Maggie's Story

YWN666

Freelance Beer Tester
Nov 11, 2008
Maggie?s Story | godless in dixie

Maggie’s Story
Posted on September 20, 2013

I’d like to tell you a story about a woman named Maggie. Maggie is a very warm-hearted, loving, self-giving woman who poured herself into her faith, her family, and her church for many years. Maggie’s marriage was the envy of her church friends because she and her husband Josh made an excellent team, and they often led by inspirational example. Her career as an addiction therapist didn’t make them rich by any stretch, nor did Josh’s part-time maintenance job. But they were happy, and they shared a common vision for their place in the world according to God’s plan, as best as they understood it. Together they had three beautiful children who were already well on their way to following in their parents’ spiritual footsteps.

But Maggie was also a curious woman. She always loved to ask “how” and “why”questions and no answer ever seemed completely off the table to her. Josh could only identify with this hunger for understanding up to a point, after which he always encouraged Maggie to trust that some things will simply always be beyond our understanding and to simply trust that God is good and that he is ultimately in control. She wanted to accept these things, and she wanted to be as free from concern as Josh seemed to be, but she couldn’t override or suppress her own curiosity. About the time their youngest son reached school age, she began to rekindle her childhood interest in science: biology, astronomy, physics, psychology and sociology. She dove into reading books and articles about the deluge of new discoveries which modern science has yielded, and she began to question some of the beliefs which she and Josh had always accepted and had already begun passing on to their children.

This presented a major problem in Maggie’s marriage. The deeper Maggie got into her quest for knowledge, the more uneasy Josh became. They had always believed that spiritual pursuits were more valuable than intellectual ones, but now Maggie was becoming more enamored with the latter than with the former. She began to lose interest in church activities, and the preacher’s sermons were beginning to upset her for reasons that she couldn’t always articulate. Josh offered to pray with her about her concerns but somehow this only made matters worse. What Maggie couldn’t articulate and Josh couldn’t conceive was that Maggie was beginning to lose her faith in God completely. So much of what she was taught to expect from him had turned out at last to be a pipe dream, and reading the Bible only made her doubts more severe. She tried to find people around her to sympathize with her questions but everyone she turned to seemed to see her situation as a problem to fix, as if the real problem were with her and not with the religion into which she had been indoctrinated. After months of searching, studying, thinking, and praying, Maggie finally realized that she no longer believed in supernatural things at all. She tried telling Josh this one night but the subject upset him so deeply that she decided she couldn’t talk to him about it anymore for fear that her marriage might not survive this revelation. She clammed up and determined to keep this development from him in hopes that some day in the future they would be able to revisit the subject and have a more calm, sympathetic discussion of her new-found skepticism.

But that day never came. Maggie retreated into a double life in which she went through the motions of her religious duties and traditions on the outside while secretly hating the whole enterprise and longing to be free of it. She found friends online with whom she could vent and discuss her questions, using them as both sounding boards and confidants in her quest for intellectual understanding and authenticity. Josh and Maggie continued to be intimate but for Maggie the deeper connection was beginning to fade. Fear for the future of their relationship hounded her because she knew that what Josh wanted most was a spiritual partner, and she knew that she would no longer be able to walk alongside him in that endeavor. She was headed in a very different direction from him and she knew it would only be a matter of time before the truth would come out: She had become an atheist. Even the word itself made her shudder because decades of indoctrination had taught her to despise the word and what it stood for. Nothing good can come of atheism—or so she had been taught. And while she had begun to question the validity of that notion, she knew good and well that her friends and family would never be able to accept her or trust her if she became one of those.

Finally, one day the truth did come out when Maggie let it slip out during a session with one of her clients. Her client wanted a list of Bible verses dealing with addiction and Maggie sarcastically laughed out loud, quickly covering her mouth with her hand, unable to hide the look of sudden alarm on her own face. When asked about her response, she admitted honestly that she didn’t think a list of Bible verses would really help with anything. Her client was horrified and after she left Maggie’s little office she began telling everyone that Maggie no longer believed in Jesus. It was true that she didn’t, but Maggie had no intention of publicizing that because where she lived you had to be a Christian to be trusted. Anyone who wasn’t one kept that to herself for fear of ostracism or even professional ruin. She hoped the rumor would die down quickly, but it didn’t. Before long she found herself in her supervisor’s office, answering prying questions about her personal beliefs. Technically speaking, this kind of interrogation was against the law, but then again all the law enforcers and judges in Maggie’s vicinity are devout Christians, and they’ve never felt that enforcing this particular rule matters as much as spreading their faith to their community in every way they can. God first; country second. So Maggie lost her job................................

Nothing good can come of atheism—or so she had been taught. And while she had begun to question the validity of that notion, she knew good and well that her friends and family would never be able to accept her or trust her if she became one of those.

Finally, one day the truth did come out when Maggie let it slip out during a session with one of her clients. Her client wanted a list of Bible verses dealing with addiction and Maggie sarcastically laughed out loud, quickly covering her mouth with her hand, unable to hide the look of sudden alarm on her own face. When asked about her response, she admitted honestly that she didn’t think a list of Bible verses would really help with anything. Her client was horrified and after she left Maggie’s little office she began telling everyone that Maggie no longer believed in Jesus. It was true that she didn’t, but Maggie had no intention of publicizing that because where she lived you had to be a Christian to be trusted.

The story is bogus because we are instructed to dwell with an unbeliever if we find ourselves in that condition:

1 Corinthians 7:12 But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.

1 Corinthians 7:13 And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.

Marriage is about keeping people together and the Christian faith makes allowances for people not believing.

It is out of love that I would stay in the marriage for the unbelieving spouse.

That is the end of the Christian story and not what you posted which is fiction because it isn't based on the Bible.

Chuck, your personal concept of what 'fiction' means does not over-ride the accepted dictionary meaning - unless, of course, you are choosing to be on the side of anarchy and lawlessness?

Chuck, your personal concept of what 'fiction' means does not over-ride the accepted dictionary meaning - unless, of course, you are choosing to be on the side of anarchy and lawlessness?

I've been in the church many times listening to a pastor recommend that a spouse stay connected with an unbelieving spouse and I've seen lots of people get counselling. An elder told me that the whole church has to fight to keep them together if need be.

If I knew Maggie, I would be suggesting she sue the heck out of her job for religious discrimination.

That said, there was a good article on the website you noted - a plea for civil discourse.

Thanks,
K.

Loa,

I think there are laws for public accomodation but I am not a lawyer.

Some people sign an agreement for certain jobs that they are going to support what different places believe.

Chuck

Bigotry goes both ways. I submit that only bigot would assume that you would face "professional" ruin" or "ostracism" anywhere in the United States by admitting you were not Christian.

Nothing good can come of atheism—or so she had been taught. And while she had begun to question the validity of that notion, she knew good and well that her friends and family would never be able to accept her or trust her if she became one of those.

Finally, one day the truth did come out when Maggie let it slip out during a session with one of her clients. Her client wanted a list of Bible verses dealing with addiction and Maggie sarcastically laughed out loud, quickly covering her mouth with her hand, unable to hide the look of sudden alarm on her own face. When asked about her response, she admitted honestly that she didn’t think a list of Bible verses would really help with anything. Her client was horrified and after she left Maggie’s little office she began telling everyone that Maggie no longer believed in Jesus. It was true that she didn’t, but Maggie had no intention of publicizing that because where she lived you had to be a Christian to be trusted.

The story is bogus because we are instructed to dwell with an unbeliever if we find ourselves in that condition:

1 Corinthians 7:12 But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.

1 Corinthians 7:13 And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.

Marriage is about keeping people together and the Christian faith makes allowances for people not believing.

That is the end of the Christian story and not what you posted which is fiction because it isn't based on the Bible.

So anything that is not based on the bible is fiction? That's a load of bullshit.

If I knew Maggie, I would be suggesting she sue the heck out of her job for religious discrimination.

That said, there was a good article on the website you noted - a plea for civil discourse.

Thanks,
K.

As the article says, what they did to her was illegal but if the people in charge of enforcing the law look the other way, I guess you have to sue to set things right and I think she should have but then she would probably have been ostracized by her family and alleged friends.

Bigotry goes both ways. I submit that only bigot would assume that you would face "professional" ruin" or "ostracism" anywhere in the United States by admitting you were not Christian.

I've seen it happen. No assumptions made here. Atheists (as well as other non-christian believers) are not treated too kindly by some in certain bible belt areas.

So anything that is not based on the bible is fiction? That's a load of bullshit.

If I was a counseller and advertising Christian counselling and didn't believe then that would be fraud and I would be comitting fraud to the people around me who wanted someone who thought like them and wanted someone to be safe by identifying with their beliefs.

If you are saying that Christian means to not trust anyone when the Bible says to make accomodation with them then you are painting with a broad brush when I don't define Christian like you do.

When you have 666 in your username, that is your right but then we have to question the article because everyone has bias. What is your bias?

I've seen it happen. No assumptions made here. Atheists (as well as other non-christian believers) are not treated too kindly by some in certain bible belt areas.

The "Bible Belt" is a myth but here's the deal, nobody knows whether you are a Christian or not and nobody cares. If you establish an atheist center and nobody participates you could say that you were ostracized but that's pretty far fetched. Jews have lived alongside Christians before the Country was founded and the tolerance is extended to every religion or non-religion. Characterizing Christians as bigots is in fact a form of bigotry.

For Whitehall and ChuckT:

ChuckT, if the article said this woman signed a contract for Christian counseling services which entailed providing Bible based or Christian based counseling, then I missed it. If that was the case, then I would say the woman should have had the expectation the job wouldn't be hers any longer. But I didn't see that, so I was going with the idea it was secular/non-contract binding counseling.

Whitehall, you had something interesting comments on bigotry and from them, I know you probably realize much of it is subtle and anyone who is human can be guilty of showcasing it. Yet, what comes to the forefront for me is this: Christians say 'we' know something better that has been provided by the Lord's love, mercy and grace. I'd like to think we do these things better than anyone by having the example in our hearts.

Because of that, I never like to hear of someone being treated poorly by a Christian. It's like one negative takes one hundred good things to overcome. :)

Have a great Sunday, everyone!

K.

Last edited:
I think Maggie's story is a common one...if folks are truly honest, they would admit that most people of faith have serious doubts at one time or another. Doubts can come to be called Agnostic views, and Agnostic views can come to be called Atheistic views. Denying the doubt doesn't solve the problem of it (that is if it is indeed considered a problem in the first place.)

An open discussion should have ensued between both spouses about the situation and each spouse should respect the others position on the subject. Why would that be so difficult?

The "Bible Belt" is a myth but here's the deal, nobody knows whether you are a Christian or not and nobody cares. If you establish an atheist center and nobody participates you could say that you were ostracized but that's pretty far fetched. Jews have lived alongside Christians before the Country was founded and the tolerance is extended to every religion or non-religion. Characterizing Christians as bigots is in fact a form of bigotry.

"nobody participates" is a far cry from being fired illegally and there are plenty of instances where christians in the bible belt have tried to ostracize non-christians. The ACLU files are full of such instances.

Maggie needs to read up on how to grow a pair.

I disagree. She had the audacity to think for herself and as a result was treated like shit by the very people that profess to love one another.

"nobody participates" is a far cry from being fired illegally and there are plenty of instances where christians in the bible belt have tried to ostracize non-christians. The ACLU files are full of such instances.

And lets not forget the Southern Poverty Law Centers files. I'm sure they have some cases on file as well. :)

Her client wanted a list of Bible verses dealing with addiction and Maggie sarcastically laughed out loud ...

well, Maggie would still have known those or if not informed the client otherwise - the real point is the client was requesting a non medical response which would be inappropriate for a social worker to answer - being fired is ludicrous - the story is bogus unless non medical religious orientated facility.

the client deserved the laugh ...

And lets not forget the Southern Poverty Law Centers files. I'm sure they have some cases on file as well. :)

Here is a perfect example:

Press Release

The American Civil Liberties Union of Alabama today sued the Pike County School Board and Pike County school administrators for violating the constitutional right of students to freely exercise their religion; failure to stop the harassment, intimidation and threats to students because of their religion; and violating the constitutional prohibition against government endorsement of religion.

The lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court, is brought on behalf of the children of Sue and Wayne Willis of Pike County. Mr. and Mrs. Willis are Jewish and are raising their children in the Jewish faith.

The Willis children attend Pike County Elementary and Pike County High School. Over the last several years their religious faith has been denigrated repeatedly by teachers, administrators and students. They have been denied the right to practice their faith while other students freely practice theirs. They have been denied the right to express their religious beliefs while repeatedly being forced to participate in overtly Christian assemblies and classroom activities. The Willis children have also been the victims of religious bigotry and anti-Semitic hate crimes at the hands of other students. Faculty, administrators and school board members have done nothing to sop this persecution.

Mr. and Mrs. Willis have taken their concerns and complaints to all levels of school personnel and the school board during the last few years. Their efforts have been in vain. In response to a complaint from Mrs. Willis in April of this year, Superintendent John Key suggested that the continual harassment would end if the Willis family would convert to Christianity. One teacher, in response to Mrs. Willis’ plea, explained, “If parents will not save souls, we have to.”

Here we have the school superintendent not only admitting to the harassment but indicating that changing religions was the only solution.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back