Major blue states hemorrhaging tax base as red states reap rewards

Well I dont know if a grocery store is the last word but HEB is certainly a Texas Icon for sure.
And it's a fantastic grocery store,the Wife and I wont shop anywhere else other than maybe a quick trip to Sprouts if we lack a vegetable for a recipe.
Mainly because they're right down the street and they have nice veggies.
To tell you the truth I dont know how the other stores stay in business. Their parking lots are empty while HEB's is packed.
My son, daughter-in-law and myself have been seriously looking into a move to Texas since their granddaughter moved almost a year ago. My deceased husband was from the Texas panhandle but I have just about fallen in love with Texas Hill Country. It looks like work is fairly easy to get if you don't stray too far from Austin.

My son, daughter-in-law and myself have been seriously looking into a move to Texas since their granddaughter moved almost a year ago. My deceased husband was from the Texas panhandle but I have just about fallen in love with Texas Hill Country. It looks like work is fairly easy to get if you don't stray too far from Austin.

I've owned several places on the South Llano river in the Hill Country and it's definitely a beautiful place to live.
Great weather very few mosquitos and other flying biting insects and a shit load of wildlife along with some beautiful rivers and lakes.
I regret selling our last place years back but the Wife and I plan on moving back after She retires.
As long as you dont mind all the liberals in Austin it's a fine place to live. Best bet is to live outside of Austin and commute into town.
It really saddens me to see what Austin has become since I frequented the city back in the 80's.

I've owned several places on the South Llano river in the Hill Country and it's definitely a beautiful place to live.
Great weather very few mosquitos and other flying biting insects and a shit load of wildlife along with some beautiful rivers and lakes.
I regret selling our last place years back but the Wife and I plan on moving back after She retires.
As long as you dont mind all the liberals in Austin it's a fine place to live. Best bet is to live outside of Austin and commute into town.
It really saddens me to see what Austin has become since I frequented the city back in the 80's.
I would seldom go to Austin. It all depends on what the Juniors decide but living in Austin itself isn't under consideration.

I would seldom go to Austin. It all depends on what the Juniors decide but living in Austin itself isn't under consideration.

Work out in the Hill Country can be hard to find unless you're in the city.
San Antonio is just on the eastern side of the Hill Country and there's plenty of jobs to be had.
Same with Austin,the smaller the city the harder it is to find a job.
What kind of work do you do?

Work out in the Hill Country can be hard to find unless you're in the city.
San Antonio is just on the eastern side of the Hill Country and there's plenty of jobs to be had.
Same with Austin,the smaller the city the harder it is to find a job.
What kind of work do you do?
I personally don't do anything. I'm a retired attorney. My son is a developer but he is looking to get out of that. My DIL is admin which is anywhere. One of the reasons for the move is for my son to get out of dev. He has two history degrees and a fine arts degree. He's been talking to some museums about taking on a curator position. Who knows.

I personally don't do anything. I'm a retired attorney. My son is a developer but he is looking to get out of that. My DIL is admin which is anywhere. One of the reasons for the move is for my son to get out of dev. He has two history degrees and a fine arts degree. He's been talking to some museums about taking on a curator position. Who knows.

You may have to take a job below your education level unless you go to San Antonio or Austin.
You might look into Fredericksburg,it's a small and up and coming town.

You may have to take a job below your education level unless you go to San Antonio or Austin.
You might look into Fredericksburg,it's a small and up and coming town.
It's up to them. I just tag along for the ride. I really like the Hill Country. I have seen pictures and some look like it could be New England.

Fortunately I do not need to rely on my earnings as an artist.

Thats where I'm at.
I retired 12 years ago and the Wife is ready to retire in the near future.
I've told Her to just stop working but She enjoys it.
In our 33 years of marriage she's only missed three days, all three were for dealing with me after surgeries.
I have never seen anyone with a work ethic like my Wifes.

It's up to them. I just tag along for the ride. I really like the Hill Country. I have seen pictures and some look like it could be New England.

It's obviously a lot dryer in the Texas Hill Country.
Junction where we had our weekend places got 16 inches of rain a year and the majority of times we got it six or so inches at a time.
The weather is absolutely fantastic there.

Not true.
I speak to California transplants here in Texas and they assure me they most certainly wont be voting for what made them leave California in the first place.

And you believe them ... that's funny ... Texas is already complaining about liberalism in Austin ... this will get much worse ... and you know it ...

The fact remains ... the hippies split from California when things got crazy ... there were no hippies in San Francisco during the Summer of 1967 ... they left the State ... that's what you'll get if you let Californians into your community ... liberals have money to relocate, conservatives don't ...

Last edited:
And you believe them ... that's funny ... Texas is already complaining about liberalism in Austin ... this will get much worse ... and you know it ...

The fact remains ... the hippies split from California when things got crazy ... there were no hippies in San Francisco during the Summer of 1967 ... they left the State ... that's what you'll get if you let Californians into your community ... liberals have money to relocate, conservatives don't ...
Liberalism in Austin is coming from the University.

Emma, the granddaughter and her dad and step mom are in Victoria TX. They left because the school was painfully woke. Everyone is much happier.

Half the guys in this thread bitchin about their States gettin Folks Moving there from California , Jersey , Oregon , Washington State and DC , Massachusetts , Baltimore Chicago ... are actually Social Liberals themselves and Never Trumper / Never GOPer turd party types who think of themselves as He Men Outdoorsmen yet in election cycle after election cycle they vote like Libera Oriental ( Asian ) Irvine California Soccer Moms ...

I don't think so.

---How Did Arizona Turn Purple—and What’s Next?---

---CALIFORNIANS MOVE EAST AND HOW THAT MAY IMPACT ARIZONA’S FUTURE---

You obviously missed my other post.
Californians that moved to places like Oregon and the surrounding states are likely dems which of course is why they moved there,those states are already left leaning.
Those that move to Texas of Florida are usually conservatives who've had enough of Commiefornia.

Are you kidding me?
Conservatives dont have money? All we've heard from the left is Conservatism is for the rich.
I live in the energy corridor in Houston and it's packed with wealthy neighborhoods.
And thats where most of these transplants live.

Forum List

Back