Mass shooting in Canada? did it just happen?

The Cumbria shootings was a killing spree that occurred on 2 June 2010 when a lone gunman, Derrick Bird, killed 12 people and injured 11 others before killing himself in Cumbria, England. Along with the 1987 Hungerford massacre, the 1989 Monkseaton shootings, and the 1996 Dunblane school massacre, it is one of the worst criminal acts involving firearms in British history.

So the point is, over a period of nearly 30 years, they've had all of FOUR Incidents.

We've had Aurora, Tuscon, Sandy Hook, Charleston, San Bernadino, Rosewood.. just in the last couple of years. Oh, yeah, also, Fort Hood (twice) the Navy Yard, the Sihk Temple, I'm sure I can list a lot more if I even bothered to google the ones that don't leap to my head.

So you know what, "A lot less" kind of works for me.

Then import their nuts and export our nuts.......

The Cumbria shootings was a killing spree that occurred on 2 June 2010 when a lone gunman, Derrick Bird, killed 12 people and injured 11 others before killing himself in Cumbria, England. Along with the 1987 Hungerford massacre, the 1989 Monkseaton shootings, and the 1996 Dunblane school massacre, it is one of the worst criminal acts involving firearms in British history.

So the point is, over a period of nearly 30 years, they've had all of FOUR Incidents.

We've had Aurora, Tuscon, Sandy Hook, Charleston, San Bernadino, Rosewood.. just in the last couple of years. Oh, yeah, also, Fort Hood (twice) the Navy Yard, the Sihk Temple, I'm sure I can list a lot more if I even bothered to google the ones that don't leap to my head.

Yeah, but apparently those were all just bad luck according to 2aguy.

Our nuts are inspired by the media.......theirs haven't caught up to our nuts on that count yet.

I was browsing a gun site and saw that there was a mass shooting in Canada.....but....but...they have gun control....right?

Happened yesterday. Mainly in an aboriginal town though the mayor seems to be a white guy. One of those killed was either his wife or daughter. Tragic all the way around.

This was on our news, I never even knew there were Aborigines in Canada.

I watched documentary about Aborigines in Australia and how many in their community have high rates of alcohol problems and depression problems, maybe it's the same for them in Canada and that's why this man went off the deep-end.

Perhaps you've never been acquainted with the dictionary meaning of the word
"aborigine". Simply put aborigines are the peoples who have "inhabited or existed in a land from the earliest times before the arrival of colonists, typically european."
Our Canadian aboriginal people are basically the same as your Native Americans. You probably know them better as "Indians". And our ancestors treated them with the same manifest destiny contempt as yours did. And yes you are right, they suffer the same community problems as most aboriginals the world over do. The community this happened in is mainly inhabited by Dene. They are the remnants of five tribes, the Dogrib, Chipewyan, Southern Slavey, Northern Slavey and the Loucheux who united to better negotiate their rights with the Federal Government. I haven't heard for sure if the shooter was Native but even if he was I wouldn't leap to the conclusion that was a big contributor to this tragedy. The article linked in the OP stressed a possible "copy cat" motivation and whatever psychological problems this individual might have had I think they are right, some of these mass shootings have that feeling about them.

I was browsing a gun site and saw that there was a mass shooting in Canada.....but....but...they have gun control....right?

The Media Has More Blood on its Hands with the Canadian School Shooting - The Truth About Guns

Details about the school shooting in Canada are still in short supply. We know that police have a 17-year-old male in custody, facing four counts of murder and seventeen counts of attempted murder. It seems likely that the shooting was motivated by the media coverage given to mass shooters, especially school shootings, in the western world. From thestarphoenix.com . . .

From the actual news story in the link in the article...

Did anyone know about this...was it covered anywhere in our news media?

A 17-year-old was charged with four counts of murder in connection with Friday’s deadly school shooting in La Loche, Canada, authorities said.

The teenager is also facing seven counts of attempted murder.

The charges were announced during a press conference Saturday afternoon, where officials with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police also offered some detail into how the tragic event unfolded in the remote village located in the northern part of the Saskatchewan province.

“To have the lives of teachers and these students and staff cut short by this unspeakable horrible event is simply unimaginable,” Brad Wall, premier of Saskatchewan, said during the conference.

RCMP officials said authorities responded to the La Loche Community School after reports of gunfire at the campus.

The suspected teenage shooter was taken into custody at gunpoint by RCMP officials. He was not identified because he is a minor.

An adult female was pronounced dead at the scene. An adult male was taken to a hospital where he died.

Seven also suffered gunshot wounds at the school, an RCMP official said at the press conference.

During their investigation, police also discovered an earlier shooting had also occurred at a nearby home, where two people were found dead.

The weapon used was a shotgun which is a legal weapon in most of Canada. I'm guessing the community is grateful he wasn't armed with an AK-47 or whatever.

Yes......they have had fewer because their nuts haven't done them........not because of their gun control laws...they had fewer than we had before they confiscated their guns...it is culture, not access that makes the difference between their shooters and ours...

And as the original post points out....that is changing....the media is encouraging copy cats in Canada.....and they will do so in Europe and Australia as well.......just give it time.....

Nobody in Canada believes that.

Canadians generally watch US TV. Canada's TV mostly sucks.

The Media Has More Blood on its Hands with the Canadian School Shooting - The Truth About Guns

Details about the school shooting in Canada are still in short supply. We know that police have a 17-year-old male in custody, facing four counts of murder and seventeen counts of attempted murder. It seems likely that the shooting was motivated by the media coverage given to mass shooters, especially school shootings, in the western world. From thestarphoenix.com . . .

A 17-year-old was charged with four counts of murder in connection with Friday’s deadly school shooting in La Loche, Canada, authorities said.

The charges were announced during a press conference Saturday afternoon, where officials with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police also offered some detail into how the tragic event unfolded in the remote village located in the northern part of the Saskatchewan province.

“To have the lives of teachers and these students and staff cut short by this unspeakable horrible event is simply unimaginable,” Brad Wall, premier of Saskatchewan, said during the conference.

RCMP officials said authorities responded to the La Loche Community School after reports of gunfire at the campus.

The suspected teenage shooter was taken into custody at gunpoint by RCMP officials. He was not identified because he is a minor.

An adult female was pronounced dead at the scene. An adult male was taken to a hospital where he died.

Seven also suffered gunshot wounds at the school, an RCMP official said at the press conference.

During their investigation, police also discovered an earlier shooting had also occurred at a nearby home, where two people were found dead.

The weapon used was a shotgun which is a legal weapon in most of Canada. I'm guessing the community is grateful he wasn't armed with an AK-47 or whatever.

You mean the weapon that is completely illegal in France, that you can't buy at a gun store, a gun show or through private sales, but just happens to be the preferred weapon of French criminals and also muslim terrorists in France….that AK-47? Since they are easily acquired by French criminals and French Terrorists……does French gun control which makes them illegal stop those criminals and terrorists from getting them?

You mean the weapon that is completely illegal in France, that you can't buy at a gun store, a gun show or through private sales, but just happens to be the preferred weapon of French criminals and also muslim terrorists in France….that AK-47? Since they are easily acquired by French criminals and French Terrorists……does French gun control which makes them illegal stop those criminals and terrorists from getting them?

Your pivot to France doesn't change my opinion that the community of La Loche is grateful automatic and semi-automatic weapons are a lot harder to come by in their town than they are in most of the United States. I'm sure we can agree that for someone planning mass murder they would get their hands on a high powered high capacity rifle and not a shotgun if they could.

Forum List

Back