🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Many paths...one God?

All roads lead to GOD
I don't know if that is true. To believe that is to believe that everyone goes to Heaven regardless of they do or what they believe. It sounds like something that Satan would preach. Do whatever you like, it doesn't matter, you'll still go to Heaven. God commands us to obey his word. Satan rebelled against God's word and wants to rebel too.

God giveth, God taketh away.

All that is belongs to God.
Yeah OK.
Most are familiar with righteous anger, the anger that prompts us to take action to right a wrong. For example, once came across a group of boys stoning a dog. What was the appropriate emotion in these circumstances? Happiness? Being filled with great peace? I was filled with wrath, commanded the boys to stop--and that I had better never see them with a stone again. I took the dog with me, he needed a bath so I gave him one, petted him, and then followed him until he found his way safely home.

In the same way, when God sees injustice to the poor and those weaker, should His response be happiness and a feeling of great peace. Should he pat those who are treating other unjustly on the head or should He warn that such behavior leads to being overthrown? In Biblical times, the prophets warned people of their bad behavior, and destruction would come if no change was made. Destruction usually came in the form of being overthrown and captured by another nation.

Is it "contradictions" that are a problem, or is it misunderstanding the difference between righteous anger/wrath toward deliberate and uncaring wrong doing towards others and the murderous anger/wrath because one feels someone has personally wronged him/her?
righteous anger and wrath are 2 different things.

Wrath is one of the 7 deadly sins so you would thing a loving god would not indulge in wrath.

Yeah OK.

Wrath is one of the 7 deadly sins so you would thing a loving god would not indulge in wrath.
What has God done to you that would make you think God isn't loving?

You are thinking in Modern English, a subjective language with over 170,000 words. Compare this to Hebrew, with only 33,000 words and a language of pictures. A straight translation of 'wrath' from the Hebrew to English would be 'flaring nostrils'. If you were to read the straight translation of "God's nostrils flared" would you consider that a deadly sin? Meanwhile, in English there are over thirty synonyms for 'wrath'. 'Wrath by the way' came into use as 'wroth' in about the fourth century. Meanwhile, the Hebrew of 'Nostrils flared' was used thousands of years prior.

When did God's nostrils flare? When injustice was occurring.

He is agnostic. If God had done anything to him, it follows that he would believe God is.

Perhaps the better question is, How does reading reading the Bible in modern English from a Western culture perspective, warp the meaning of what was actually presented by the original authors?

He is agnostic. If God had done anything to him, it follows that he would believe God is.

Perhaps the better question is, How does reading reading the Bible in modern English from a Western culture perspective, warp the meaning of what was actually presented by the original authors?
My point is that the Bible is not the only way or even the best way to know God.

I'm using the bible, you know the very word of the Christian god, as a source not my own experiences.

And If there is a god, and I'm not convinced there is, then at best he doesn't really give a shit about us.

Well since the Roman Catholic Church was around when the bible was translated and put its stamp of approval on those translations I can assume that the church believes the translation to be accurate.

If it's not accurately translated then why use it as a religious text at all?

I'm using the bible, you know the very word of the Christian god, as a source not my own experiences.

And If there is a god, and I'm not convinced there is, then at best he doesn't really give a shit about us.
Not sure why you would use something you don't believe for anything other than criticizing it.

I'd say he cares a lot more about you than you do him.

Not sure why you would use something you don't believe for anything other than criticizing it.

I'd say he cares a lot more about you than you do him.
That's just a bedtime story for little kids.

And I neither believe nor disbelieve.

Like I said there is one and only one thing that is needed for me to acknowledge any gods exist and as of yet I haven't seen it.

And even if that proof was given I still wouldn't worship or change the way I live at all.

That's just a bedtime story for little kids.

And I neither believe nor disbelieve.

Like I said there is one and only one thing that is needed for me to acknowledge any gods exist and as of yet I haven't seen it.

And even if that proof was given I still wouldn't worship or change the way I live at all.
And yet you can't stop talking about it.

And yet you can't stop talking about it.
Religion interests me because it has little or nothing to do with gods and everything to do with the human need to believe there is a god.

WE've covered this before

Religion interests me because it has little or nothing to do with gods and everything to do with the human need to believe there is a god.

WE've covered this before
Yes, you demonstrate your irrational obsession with CHRISTIANITY daily.

Yes, you demonstrate your irrational obsession with CHRISTIANITY daily.
I'll talk about any religion you want. It just so happens that most people in this country are Christian so the conversation tends to gravitate to that religion. Is that really too tough for you to figure out?

Well since the Roman Catholic Church was around when the bible was translated and put its stamp of approval on those translations I can assume that the church believes the translation to be accurate.
The Hebrew the words traveled through Greek and Latin before it ever reached the English 'wrath', which in early times meant strong anger or indignation. English words and their meanings change over time. At one time 'wrath' was often used in a humorous way, as an exaggeration. But that is linguistics.

It seems to me in this discussion you pounce on God for being wrathful, but do not seem to care an iota about how or on what God's wrath was based. Skipping past that seems odd.

The Hebrew the words traveled through Greek and Latin before it ever reached the English 'wrath', which in early times meant strong anger or indignation. English words and their meanings change over time. At one time 'wrath' was often used in a humorous way, as an exaggeration. But that is linguistics.

It seems to me in this discussion you pounce on God for being wrathful, but do not seem to care an iota about how or on what God's wrath was based. Skipping past that seems odd.
Not pouncing just mentioning the contradiction I see in the idea of an all loving god and the teachings of the bible.

Religion is meaningless if the very words of the book used as the word of the god of that religion is up for subjective interpretation.

So tell me what would the correct word for wrath as it is meant in the 7 deadly sins?

Are you telling me that indignation is the actual deadly sin?

I'll talk about any religion you want. It just so happens that most people in this country are Christian so the conversation tends to gravitate to that religion. Is that really too tough for you to figure out?
In the same critical manner?

Religion fascinates me, in part because there are so many common threads in all the faiths. Perhaps we are like the tale of the blind man and tbe elephant, each of us only able to discern a small portion of what is God. For some, we need an intermediary... like a prophet to show us a path. For others, it is a self-paced journey.

For commonalities...we all know the Golden Rule, and all religions seem to have some version of this. It makes sense, if we followed it, we would be a better society.

But another commonality exists that is interesting: the acquisition of forbidden knowledge.

In some, this is represented by the acquisition of fire (which in actuality was a major turning point in human development. The Greek Promethius defied Zeus and stole fire to give to man. Across the world, a continent away, Coyote, Rabbit and Crow stoke the fire.

For the Abrahamic faiths, it was Eve and the Apple...which you have to admit kind of sucks, forever blaming Woman for Man’s inability to control himself.

In all cases though...there is a punishment for loss of innocence and it usually involves a seperation from the divine even as it separates humanity from his fellow animals.

Food for thought.
Marx was right. Karl, not Groucho,
Religion is, in fact, the "opiate of the masses."

The sole purpose of religion from a sociological point of view is to keep the "poor and huddled masses" from rioting by promising it will all be better in the next life.

This isn't a critique of the "Golden Rule" but of the methods used by religion to control its followers and ensure those who "deserve" power stay in power.

Does anyone need "religion" to know that hurting people is wrong, stealing is wrong, murder, rape, are wrong?

OH, actually, many religions blame women for the unleashing of evil upon the world, Eve, Pandora, Angrboda, these gave religions permission to control women and thus keep their evil at bay.

Forum List

Back