Marco Rubio: I'd attend a gay wedding

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
Marco Rubio I d attend a gay wedding - Nick Gass - POLITICO

(Video at the link)

His reasoning:

...“If there’s somebody that I love that’s in my life, I don’t necessarily have to agree with their decisions or the decisions they’ve made to continue to love them and participate in important events,” he told Ramos.

The senator said he would not hurt that person simply because he disagrees with what they have decided to do.

“Ultimately, if someone that you care for and is part of your family has decided to move in one direction or another or feels that way because of who they love, you respect that because you love them,” he said.

Rubio, who is Catholic, added that it is akin to attending “second marriages” after divorce, which are not exactly encouraged in the Catholic Church.

“If someone gets divorced, I’m not going to stop loving them or having them a part of our lives,” he said....

Discuss. Will this hurt or help him in the GOP primaries?

• Banned
Wow he might as well drop out now.

:rofl:

Now, being serious, I think his explanation is pretty good.

It's the timing of it that makes me scratch my head. The guy just announced on Monday, the media has been all over Hillary (oh, eye contact, hydration, looking in the eyes, oh my) and practically ignored him and then the first thing that comes out is that he would go to a gay wedding. Seems to be non-fortuitous for the young whippersnapper from the Alligator state...

Doesn't bother me none. That's a personal matter. Whether it will help or hurt in the election, I don't know. I doubt it.

• Banned
It will have no effect on what votes he gets or doesn't get.
Possibly. He wasn't going to get very many votes anyways.

I am going to be more sanguine about it and say that I will simply wait and see how the GOP voters vote, cuz it's their thing.

Rubio is young, dynamic, good-looking, has a beautiful family and he won a Senate seat going up against someone with almost universal name recognition in the Orange Juice state. I suspect that Rubio himself knows that his campaign is a longshot, but then again, Bill Clinton's campaign was a longshot even through the NH primary in 1992, when Tsongas was still considered the top dog and no one really thought that a Democrat had a chance against Bush, Sr. in the GE.

But the fact that the GOP has not one, but rather, two Latino candidates for President is indeed something cool for the history books.

Of the three Republicans who have declared thus far, Rand Paul has the largest organization (he is already in all 50 states), but Cruz is raking in the $$$ fast.

If Bush and Walker wait too long, they might find the money tree already pretty dried-up....

Last edited:

(Video at the link)

His reasoning:

...“If there’s somebody that I love that’s in my life, I don’t necessarily have to agree with their decisions or the decisions they’ve made to continue to love them and participate in important events,” he told Ramos.

The senator said he would not hurt that person simply because he disagrees with what they have decided to do.

“Ultimately, if someone that you care for and is part of your family has decided to move in one direction or another or feels that way because of who they love, you respect that because you love them,” he said.

Rubio, who is Catholic, added that it is akin to attending “second marriages” after divorce, which are not exactly encouraged in the Catholic Church.

“If someone gets divorced, I’m not going to stop loving them or having them a part of our lives,” he said....

His problem is he supports states denying gay Americans access to marriage in violation of the 14th Amendment.

Doesn't bother me none. That's a personal matter. Whether it will help or hurt in the election, I don't know. I doubt it.

Is it a personal matter for all Conservatives, or has all this screaming about evil gays just been smoke and mirrors?

Some of us only scream over government forcing on the issue, not the issue itself.

Yes, social conservatives see homosexuality as sinful, but strict constructional federalists such as myself are more concerned over the sins of progressives when it comes to the constitution, and not any perceived sins of homosexuality itself.

(Video at the link)

His reasoning:

It's a non-issue. Won't hurt or help.

(Video at the link)

His reasoning:

His problem is he supports states denying gay Americans access to marriage in violation of the 14th Amendment.

In your opinion.

Rubio's inexperience is showing here, he's going to self destruct.
He is softening up conservative homosexuals, also it is a preemptive strike when news come out about one of his "loved" ones being homosexual and got "married"
Yes, social conservatives see homosexuality as sinful, but strict constructional federalists such as myself are more concerned over the sins of progressives when it comes to the constitution, and not any perceived sins of homosexuality itself.
Personally I do not think homosexuality is sin or sinful but I strongly oppose them when they want to change the definition of marriage what has been understood throughout many millennia and the militant "in your face attitude."

Is it a personal matter for all Conservatives, or has all this screaming about evil gays just been smoke and mirrors?

Some of us only scream over government forcing on the issue, not the issue itself.

Ok, I can accept that and also appreciate you wording it the way you word it, for that shows some good discernment on your part. Bravo.

Only, not every voter is going to discern as well as you did.

I personally have not problem with Rubio's stance and especially, no problem with his explanation, which made complete sense to me. He too is discerning between a stance for or against an institution and a personal encounter at an event somewhere where he would be invited.

I cannot fault his words or his intentions at all, but I can imagine a number of deep-red conservatives who, as I just indicated about your well-written response, are not going to discern as well. They will see a headline and simply grumble dissatisfaction.

Forum List

Back