Maine voters vote against transmission line that would have provided enough green electricity for one million homes

Drop Dead Fred

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2020
Some environmentalists supported this project because it would be a carbon free source of electricity. Other environmentalists opposed it because it would have required a lot of trees to be cut down to make room for the transmission lines. I think both sides have valid points.

I generally tend to side with the pro-electricity side, and I do so in this case.

Mainers vote to halt $1B electric transmission line

By David Sharp

November 3, 2021

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — Mainers voiced their disapproval Tuesday for a 145-mile (233-kilometer) conduit for Canadian hydropower that was billed as either a bold step in battling climate change or unnecessary destruction of woodlands.

Funded by Massachusetts ratepayers, the New England Clean Energy Connect would supply up to 1,200 megawatts of Canadian hydropower to the New England power grid. That’s enough electricity for 1 million homes.

Supporters said the project would remove carbon from the atmosphere and stabilize electricity rates across the entire region while helping Massachusetts reach its clean energy goals.

Critics contended the environmental benefits are overstated, and that it would forever change the forestland.

Some environmentalists supported this project because it would be a carbon free source of electricity. Other environmentalists opposed it because it would have required a lot of trees to be cut down to make room for the transmission lines. I think both sides have valid points.

I generally tend to side with the pro-electricity side, and I do so in this case.

By David Sharp

November 3, 2021

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — Mainers voiced their disapproval Tuesday for a 145-mile (233-kilometer) conduit for Canadian hydropower that was billed as either a bold step in battling climate change or unnecessary destruction of woodlands.

Funded by Massachusetts ratepayers, the New England Clean Energy Connect would supply up to 1,200 megawatts of Canadian hydropower to the New England power grid. That’s enough electricity for 1 million homes.

Supporters said the project would remove carbon from the atmosphere and stabilize electricity rates across the entire region while helping Massachusetts reach its clean energy goals.

Critics contended the environmental benefits are overstated, and that it would forever change the forestland.
Nonsense

All that needs to be done is raise taxes as raising taxes cures all of our ills.

Oh, and drive electric cars, stop eating meat, and never take another vacation on a jet plane.

But I think that is only common sense.

By David Sharp

November 3, 2021

My sister in law lives in ME and that power line wasn't going to be providing electricity to ME residents but to MA residents instead.

I guess you didn't read the fine print in the bill.

Why would any ME resident vote for the clear cutting of a large swath of ME's pristine wilderness to provide power for people in another state?

It was killed because it was approved outside of the law.... CMP and Massachusetts and Canada got the corridor approved somehow, without getting the 2/3s approval of our legislature....which was required under the law.

If they had done it legally, the legislature would have likely approved it, but they didnt....

So Mainers are punishing them....making them turn back the clock and do it with the approval of Maine's legislature vote....instead of paying someone off to slip it through.

It was killed because it was approved outside of the law.... CMP and Massachusetts and Canada got the corridor approved somehow, without getting the 2/3s approval of our legislature....which was required under the law.

If they had done it legally, the legislature would have likely approved it, but they didnt....

So Mainers are punishing them....making them turn back the clock and do it with the approval of Maine's legislature vote....instead of paying someone off to slip it through.
If people in MA want electricity let them build a power plant in their own state.

NIMBY Massholes

Its only 50 miles of clearcut, 100yards or so wide, the rest of the way to Canada is already cut with another corridor that was already there. But a mile or two of the 50 being cut, is State owned land....the law states it takes approval of our legislature for the State land....they skipped that approval...Mainiacs were pissed.

Its only 50 miles of clearcut, 100yards or so wide, the rest of the way to Canada is already cut with another corridor that was already there. But a mile or two of the 50 being cut, is State owned land....the law states it takes approval of our legislature for the State land....they skipped that approval...Mainiacs were pissed.
So what?

If NIMBY Massholes want power let them build a power plant in their state where they can clear cut their own trees

If people in MA want electricity let them build a power plant in their own state.

NIMBY Massholes
It's not a power plant that Massachusetts need.... They need green energy and no way to get it.....windmills off the coast is displeasing to them, no place to spread out solar panels, so they decided to go with green hydropower.....Canada has excess power from water and dams...hydro electric.

It's a fine cause, they just should have not skirt over us Mainers and our laws.

It's not a power plant that Massachusetts need.... They need green energy and no way to get it.....windmills off the coast is displeasing to them, no place to spread out solar panels, so they decided to go with green hydropower.....Canada has excess power from water and dams...hydro electric.

It's a fine cause, they just should have not skirt over us Miners and our laws.
Like I said NIMBY

1635938840980.png

nationalized 60 years ago

~S~

By David Sharp

November 3, 2021

Not intelligent to introduce lack where there’s nothing but abundance. If Maine baboons pretend they can’t find places to plant trees, their asses should be in Oklahoma. Boycott Chinese fentanyl.

My sister in law lives in ME and that power line wasn't going to be providing electricity to ME residents but to MA residents instead.

I guess you didn't read the fine print in the bill.

Why would any ME resident vote for the clear cutting of a large swath of ME's pristine wilderness to provide power for people in another state?
Progressives are actually against progress

oh well

IMO - the answer is single in-home solar where applicable.
Solar panels have came a long-long way since the 1980s.
Depending on the size of your home, it will cost between $15,000 to $30,000. Most homes somewhere in the middle of that.
But if single solar really took off - that would likely get cut by at least half.
Right now solar is not a good option due to that high cost, which will never pay for itself, due to replacement cost of batteries etc.

Forum List

Back