Many are called, but few are chosen....

this is a GREAT TOPIC! I hope many knowledgeable Christians will participate!
I am getting ready to go grocery shopping. I'll answer later (I hope, if I remember!)

This suggests that there are some that are not called. How can those be condemned if they weren't called? Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Atheists......obviously not called.

The chosen suggests predestination.

What Does It Mean That "Many Are Called, But Few Are Chosen?"

The parable states that anyone was called, but the one rejected had worn the wrong clothes.

Isaiah 61:10 King James Version (KJV)

10 I will greatly rejoice in the Lord, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels.

This is my take on it.

This suggests that there are some that are not called. How can those be condemned if they weren't called? Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Atheists......obviously not called.

The parable states that anyone was called, but the one rejected had worn the wrong clothes.

Isaiah 61:10 King James Version (KJV)

10 I will greatly rejoice in the Lord, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels.

This is my take on it.

I agree. It would be like Gismo knocking on Gods door assuming that he hates gays too only for God to smack him upside his head and fall from the sky like a stone..

In Jesus' parable of the Wedding Feast, it is likely he had two other common parables of the time in mind.

Back in those times, dual invitations were issued. First came the news that there would be a feast so that people could get ready. When all was ready, the second invitation went forth to gather in the people. There was also the common story of a king who provided everyone with royal robes to wear to a feast. People were to take care of the robes and return them in pristine condition after use. However, some people did not take care of their robes, they soiled them and did not clean them. They rent them and did not resew them. Some carelessly discarded them and could not locate them when needed. This Jewish parable was to teach the people that God provided each of us with a soul/spirit that upon our death was to be returned to Him in pristine condition.

Returning to the story Jesus told: The people of the time would be well aware of what happens when the second invitation goes forth: Some, knowing the feast is pending are all prepared, dressed in the King's robes, and are waiting to enjoy the feast. Others are busy. They have business matters to attend to, and when that second invitation sounds, they are not prepared or dressed for the feast. They are too far away to get there in time. Then there is the person, who either lost his robe, or didn't have time to return home and don it, so he just showed up shabbily dressed.

Many are called. But few choose to show up prepared. Those not prepared are passed over.

Forum List

Back