MAGA: Largest holiday sales in six years

It all boils down to consumer confidence. Remember six years ago was December of 2012. The economy was limping along but it was fine. That was one year before Commie Care enrollment. Remember that fines collected by those not having insurance was in excess of 3 billion dollars. That's 3 billion dollars out of our economy in 2015. So after 2012, money was sucked right out of circulation because of Commie Care.

According to your article in the OP, holiday sales were over $850 billion. $3 billion isn't a very big percentage of that.

I just wonder why Trump gets credit in your mind for consumer confidence while he is president, but Obama doesn't. I think presidents tend to get too much credit (and blame) for the state of the economy and I'm wondering why you think Trump should get credit for this year's holiday sales but don't seem to think Obama should get credit for the sales in 2012 (while you do seem to be blaming him for lower sales after that year). It comes across as inconsistent. :dunno:

Any rise under BO years were off a very low bottom. DJT years are gains rising off highs from 2017. perhaps?

There's some truth to that where the economy is concerned, but I'm not sure if it applies to consumer confidence. It would be interesting to see year by year holiday sales numbers.

I searched for it and didn't get up to date information. However I found this one that went up to about 2013. Sales for 2012 reached 2006 levels and leveled off through 2013.

View attachment 236983

The Times reported that sales for this year was 850. That would take it to between 2007 to 2008 levels just before the recession hit.

I would love to know how much of that 850 was put on credit.
good question. i've read through several reports but none really break it down like that. i did read we're headed to 1 trillion in overall holiday sales but yea, if on credit, that's more of a potential time bomb than a celebration.

NerdWallet's 2018 Household Debt Study
The average U.S. household with credit card debt has an estimated $6,9291 in revolving balances, or balances carried from one month to the next, the analysis found. This pernicious type of debt, which often comes with high interest rates that make it a challenge to pay off, can feel inescapable. About 1 in 11 (9%) Americans who have credit card debt say they don’t think they will ever be completely free of credit card debt, according to a NerdWallet survey conducted by The Harris Poll.2

To the chagrin of liberals who have told us of the stock market disaster, an upcoming recession, how employees are not making any money or jobs created were low-wage or part-time, it seems that consumers have an entirely different view.

According to the New York Post, sales for the season rose 5.1%. That's the highest in six years (Two years of Trump and DumBama's entire second term) which points to strong consumer confidence.

This does not happen on it's own. It takes leadership to usher in tax cuts, keep fuel prices low (which is unusual in this economy) and faith in the direction our country is going in. More people with more money creates environments like this. I wonder how the new leadership in Congress is going to destroy this?

https://nypost.com/2018/12/26/holid...OJ30zDNCrYNHm2stvJVqGXdOhwej9b8IYp-HRKtXtxT-A
Yeah cause 6 years ago you were talking about how great it was....

Define "put on credit".

Get it now...pay for it later.

Is this a new concept for you?

No but it's apparently a new concept for you.

For example: I bought everything for Christmas using a credit card, yet I paid zero interest, got cash back from the issuer and ended up with a bunch of $5 Whole Foods credits from Amazon....

Any Idea how my "buy now and pay it later" strategy of credit use is different from say someone using a card and paying nothing but minimum payments on that balance?

Now I ask again...

Define "put on credit".

If you're able to come up with a cogent response I might just help you answer your original question.

Define "put on credit".
if $850 billion was sold, how much on credit could be a good indicator of a strong economy or hope we *get* one soon to pay for it.

as for your 0% - i put $3k on "credit" to paint the inside of my house. 0% interest for a year. as soon as stocks recover some i'll sell a bit and pay off around $4k in total credit.

still credit - and if i don't get it paid off in the year (it will be) the interest will be killer.

Last edited:

Define "put on credit".

For example: I bought everything for Christmas using a credit card, yet I paid zero interest, got cash back from the issuer and ended up with a bunch of $5 Whole Foods credits from Amazon....

Any Idea how my "buy now and pay it later" strategy of credit use is different from say someone using a card and paying nothing but minimum payments on that balance?

Now I ask again...

Define "put on credit".

If you're able to come up with a cogent response I might just help you answer your original question.

you are the exception, not the rule. I am not going to play this stupid game with you. You can pretend that the US does not have a debt problem all you like, just do it without me helping your little fantasy.

Average Credit Card Debt in the U.S. in 2018 - MagnifyMoney

Americans paid banks $104 billion in credit card interest and fees in 2018, up 11% from the prior year, and up 35% over the last five years, as Fed rate increases have been passed on to consumers. MagnifyMoney analyzed FDIC data through March, 2018 for each bank whose deposits are insured by the FDIC.

The Average U.S. Household Owes $16,000 In Credit Card Debt

The average U.S. household owes $16,061 in credit card debt, up from 10% from $14,546 from 2006,

Define "put on credit".

Now I ask again...

Define "put on credit".

you are the exception, not the rule.
How do you know that? You don't have any numbers from this Christmas Season to determine what the average aging on revolving debt resulting from those sales is.

I am not going to play this stupid game with you. You can pretend that the US does not have a debt problem all you like, just do it without me helping your little fantasy.
LOL, What game? helping you answer the question that YOU posed in the first place? Do you often ask questions that you don't want to find the answer to?

It's pretty clear you didn't know what you were talking about to begin with and were just trying to impress yourself by asking what you THOUGHT was a relevant question, sorry to burst your ego bubble by asking for clarification.

Define "put on credit".
if $850 billion was sold, how much on credit could be a good indicator of a strong economy or hope we *get* one soon to pay for it.

You have to define CREDIT first, 30 days of aging on a balance isn't the same as 3 years.
no - i get your point and am using that "no interest for a year" on a major home update. also using paypal no interest for 6 months for a vast majority of my credit card purchases anymore.

just had to buy tires also. $980 for pirellis. 6 months no interest.

I think the strong holiday sales are because of Obama.

If it’s a bad thing, though....it’s definitely Trumps fault.

Define "put on credit".

You have to define CREDIT first, 30 days of aging on a balance isn't the same as 3 years.
no - i get your point and am using that "no interest for a year" on a major home update. also using paypal no interest for 6 months for a vast majority of my credit card purchases anymore.

You know what I was talking about and so does he. This is his way of virtue signaling about how smart he is.

How much of that 850 will be still being paid for next Christmas...and the Christmas after...

To the chagrin of liberals who have told us of the stock market disaster, an upcoming recession, how employees are not making any money or jobs created were low-wage or part-time, it seems that consumers have an entirely different view.

According to the New York Post, sales for the season rose 5.1%. That's the highest in six years (Two years of Trump and DumBama's entire second term) which points to strong consumer confidence.

This does not happen on it's own. It takes leadership to usher in tax cuts, keep fuel prices low (which is unusual in this economy) and faith in the direction our country is going in. More people with more money creates environments like this. I wonder how the new leadership in Congress is going to destroy this?

https://nypost.com/2018/12/26/holid...OJ30zDNCrYNHm2stvJVqGXdOhwej9b8IYp-HRKtXtxT-A
There goes the narrative.

Define "put on credit".

You know what I was talking about and so does he. This is his way of virtue signaling about how smart he is.

How much of that 850 will be still being paid for next Christmas...and the Christmas after...

Maybe we should raise interest rates super high so that people start saving their money. Who wants a bustling economy full of earning and consumption?

Let’s slow shit down! Right?

There goes the narrative.

Nothing pisses off a Liberal more than America doing well.

They fuuuuuuuuuucking hate it when America prospers.

Define "put on credit".

Exactly so assuming you take advantage of that zero interest offers and pay off the balances within the specified period, you're not only enjoying a net zero debt service effect but you're also getting an advantage from inflation ( converting dollars to products/services that's worth more than those dollars will be when you pay them back) plus any other incentives the issuers give you (i.e. cash back/airline miles/etc..,) and whatever your cash is earning during the period you're holding it versus paying cash up front.

The macro economically relevant statistic would be to figure out what the net effect those X-Mas sales had on the debt service load for the average consumer, unless of course you were trying to figure out the transaction volume for the credit issuers (i.e. how much of those sales transactions they got a piece of) OR trying to ascertain trends regarding modes of payment for the average consumer (i.e. how many people paying with cash/debit modes versus credit modes).

Forum List

Back