Man gets two years probation for confronting foreigner with a Puerto Rican shirt on

It’s a foreign island lol

Nope. Its a US territory. And everyone in it is an American.

The US is the States and Territories.

You simply don't know what you're talking about.
So you’re claiming Puerto Rico is not an island is that right Lol

Laughing...that's what you read? Try again, this time reading for comprehension:

But it’s a island.. sorry but that’s a fact

Hawaii is an island too, but they are also a state and can vote. Simply being an island isn't a qualification to be able to vote or not vote.

Lots of Puerto Ricans volunteer to serve in the military. I know because I served alongside many of them over my 20 years in the Navy. Just out of curiosity, how many years have you served in the military?
Screw Hawaii too! Cut them all off

A. Who monitors Maine to make sure it's complying with its probation? How are the residents of Maine affected by this probation? If it violates probation do we cast the state out of the union?

B. Puerto Ricans aren't foreigners nor is their flag; they are Americans
Are they really if they wear a Puerto Rico flag? How many PR regiments were called up to fight in ...anywhere?

Since 1917, more than 200,000 American citizens from Puerto Rico have served in the U.S. Armed Forces, serving in every conflict since World War I (Puerto Rico Federal Affairs Administration).

Ten Facts About Puerto Rico and its Citizens

ahhh wtf happen to free speech!?
How do you get jail time for calling out a foreigner for wearing another flag!?

We spent so much money on welfare to Puerto Rico and Puerto Ricans
We should be allowed to talk

Man gets probation for confronting woman over Puerto Rican flag T-shirt
Hello?? Puerto Rico is part of the US? Puerto Ricans are US citizens.
Would be like confronting a dude wearing a Confed flag T-shirt, right? No wait..because the Confederacy was a US enemy..and contemptible. Still...a person has the right to display it.

Anyway...free speech..protected speech..is a knife that cuts all equally. No matter the nationality..which in this case--was American.
US citizens have a vote, Puerto Ricans do not.
Incorrect..any Puerto Rican on the mainland can register and vote in their State of residence...and they can vote in local elections on the Island. The level of pure ignorance on display is breathtaking!
But they can’t on that foreign land

Laughing...that's what you read? Try again, this time reading for comprehension:

Hawaii is an island too, but they are also a state and can vote. Simply being an island isn't a qualification to be able to vote or not vote.

Lots of Puerto Ricans volunteer to serve in the military. I know because I served alongside many of them over my 20 years in the Navy. Just out of curiosity, how many years have you served in the military?

When did being an Island disqualify one from being part of the United States?

You just don't don't know what you're talking about.

Would be like confronting a dude wearing a Confed flag T-shirt, right? No wait..because the Confederacy was a US enemy..and contemptible. Still...a person has the right to display it.

Anyway...free speech..protected speech..is a knife that cuts all equally. No matter the nationality..which in this case--was American.
Incorrect..any Puerto Rican on the mainland can register and vote in their State of residence...and they can vote in local elections on the Island. The level of pure ignorance on display is breathtaking!

Save of course that Puerto Rico isn't foreign. Its US territory.

And its people are US citizens.

Your lies are just getting repetitive and boring now.

Puerto Ricans are American citizens attacking someone for being a Puerto Rican is pretty ignorant
I don’t think they are. I never got a vote
They are American citizens regardless of your approval or not.

Where to begin. First of all, the guy in the article sounds like a complete idiot, and a hateful person, but that said, the whole concept of "hate crimes" is deceptive and Orwellian. It's just another way for authoritarians to continually chip away at free speech and freedom of thought. If a crime is committed, the ACTION is the crime. Not the thought or belief a person has, wrong as it may be.

Secondly, don't fall for this divide and conquer crap that is continually pushed on us, on a daily basis. Why is this even a news story? Stuff like this is designed to make people angry, and to pit groups against eachother.

Thirdly, as others have said, Puerto Rico is a US territory, they are Americans. But even if they weren't, why so much hatred for "foreigners"? I don't understand that, I never have and I never will. (This is directed to the guy who started this thread.)

Lastly, to whoever it was that said this is "conservative" thing, um, no. Don't lump in all conservatives with some drunk idiot like the guy in this article. No conservatives I know hate all "foreigners." Just because there are a handful of those types here on USMB doesn't mean that's the way it is. Yes, conservatives are opposed to illegal immigration, but don't twist that into something else entirely, for conservatives as a whole.

How many conservatives do you know that hate fellow Ameircans?

As Puerto Ricans are as American as apple pie.
No they ain’t lol

Puerto Ricans are Americans.
Why can’t they vote for the president ?

Because the people don't elect presidents. The electoral college does.

Every Puerto Rican is a US citizen.

Which, of course, you already know. Making your 'foreigner' bullshit not only laughably wrong. But a foolish, intentional lie.

If your argument had merit, you wouldn't need to lie to support it.
Then why don’t they pay federal income tax?
Because there is no taxation without representation..and PR gets no vote..and is subject to territorial law--which does not change the citizenship of the residents at all. They are Americans.
So the people in DC pay no federal income tax?

Where to begin. First of all, the guy in the article sounds like a complete idiot, and a hateful person, but that said, the whole concept of "hate crimes" is deceptive and Orwellian. It's just another way for authoritarians to continually chip away at free speech and freedom of thought. If a crime is committed, the ACTION is the crime. Not the thought or belief a person has, wrong as it may be.

Secondly, don't fall for this divide and conquer crap that is continually pushed on us, on a daily basis. Why is this even a news story? Stuff like this is designed to make people angry, and to pit groups against eachother.

Thirdly, as others have said, Puerto Rico is a US territory, they are Americans. But even if they weren't, why so much hatred for "foreigners"? I don't understand that, I never have and I never will. (This is directed to the guy who started this thread.)

Lastly, to whoever it was that said this is "conservative" thing, um, no. Don't lump in all conservatives with some drunk idiot like the guy in this article. No conservatives I know hate all "foreigners." Just because there are a handful of those types here on USMB doesn't mean that's the way it is. Yes, conservatives are opposed to illegal immigration, but don't twist that into something else entirely, for conservatives as a whole.

How many conservatives do you know that hate fellow Ameircans?

As Puerto Ricans are as American as apple pie.
No they ain’t lol

Yes, they are. They're citizens. That makes them Americans.

And we take care of our own.

You know PR is psart of the US>

I guess you you see a person wearing Florida flag you would beat them with a baseball bat?
They can’t vote

They still serve in the military. And, Puerto Rican's have participated in every major US military operation since WWI. How many years have you given to this country? Me? I gave over 20.

Puerto Ricans Represented Throughout U.S. Military History > U.S. DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE > Defense Department News

As citizens of the United States, Puerto Ricans have participated in every major United States military engagement from World War I onward, with the soldiers of Puerto Rico’s 65th Infantry Regiment distinguishing themselves in combat during the Korean War.

While under Spanish rule, Puerto Rico fought alongside the American colonists in the Revolutionary War. Bernardo de Galvez, the governor of Louisiana in 1779, was named general of the Spanish colonial army and led his troop -- consisting primarily of Puerto Ricans and other Hispanics -- to capture the cities of Baton Rouge, Louisiana; Mobile, Alabama; Pensacola, Florida; and St. Louis, Missouri, from the British.

Spain ceded Puerto Rico to the U.S. under the 1898 Treaty of Paris, and Puerto Rico became a U.S. territory. The Army National Guard formed the Porto Rico Regiment on the island, and on March 2, 1917, thanks to the Jones-Shafroth Act, Puerto Ricans were given U.S. citizenship by birth, though they aren’t allowed to vote for the U.S. president and they receive only 70 percent of Social Security pensions.

Laughing.....do you really think that playing dumb and pretending the 'island' part of 'foreign island' is what I'm disputing........is somehow going to add to your claims?

Puerto Rico a US territory. And everyone in it is an American.

Get used to the idea.
I won’t and if republicans take the house again that shit hole will be cut off

Save of course that Puerto Rico isn't foreign. Its US territory.

And its people are US citizens.

Your lies are just getting repetitive and boring now.
It’s foreign to me and I grew up with them

Get rid of Hawaii? Do you realize what that would do to our ability to control the Pacific? Pearl Harbor base (a major Navy base) is in Hawaii.

Laughing.....do you really think that playing dumb and pretending the 'island' part of 'foreign island' is what I'm disputing........is somehow going to add to your claims?

Get used to the idea.

Nope. Republicans had the house until 2018. And the senate. And the white house.

And Puerto Ricans are still US citizens.

Again, you just don't know what you're talking about.

Puerto Ricans are American citizens attacking someone for being a Puerto Rican is pretty ignorant
No they are not.. I didn’t get a vote.. they gotta go

Get used to the idea.

Nope. Republicans had the house until 2018. And the senate. And the white house.

And Puerto Ricans are still US citizens.

Again, you just don't know what you're talking about.
Takes time.. it’s next

No they are not.. I didn’t get a vote.. they gotta go

Nope.

You don't get a direct vote on ANY federal law. That you don't understand how the constitution or representative democracy works doesn't have a thing to do with what the US is, or who is an American.

Yeah, but that's our fault. We should put Puerto Rico up to an ultimatum. You either become a state, or we cut you loose. We really should do that.

But you really can't complain about Puerto Ricans taking our welfare money, because it's not their fault we're stupid enough to pour money all over them. That's our fault for being stupid.

If you wanted to 'cut lose' regions of the US that were getting more welfare than they were adding, you'd lose a LOT of red states.

These are Americans. And we take care of our own.

They are not fully American, until they become part of America.

We take care of our own? The worst thing, the most evil and terrible thing, that you can do... is enable someone to live irresponsibly.

I'm not in favor of cutting them loose simply because they have welfare. I want to cut them loose, or make them a state, because that way we can move forward, instead of being in this quasi-non-state situation stalemate. If Puerto Rico was a full fledged state, they would be improving. Instead they are drowning in debt, and have a backward system.

Has nothing to do with welfare.

Again, as I said before... I don't blame anyone anywhere, for taking welfare. If you yourself, offered me money, I'd take it from you. Why not? If you are stupid enough to give it, why should I not take it?

The solution to welfare... is to stop giving out welfare. Not complain at those who are just taking advantage of your incompetence with money.

We didn't add 'foreign islands to our constitution'. We added territory to the United States. And the US has always been the States and Territories.

You said foreign island.

You know PR is psart of the US>

I guess you you see a person wearing Florida flag you would beat them with a baseball bat?
They can’t vote

They still serve in the military. And, Puerto Rican's have participated in every major US military operation since WWI. How many years have you given to this country? Me? I gave over 20.

Puerto Ricans Represented Throughout U.S. Military History > U.S. DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE > Defense Department News

As citizens of the United States, Puerto Ricans have participated in every major United States military engagement from World War I onward, with the soldiers of Puerto Rico’s 65th Infantry Regiment distinguishing themselves in combat during the Korean War.

While under Spanish rule, Puerto Rico fought alongside the American colonists in the Revolutionary War. Bernardo de Galvez, the governor of Louisiana in 1779, was named general of the Spanish colonial army and led his troop -- consisting primarily of Puerto Ricans and other Hispanics -- to capture the cities of Baton Rouge, Louisiana; Mobile, Alabama; Pensacola, Florida; and St. Louis, Missouri, from the British.

Spain ceded Puerto Rico to the U.S. under the 1898 Treaty of Paris, and Puerto Rico became a U.S. territory. The Army National Guard formed the Porto Rico Regiment on the island, and on March 2, 1917, thanks to the Jones-Shafroth Act, Puerto Ricans were given U.S. citizenship by birth, though they aren’t allowed to vote for the U.S. president and they receive only 70 percent of Social Security pensions.
Thank you for your service I will keep that in mind

Forum List

Back