniors, students and the disabled.
Top Ten Lists :: Lowest Paying Jobs
The Best- And Worst-Paying Jobs In America - Forbes

It costs money to go to college. Lots of money. If you have no income, you can't get a loan to go to college, because you can't pay the loan back. If you can't get a loan, you can't go to college, can you?

Of course, times and circumstances are different from when I was young.

I arrived as an eighteen year old who spoke no English. Worked in the bush, and filthy factories until I learned enough English to go to school as an adult student in order to earn my high school diploma. While I did that, I lived on my savings, without a single penny from government.

In time I advanced from the factory floor to the office and became a computer programmer. Self-taught!

When I was young, my high school diploma was enough for limited advancement. Today, admittedly one needs more.

Enter my daughter. As a teenager she loved kids so much that she became a nanny after high school in spite of all my warning that it is a dead-end job. When she finally realized that I was right, she moved back home and enrolled in community college. She graduated with honors and became a nurse, a title she only uses as a part time job, because she preferred to stay home and look after our two beautiful grand kids.

There is enough crying about unfairness and how expensive things are. Young people should do something for themselves. That is the road to success, today, as it was 40 and twenty years ago.

I don't have your background but I was never really given anything except a place to live. I went to the service for the sole purpose, of avoiding the Vietnam war, and learning a trade. I spent 6 years doing so. Done pretty well for myself, I think, a lot of luck.

Last edited:

It doesn't hurt to apply for those jobs anyway. If they really need help, and nobody qualified has applied, they will hire you because after all, how long does it take to train somebody to stick french fries into a deep fryer? And if you can't find anybody to hire you, there's always self-employment. Problem is, most people sell themselves short and don't think they're smart enough to generate their own income. The ones who don't think that way, succeed.

You are right, always apply all they can do is say no. If they say no, apply again.

Forum List

Back