Market OVER 17K!!!!

10% corrections are not rare. They occur every bull market.

We've now gone over 1000 days without a 10% correction. It’s the longest stretch since the 1,127 day run from July 1984 to August 1987, 30 years ago – which ended with the 1987 crash, the S&P 500 being down 37%.

:thup:

Alrighty then.

When is this big "correction" set to happen?

You've guys have been fore casting it since 2009.

You know..with the "I hope he fails" mantra.
[MENTION=25283]Sallow[/MENTION],

Wow, you just completely don't get this, do you? Or are you just being obtuse?

It has nothing to do with politics. Holy crap.

Corrections are normal, healthy, temporary drops in the market when it has been over-bought, when it has gotten ahead of itself, when there is too much torque. That's why they're referred to as "corrections". They're a buying opportunity, as opposed to a secular bear market. They usually flush out much of the dumb money. They happen during (and are a part of) an overall upward trend. That's GOOD in the long run. GOOOOOOOOOOOD.

They are not crashes. They happen frequently, as you can see above. They are not about politics.

More examples during this bull run, and per your "you guys have been forecasting it since 2009" comment:

04/19/2010 - 06/28/2010 - 10.39% correction
07/18/2011 - 09/26/2011 - 11.04% correction
Source: Yahoo! Finance

That's nearly three years since the last one, which is why it is perfectly logical to speculate that the next one could be a little tougher. No big deal in the big picture, but tougher than the last few.

This is pretty simple stuff. Actual investment advisors and investors who are paying any attention learn this stuff early on. Maybe later today, while you're fixing the computer of someone who's actually in the business, you can ask.

Jeez Sallow, you're better than this, seriously. Let it go.

You're talking about something that happens over the long term.

That's an "actual" correction.

Most of you guys flummox the language so badly it's hard to know what you are talking about.

If you are referring to a gradual decline in the market over months? Yes..that happens alot.

If you are referring to an abrupt decline over days? That happens less frequently.

Don't get too excited about the market.

We are due for a correction and the longer it takes the bigger it will be. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw at minimum a 12-15% drop in the near future.

So watch it like a hawk and protect your gains.

I 'watch' it every day.

Comes with the territory.

And those kind of corrections only come when there is really bad news.

No not really.

The market is overvalued right now because of the runaway printing of money.

When that stops the punch in the gut is inevitable.

Yup.

Any day now.

Just around the corner..I tells ya.

:lol:

Don't get too excited about the market.

We are due for a correction and the longer it takes the bigger it will be. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw at minimum a 12-15% drop in the near future.

So watch it like a hawk and protect your gains.

I 'watch' it every day.

No not really.

The market is overvalued right now because there's no place else to put money for a decent return.

Alrighty then.

When is this big "correction" set to happen?

You've guys have been fore casting it since 2009.

You know..with the "I hope he fails" mantra.
[MENTION=25283]Sallow[/MENTION],

Wow, you just completely don't get this, do you? Or are you just being obtuse?

It has nothing to do with politics. Holy crap.

Corrections are normal, healthy, temporary drops in the market when it has been over-bought, when it has gotten ahead of itself, when there is too much torque. That's why they're referred to as "corrections". They're a buying opportunity, as opposed to a secular bear market. They usually flush out much of the dumb money. They happen during (and are a part of) an overall upward trend. That's GOOD in the long run. GOOOOOOOOOOOD.

They are not crashes. They happen frequently, as you can see above. They are not about politics.

More examples during this bull run, and per your "you guys have been forecasting it since 2009" comment:

04/19/2010 - 06/28/2010 - 10.39% correction
07/18/2011 - 09/26/2011 - 11.04% correction
Source: Yahoo! Finance

That's nearly three years since the last one, which is why it is perfectly logical to speculate that the next one could be a little tougher. No big deal in the big picture, but tougher than the last few.

This is pretty simple stuff. Actual investment advisors and investors who are paying any attention learn this stuff early on. Maybe later today, while you're fixing the computer of someone who's actually in the business, you can ask.

Jeez Sallow, you're better than this, seriously. Let it go.

You're talking about something that happens over the long term.

That's an "actual" correction.

Most of you guys flummox the language so badly it's hard to know what you are talking about.

If you are referring to a gradual decline in the market over months? Yes..that happens alot.

If you are referring to an abrupt decline over days? That happens less frequently.

You interpreted it as you interpreted it.

Your interpretation had nothing to do with anything I said.

Anyone who knows anything about this knows what a correction is.

This isn't adding up, Sallow. Even if you've been in IT and not investing, you've been there long enough to learn something this fundamental by osmosis, if nothing else.

I 'watch' it every day.

No not really.

The market is overvalued right now because there's no place else to put money for a decent return.

Yep, that's a lot of it. That's why dividend-paying stocks went up so much, that's why everyone is looking so hard at alts.

No not really.

Yep, that's a lot of it. That's why dividend-paying stocks went up so much, that's why everyone is looking so hard at alts.

Investors "Chasing yield" has driven the spread between junk debt and high grade debt down to 3.48%. Issuers are working 24/7 shoveling junk out as fast as they can. The fallout is going to be ugly. What most investors do not realize is that Junk (High yield) bonds behave like equities, when the inevitable correction occurs, they will fall just as hard as stocks...

I've got a great investment for everyone celebrating Dow 17000

Give me $1,000.00 today. In 14 years I will give you back $1,191.00
Man what a stupid post. How many people pile all their savings into the stock market in one day, then take it all out 14 years later? You also don't include dividend yield.

Inflation adjusted avg annual returns of S&P500, with dividends reinvested over:
5 years = 12.1%
10 years = 4.8%
20 years = 7.1%

Not quite as dramatic as with your bizarre cherry picked 14 year number.

No not really.

Investors "Chasing yield" has driven the spread between junk debt and high grade debt down to 3.48%. Issuers are working 24/7 shoveling junk out as fast as they can. The fallout is going to be ugly. What most investors do not realize is that Junk (High yield) bonds behave like equities, when the inevitable correction occurs, they will fall just as hard as stocks...
Junk bonds also behave more like stocks than bonds in a rising interest rate market which provides some protection against higher rates.

Forum List

Back