Margaret thatcher died

Coal, however, is not a problem for anybody but environmental religionists who believe all fossil fuels to be evil. To promote development of cleaner ways to use coal while working on making other forms of energy more viable would be a worthy goal. To shut down our most plentiful and cheapest form of energy to chase a hypothetical future that is yet unproven and not viable is not justifiable.

That is not what Thatcher did. She cut out a malignancy in the U.K. that was threatening to bring the entire nation down. That would have hurt everybody, including the coal miners. All she did was sell off the mines that her predecessors had imprudently and destructively nationalized to create the unsustainable situation that existed. Had the unions been willing to work out a compromise to have made that unnecessary, I have every reason to believe Thatcher would have chosen that better situation. It was the unions who refused to compromise that created the draconian soluton that was all that was left to her.

I don't know that I would call environmentalists in favor of shutting down fossil fuels religionists. Some countries have really worked to cut out fossil fuel power stations. That's not extremist, just not everyone is going to agree with it.

I would have been more impressed by a Leader that could have taken on the Unions without shutting down all the mines. She picked the lesser of two evils. But there were other options.

Who was doing the protesting? It was the mine workers at the behest of the unions. The mine workers should have tossed the union out on its ass.

From what I've heard from relatives, some backed the Union Leaders and some didn't. And it was hard to tell who was who. Speaking out was risking your family. Maybe you're willing to risk your family for the sake of being right, but others will protect their families first.

I have a feeling that most of the people in this thread, especially those who are singing her praises, have little to no idea about British politics or Thatcher's term as Prime Minister. They know she was a conservative and she liked Ronald Reagan, that's probably about all.

Is this you?

article-2307040-1938DAC7000005DC-713_634x434.jpg

Coal, however, is not a problem for anybody but environmental religionists who believe all fossil fuels to be evil. To promote development of cleaner ways to use coal while working on making other forms of energy more viable would be a worthy goal. To shut down our most plentiful and cheapest form of energy to chase a hypothetical future that is yet unproven and not viable is not justifiable.

That is not what Thatcher did. She cut out a malignancy in the U.K. that was threatening to bring the entire nation down. That would have hurt everybody, including the coal miners. All she did was sell off the mines that her predecessors had imprudently and destructively nationalized to create the unsustainable situation that existed. Had the unions been willing to work out a compromise to have made that unnecessary, I have every reason to believe Thatcher would have chosen that better situation. It was the unions who refused to compromise that created the draconian soluton that was all that was left to her.

I don't know that I would call environmentalists in favor of shutting down fossil fuels religionists. Some countries have really worked to cut out fossil fuel power stations. That's not extremist, just not everyone is going to agree with it.

I would have been more impressed by a Leader that could have taken on the Unions without shutting down all the mines. She picked the lesser of two evils. But there were other options.

Whether the mines should have been closed when they were or this be done in a more careful and slower manner is of course a reasonable subject for debate. Had the unions been willing to mechanize and consolidate to make them more profitable, as Thatcher requested, she probably would have chosen that route. But the unions were not willing to mechanize and the mines were wholly unprofitable and were a tremendous drag on the U.K.'s economy.

It all goes back to the conundrum that the government should keep things going no matter how much they cost because to fix the problem will hurt some. But for the government to continue to sustain the unprofitable draws critical money out of the economy that would create jobs for and/or improve the lives of countless others.

So your initial post was right. Thatcher absolutely did choose to hurt some people in order to put the U.K. economy back on solid footing and her policies did do that. And in the process she helped many others who had been hurting. But had the unions been willing to work with her at all, the outcome might have been less painful for some. We will never know now.

The glory day of British mining were clearly over at the end of National Union of Mineworkers' (NUM) year-long strike in March 1985.
Not only did the NUM's power-struggle with then prime minister Margaret Thatcher show that miners lacked the massed industrial muscle of the past.

Ironically, it also revealed coal mining was no longer vital to the UK economy.

Since then, Britain's biggest mining firm has struggled to reinvent itself to cope with more competitive global coal markets.
BBC NEWS | Business | Q&A: What happened to coal mining?

You say that it is okay to shut down the fossil fuels in favor of other energy--do you know how many people that would hurt here? Yet our government subsidizes the coal industry not at all and instead receives a good deal of revenues from our private coal mining industries. Why screw up that in favor of something that has not yet proved to be viable as an substitute source of energy? Thatcher closed down coal mnes that were bleeding her country dry. Obama wants to shut down profitable coal mines and instead subsidize unproven energy sources that currently are bleeding our country dry. I think I prefer Thatcher's logic there.

Last edited:

Whether the mines should have been closed when they were or this be done in a more careful and slower manner is of course a reasonable subject for debate. Had the unions been willing to mechanize and consolidate to make them more profitable, as Thatcher requested, she probably would have chosen that route. But the unions were not willing to mechanize and the mines were wholly unprofitable and were a tremendous drag on the U.K.'s economy.

It all goes back to the conundrum that the government should keep things going no matter how much they cost because to fix the problem will hurt some. But for the government to continue to sustain the unprofitable draws critical money out of the economy that would create jobs for and/or improve the lives of countless others.

So your initial post was right. Thatcher absolutely did choose to hurt some people in order to put the U.K. economy back on solid footing and her policies did do that. And in the process she helped many others who had been hurting. But had the unions been willing to work with her at all, the outcome might have been less painful for some. We will never know now.

The glory day of British mining were clearly over at the end of National Union of Mineworkers' (NUM) year-long strike in March 1985.
Not only did the NUM's power-struggle with then prime minister Margaret Thatcher show that miners lacked the massed industrial muscle of the past.

Since then, Britain's biggest mining firm has struggled to reinvent itself to cope with more competitive global coal markets.

You say that it is okay to shut down the fossil fuels in favor of other energy--do you know how many people that would hurt here? Yet our government subsidizes the coal industry not at all and instead receives a good deal of revenues from our private coal mining industries. Why screw up that in favor of something that has not yet proved to be viable as an substitute source of energy? Thatcher closed down coal mnes that were bleeding her country dry. Obama wants to shut down profitable coal mines and instead subsidize unproven energy sources that currently are bleeding our country dry. I think I prefer Thatcher's logic there.

Hmmm... hard to explain this then. Just sayin'...

(more here)

Love ya Foxy.

Hmmm... hard to explain this then. Just sayin'...

(more here)

Love ya Foxy.

Okay good point. I should have said that the U.S. government does not own any part of our coal companies, and though it heavily regulates them, it is NOT subsidizing their day to day operations, wages, etc. There is roughly a $3 billion federal subsidy that goes in part for R & D in clean coal use. If the federal government withheld that subsidy, it would not throw the coal industry into shock or cause it undue pain. I'm pretty sure the coal companies are paying a whole lot more than that to comply with the increasing federal regulations imposed on them.

It's sort of like the federal oil subsides. All of us say that the federal government should not be subsidizing big oil. But if you ask most leftists and even some on the right if they are okay with oil companies taking tax deductions that ALL corporations can take, they will not have as much problem with that. And they are likely to favor fuel tax exemptions for farmers, the Low Income Energy Assistance Program, the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, R & D into green energy, or incentives to keep plants, production, and products in the USA. That is what most of the oil company subsidies go for.

Some of these is what a lot of the coal company subsidies go for.

I'm okay with eliminating all of them, other than the strategic petroleum reserve, at the federal level and bumping them down to the states to manage. Are you? I wonder what Maggie Thatcher would say about that? I don't know. I do know that our situation is very different from what it was in the U.K. at that time.

Last edited:
The unions stopped being hard working people who didn't deserve to lose their jobs when they started doing their jobs three days a week and protesting for more benefits the other four.

Excuse me? Members who didn't want to strike, who wanted to work were bullied. You do realize not everything was even voted on? Of course, if you want to take on men that will break your legs and threaten your family for showing up at work, be my guest.

No thank you. I want no part of that. And no nation that believes in individual liberty should tolerate that. And if I was Prime Minister and had the power to do so, I would shut down any union employing such tactics in a heartbeat. And if the business will be bankrupt if taxpayers don't give of their hard earned money to keep the business open, then it should be closed.

Maggie did the unthinkable because the crazy unions forced her hand.
Someone had to clear up the mess.

Pathetic...

Senate Dems Blocking Resolution To Honor Margaret Thatcher

Senate Democrats are hesitating to honor the former prime minister of Great Britain who, along with President Reagan and Pope John Paul II, tackled communism.

This is particularly galling in light of the fact that 16 Republicans crossed the aisle to vote for cloture on the Democrats' gun control bill, today.

A Senate resolution to honor Lady Thatcher was supposed to pass last night. However, per well placed sources on the Hill, Democrats have a hold on the resolution.

Senate Dems Blocking Resolution To Honor Margaret Thatcher

Meanwhile, "The Witch is Dead" is topping the charts in the UK right now.
Does it surprise you that Britain has a lot of low lifers, just like Chicago? They certainly have shit holes and lazy asses (they call them chavs) there too.

No, it doesn't surprise me that when you have a 'leader' that puts corporate greed above people, the people who are actually affected hate them.

It should be pointed out that Margaret Thatcher and Tony Blair, who were beloved in America, were run out on a rail by their own parties because their policies were so unpopular at home.

Meanwhile, "The Witch is Dead" is topping the charts in the UK right now.
Does it surprise you that Britain has a lot of low lifers, just like Chicago? They certainly have shit holes and lazy asses (they call them chavs) there too.

No, it doesn't surprise me that when you have a 'leader' that puts corporate greed above people, the people who are actually affected hate them.

It should be pointed out that Margaret Thatcher and Tony Blair, who were beloved in America, were run out on a rail by their own parties because their policies were so unpopular at home.

Would you care to mention the greedy unions and what they got up to?

Scargill, wig wearing commie idiot, has just lost his battle with his own union to keep his free house in London.
He, during the strike, hid his luxury Jaguar car but still lived in his massive house whist many of my mates, ordinary miners had to ration cornflakes and milk for their families.
So many wanted to return to work but Scargill's bastards would go round to houses with pick axe handles when they got wind someone was working or wanted to return.

No one mentions, there was no strike vote and the strike was enforced by vicious gangs.

I was there and I saw this with my own eyes.
I don't need to google or guess because I would get my mate's wife to cut my hair but gave them 10 quid instead of the quid she asked for.

When he tried to return, a gang went round to 'ask' him not to.
Again, I was there when they turned up so I can say for sure.

Vicious union creeps don't like witnesses because they risk being exposed for what they really are.

Maggie saved Britain from the idiot commie unions that would have totally destroyed the country.
Maggie's body may be dead but she lives on in my heart.

You really think the UK is better off for THatcher, most Brits don't think so.

Absolutely - yes.

Another labour government would have totally destroyed the UK.
The unions would have been in effective control of everything.
Workers' commitees would have had effective control over industry.
Benn wanted to dismantle the armed forces, starting with the nuclear subs but stripping everything to the bone.
Britain had already been borrowing from the IMF but labour wanted to spend even more in a pointless attempt to borrow and spend their way out of debt.
NATO membership would have gone as would the EEC when we defaulted on IMF loans.

In a nutshell - a ruddy mess.

You really think the UK is better off for THatcher, most Brits don't think so.

Absolutely - yes.

Another labour government would have totally destroyed the UK.
The unions would have been in effective control of everything.
Workers' commitees would have had effective control over industry.
Benn wanted to dismantle the armed forces, starting with the nuclear subs but stripping everything to the bone.
Britain had already been borrowing from the IMF but labour wanted to spend even more in a pointless attempt to borrow and spend their way out of debt.
NATO membership would have gone as would the EEC when we defaulted on IMF loans.

In a nutshell - a ruddy mess.

Workers actually having a say in the jobs they work in?

THE HORROR OF IT ALL!

Somehow, I don't think that maintaining the ability to beat up on Argentina makes the UK Great.

Forum List

Back