Marijuana abuse doubles in last 11 years

Several things here................first, some are saying that the effect on young people would be horrendous if they were able to get marijuana because it affects the nervous system. That is true, because the brain and the nervous system aren't fully developed until a person reaches 18 to 20 years old. But, at the same time, alcohol is far more damaging and far easier to get. Face it, kids are going to figure out a way to get some things they shouldn't. The education shouldn't be about how bad something is for them and using scare tactics, but rather tell them their bodies and brains won't be fully developed until they are 18, and they should plan accordingly if they want to be a healthy person.

Second, there is no evidence at all for a physical addiction to cannabis. It does not affect the body in that manner, and there are no withdrawl problems if you suddenly quit. There are with alcohol, because if a heavy drinker suddenly stops drinking, the body having been used to the constant barrage of alcohol has become physically dependent upon it. That's why when alcoholics are put in detox, they are watched very closely for the DT's and tremors, some of which can lead to death.

Third, there has been a LOT of research done over the past 15 or so years, ever since they started to look into the medical aspect of it. Guess what? Instead of destroying brain cells, cannabis can be used to help people with Alzheimers as well as those who suffer from seizures. Both of which are brain diseases, and both of which have been helped by the THC and CBD in cannabis. If doctors are using it to help with brain diseases, how is that "destroying brain cells"? That particular line is used for anything that someone doesn't like. Shoot, I believe that watching reality television can destroy brain cells.

For the people who have had a bad reaction and became paranoid or nervous? Maybe it wasn't the cannabis itself, maybe it was the variety that was smoked. Ever since CO legalized it, I've been going up there to do research for myself. If you smoke a Sativa, you will get a brain buzz and body high, which for some, can be unpleasant, my room mate is one of those. However, she really likes Indica, which promotes a relaxed, pain relief state where you can get really still and go to sleep. And then, there are the hybrids, which are a combination of the Sativa and the Indica strains that were bred together, and depending on the hybrid will depend on how it affects you. By the way, those problems (as well as overdosing on edibles) can be avoided by having a conversation with the bud tenders in the cannabis stores. Many of them are very knowledgeable and will tell you exactly what the dosage is, as well as what the effects will be when used.

Most of the people who are against cannabis legalization are those who have never used it, because they wouldn't spew as much b.s. as they do. In the cases where you know a friend who had a bad reaction? Got a question, was cannabis the only thing they were using or was alcohol involved? If alcohol use was present, I can assure you that the sugar and the alcohol in the drink will reduce the effect that the cannabis has, because THC is counteracted by sugar, which is why people get the "munchies" after they smoke, their body is craving sugar. And, incidentally, I can tell you from first hand experience that you can get fairly high, eat a high sugar content food (such as cake or candy), and about 30 to 45 min after eating, you will come down and be back to normal.

And I have yet to hear of a legitimate example of someone dying from smoking too much, you will go to sleep before that happens. I HAVE seen many news articles however where people have died on their 21st birthday from alcohol poisoning.

Lastly, as far as the cancer causing effects? The Royal British Medical Society did a study on this a few years back. Know what they found? If you smoke cigarettes only, you are 21 times more likely to get lung cancer than someone who doesn't smoke at all. If you smoke cannabis only? Your chances are only 0.93 to 0.73 percent more than someone who doesn't smoke at all. Your studies that someone can "pepper spray" someone with cannabis isn't true. It won't cause cancer. Neither will "shotgunning", which is where you fill your lungs with smoke, get lip to lip with someone else and blow the smoke into their lungs. BTW, in order to get shotgunned, you have to be a willing participant.
Bad things make other bad things like pot OK for substance addicts.
Lots of pot addicts on this site in need of an intervention.

In comparison to what? The tobacco addicts and the alcoholics?

Better off getting stoned than drunk that's for gd sure.
Only if you're ignorant if the risks of pot, which most pot advocates are.
Time to get beyond the 1960's.

Have you ever used marijuana?

I am really done with listening to self righteous idiots villifying marijuana while finishing their fourth glass of wine. If you have never tried it , as I suspect, you really shouldn't express an opinion as if you have a clue.
Yes, I learned about the devastating effects of pot over forty years ago. I'm tired of moronic regressives who are ignorant and foist their regressive stuck-in-the-60's agenda onto others.

You so obviously learned nothing. You have no clue.
And you obviously welcome cyanide in your tylenol.

?

As we have observed for many years now, once you start down the road of Alcohol legalization, you'll be seeing an increase of use.
Here in the United States we've had legal Alcohol for many years, and now add to that it is legal to brew your own for recreational use, and you smell the drunks everywhere.
Kids will be getting the message that it's now okay, especially when you have adult morons with the continual "Alcohol isn't as bad as other drugs because it is legal" drumbeat.

ALCOHOL USE HAS BEEN MORE HARMFUL, DEADLY, AND ADDICTIVE THAN MARIJUANA IN THE LAST 11,000 YEARS
Pot is a dangerous drug for some people. Pointing to the risks associated with other substances does nothing to alleviate the potential danger in pot. Can't tell that to potheads. They just keep rationalizing their addiction like all other addicts do.
just like you keep rationalizing your bullshit,as you keep doing in every thread about pot.....
Because you can't refute or even rebut facts, as demonstrated by your resulting insults, doesn't make my analysis inaccurate. You can't challenge the truth. That would be your problem.
roshawn dont forget,i have been in many a pot thread with you....many of your "facts" have already been refuted and rebutted more than once....and that would be your problem...
Pot is a dangerous drug for some people.
the people i smoked pot with through the years,if they had a bad reaction to it or did not like the high.....did not keep on smoking it,if they did and had problems thats on them....some people know when to quit...

Several things here................first, some are saying that the effect on young people would be horrendous if they were able to get marijuana because it affects the nervous system. That is true, because the brain and the nervous system aren't fully developed until a person reaches 18 to 20 years old. But, at the same time, alcohol is far more damaging and far easier to get. Face it, kids are going to figure out a way to get some things they shouldn't. The education shouldn't be about how bad something is for them and using scare tactics, but rather tell them their bodies and brains won't be fully developed until they are 18, and they should plan accordingly if they want to be a healthy person.

Second, there is no evidence at all for a physical addiction to cannabis. It does not affect the body in that manner, and there are no withdrawl problems if you suddenly quit. There are with alcohol, because if a heavy drinker suddenly stops drinking, the body having been used to the constant barrage of alcohol has become physically dependent upon it. That's why when alcoholics are put in detox, they are watched very closely for the DT's and tremors, some of which can lead to death.

Third, there has been a LOT of research done over the past 15 or so years, ever since they started to look into the medical aspect of it. Guess what? Instead of destroying brain cells, cannabis can be used to help people with Alzheimers as well as those who suffer from seizures. Both of which are brain diseases, and both of which have been helped by the THC and CBD in cannabis. If doctors are using it to help with brain diseases, how is that "destroying brain cells"? That particular line is used for anything that someone doesn't like. Shoot, I believe that watching reality television can destroy brain cells.

For the people who have had a bad reaction and became paranoid or nervous? Maybe it wasn't the cannabis itself, maybe it was the variety that was smoked. Ever since CO legalized it, I've been going up there to do research for myself. If you smoke a Sativa, you will get a brain buzz and body high, which for some, can be unpleasant, my room mate is one of those. However, she really likes Indica, which promotes a relaxed, pain relief state where you can get really still and go to sleep. And then, there are the hybrids, which are a combination of the Sativa and the Indica strains that were bred together, and depending on the hybrid will depend on how it affects you. By the way, those problems (as well as overdosing on edibles) can be avoided by having a conversation with the bud tenders in the cannabis stores. Many of them are very knowledgeable and will tell you exactly what the dosage is, as well as what the effects will be when used.

Most of the people who are against cannabis legalization are those who have never used it, because they wouldn't spew as much b.s. as they do. In the cases where you know a friend who had a bad reaction? Got a question, was cannabis the only thing they were using or was alcohol involved? If alcohol use was present, I can assure you that the sugar and the alcohol in the drink will reduce the effect that the cannabis has, because THC is counteracted by sugar, which is why people get the "munchies" after they smoke, their body is craving sugar. And, incidentally, I can tell you from first hand experience that you can get fairly high, eat a high sugar content food (such as cake or candy), and about 30 to 45 min after eating, you will come down and be back to normal.

And I have yet to hear of a legitimate example of someone dying from smoking too much, you will go to sleep before that happens. I HAVE seen many news articles however where people have died on their 21st birthday from alcohol poisoning.

Lastly, as far as the cancer causing effects? The Royal British Medical Society did a study on this a few years back. Know what they found? If you smoke cigarettes only, you are 21 times more likely to get lung cancer than someone who doesn't smoke at all. If you smoke cannabis only? Your chances are only 0.93 to 0.73 percent more than someone who doesn't smoke at all. Your studies that someone can "pepper spray" someone with cannabis isn't true. It won't cause cancer. Neither will "shotgunning", which is where you fill your lungs with smoke, get lip to lip with someone else and blow the smoke into their lungs. BTW, in order to get shotgunned, you have to be a willing participant.
Bad things make other bad things like pot OK for substance addicts.
Lots of pot addicts on this site in need of an intervention.

In comparison to what? The tobacco addicts and the alcoholics?

Prescription opiates and heroin?

The legal substances are all killers but pot is the problem? So obvious this dude has never even seen pot let alone used it.

What about freedom? Is some high and mighty so called conservative hypocrite freedom loving person going to tell me what I can and can't do with my body? Those people are too much.

As I've been saying for years now, once you start down the road of legalization, you'll be seeing an increase of use.
Here in Oregon we've had "medical" marijuana for several years, and now add to that the legalization of recreational use, and you smell the addicts everywhere.
Kids will be getting the message that it's now okay, especially when you have adult morons with the continual "it's-not-as-bad-as-alcohol" drumbeat.

Marijuana Use and Disorders Have Doubled Since 2001

There were especially large increases among women, blacks, Hispanics, southerners and middle-aged and older people.(Photo: Getty Images)

As attitudes and laws in the U.S. have become more tolerant of marijuana, the proportion of adults using and abusing the substance at least doubled between 2001 and 2013, according to a new study.

Although marijuana dependence and abuse was found to be on the rise, that is largely due to the overall increase in new users, researchers note, while existing marijuana users experienced a 15 percent decline in pot-related disorders.

About 4 percent of adults between 2001 and 2002 reported having used marijuana in the past year, compared to about 10 percent between 2012 and 2013. Similarly, 1.5 percent had abuse or dependence problems - so-called marijuana use disorder - at the start of the 21st Century, compared to about 3 percent from 2012 to 2013.

“What was quite clear is the prevalence of use among adults had more than doubled,” said Deborah Hasin, the study’s lead author from Columbia University in New York.

Twenty-three U.S. states allow for medical marijuana use, and four also allow recreational use, the researchers write in JAMA Psychiatry. More Americans also favor marijuana legalization than before, and fewer see the substance as risky.

Yet, the researchers write, little was known about how the prevalence of marijuana use and disorders changed during the first decade of the century.
For the new study, they compared data from face-to-face interviews with over 43,000 U.S. adults between 2001 and 2002 to data from over 36,000 people collected between 2012 and 2013.

They found that reports of having used marijuana in the past year more than doubled between the two time periods with especially large increases among women, blacks, Hispanics, southerners and middle-aged and older people.
The data also included information on whether participants were experiencing abuse or dependence.

did y'all miss it? the current "shell game" with Statism is that it is a friendly and beneficial drug that may even be recommended by Persons who have acquired and possessed a doctorate.

As I've been saying for years now, once you start down the road of legalization, you'll be seeing an increase of use.
Here in Oregon we've had "medical" marijuana for several years, and now add to that the legalization of recreational use, and you smell the addicts everywhere.
Kids will be getting the message that it's now okay, especially when you have adult morons with the continual "it's-not-as-bad-as-alcohol" drumbeat.

There were especially large increases among women, blacks, Hispanics, southerners and middle-aged and older people.(Photo: Getty Images)

As attitudes and laws in the U.S. have become more tolerant of marijuana, the proportion of adults using and abusing the substance at least doubled between 2001 and 2013, according to a new study.

Although marijuana dependence and abuse was found to be on the rise, that is largely due to the overall increase in new users, researchers note, while existing marijuana users experienced a 15 percent decline in pot-related disorders.

About 4 percent of adults between 2001 and 2002 reported having used marijuana in the past year, compared to about 10 percent between 2012 and 2013. Similarly, 1.5 percent had abuse or dependence problems - so-called marijuana use disorder - at the start of the 21st Century, compared to about 3 percent from 2012 to 2013.

“What was quite clear is the prevalence of use among adults had more than doubled,” said Deborah Hasin, the study’s lead author from Columbia University in New York.

Twenty-three U.S. states allow for medical marijuana use, and four also allow recreational use, the researchers write in JAMA Psychiatry. More Americans also favor marijuana legalization than before, and fewer see the substance as risky.

Yet, the researchers write, little was known about how the prevalence of marijuana use and disorders changed during the first decade of the century.
For the new study, they compared data from face-to-face interviews with over 43,000 U.S. adults between 2001 and 2002 to data from over 36,000 people collected between 2012 and 2013.

They found that reports of having used marijuana in the past year more than doubled between the two time periods with especially large increases among women, blacks, Hispanics, southerners and middle-aged and older people.
The data also included information on whether participants were experiencing abuse or dependence.

What do you believe ARE the risks of pot?
Anxiety disorder and depression. Both of which are crippling and can be life sentences.
people with those problems should not be doing any drugs let alone pot.....

Interesting that the OP's article would single out Blacks and Hispanics, especially when you consider the whole reason that Anslinger pushed so hard to make it illegal.

He hated black and brown people, and those were the main consumers of cannabis, so, by making it illegal, he had license to lock them up legally. Also explains the draconian sentencing that they imposed back then.

Marijuana and 'abuse' are like oil and water. Its like abusing chocolate cake. You may be having too much but ohhhh its sooo good.
some people get to much sex,is that abusing sex?....whether it is or not......its soooo good....

What the hell is marijuana abuse? lol
getting high every day and beating off and then getting high again.....and instead of beating off,you grab a bite to eat and watch TV with the sound off and some good rock on the Radio....Pot Abuse....
What is the difference from alcoholism? There are folks who genuinely have problems with any intoxicant. But when the majority of users of both pot and booze do so responsibly and enjoy themselves using rather than using to just get by, would you deny one user and not the other?

Last edited:

What do you believe ARE the risks of pot?
Anxiety disorder and depression. Both of which are crippling and can be life sentences.
people with those problems should not be doing any drugs let alone pot.....
depends; some strains can have the effect of some drugs.

Interesting that the OP's article would single out Blacks and Hispanics, especially when you consider the whole reason that Anslinger pushed so hard to make it illegal.

He hated black and brown people, and those were the main consumers of cannabis, so, by making it illegal, he had license to lock them up legally. Also explains the draconian sentencing that they imposed back then.
Quite right. And I have no doubt the racial element has much to do with the irrationally continued prohibition of this relatively benign and natural recreational plant.

As we have observed for many years now, once you start down the road of Alcohol legalization, you'll be seeing an increase of use.
Here in the United States we've had legal Alcohol for many years, and now add to that it is legal to brew your own for recreational use, and you smell the drunks everywhere.
Kids will be getting the message that it's now okay, especially when you have adult morons with the continual "Alcohol isn't as bad as other drugs because it is legal" drumbeat.

ALCOHOL USE HAS BEEN MORE HARMFUL, DEADLY, AND ADDICTIVE THAN MARIJUANA IN THE LAST 11,000 YEARS
Pot is a dangerous drug for some people. Pointing to the risks associated with other substances does nothing to alleviate the potential danger in pot. Can't tell that to potheads. They just keep rationalizing their addiction like all other addicts do.

Alcohol is a dangerous drug for some people. Pointing out that there is lesser risks with Marijuana does nothing to alleviate the bigger danger of Alcohol. Can't tell that to the drunks. They keep rationalizing their addiction like all addicts do.
Ignoring the devastating risks of pot is completely avoided by the pot-addict lobby. That hurts children and that is disgusting.
Hurts kids? Not if they stay away from it....
You didn't.....:p

Of course more people are going to smoke if its legal.

As for 'marajuana not being as bad as alcohol', what's your point? Individual liberty and harm to society are a balancing act. There's a level of harm to society that's too great to bear and is thus criminalized. But anything *below* that level should be legal.

And weed is way, way below that level.
Not when you blow it into other people's bodies.

Then tobacco would be illegal. As second hand tobacco smoke is a proven cancer causer.

But tobacco isn't illegal either. Again, once society establishes a baseline of acceptable harm, anything less harmful is also legal.

Or by any rational standard, should be. Its one of the reasons that weed is being decriminalized. The argument for its criminalization is inconsistent, illogical, and poorly thought through. Plus, the social costs of criminalization are too high.
Second hand tobacco smoke as a cancer risk requires repeated and consistent exposure. Pot smoke is immediate. Like pepper spray.
Amazing how stupid potheads are. They insist that sucking thick, dark, unfiltered, hallucinogenic smoke directly in their lungs is "harmless". That's taking Stupid, marrying her, having 3 kids, and then cheating on her with her ugly sister Imbecile.

just like you keep rationalizing your bullshit,as you keep doing in every thread about pot.....
Oof! Trailing off like that is a sign of advanced brain damage caused by years of excessive marijuana abuse. You should lay off the stuff while you still have spatterings of cognitive function.

Forum List

Back