Man cited for "driving while eating". Good. Let's stop coddling these killers.

[
That is a matter of one's perception. Was he swerving down the road? Was he weaving in and out of his lane? The article doesn't say. If the answer is no then I don't see much of a case here. The law doesn't say anything about eating and the police office can't place himself in someone else's state of mind. Sounds like someone is trying to satisfy a ticket writing quota.

HAHAHA. So now the loony libertarians tell us eating a big mac while driving is NOT distracting??? That's why people laugh at you nuts.

I have always believed talking to someone in the passenger's seat is a lot worse than people think it is.

It is distracting though there's not much the law can do about that. You can't ban people from talking in a car. Perhaps a PR campaign would do some good. Billboards that said something like "Talking in a car endangers everyone in the car."

People are crazy. They think they have a "right" to drive a 2 ton vehicle at 60 mph on a public highway while eating or playing with a cell phone or whatever. This psychopath has no concern for the safety of others and should have his license suspended but he'll prolly just pay a $25 fine.

Man cited for eating while driving in Cobb County www.wsbtv.com

jan 18 2015
An Alabama man says he was cited by Cobb County police for “eating while driving” under the distracted driving law under the distracted driving law.

Madison Turner said he ordered a double quarter pounder with cheese from McDonald’s last week, and a police officer pulled him over, along Canton Road in Marietta.

“The officer explained to me that he observed me eating a burger for 2 miles,” Madison said. “He said specifically three times, you can’t just go down the road eating a hamburger.”

According to the ticket, the officer wrote him up under Georgia’s distracted driving law, and under the comments sections wrote “eating while driving.”

That law reads, in part: “A driver shall exercise due care in operating a motor vehicle on the highways of this state and shall not engage in any actions which shall distract such driver from the safe operation of such vehicle.”

I think anyone driving without two hands on the steering wheel for over a couple of minutes should be cited. This gives mothers a chance to attend to a baby in the back seat, ( or other emergency type reasons,) unless she needs more time in which to pull over from traffic at the first opportunity.

This would mean I would have to start driving with two hands on my steering wheel, which I am willing to do. I already do it often.

Forum List

Back