Massive Amtrak Crash....but who cares about our highways and trains?

Trains operate on fixed track with known safe speeds for every foot of track. Automation with known parameters is not that difficult.
I don't understand why the engineer even has the option of speeding.

Trains also run on schedules that are printed out and posted in every train station along the track. If the engineer was speeding, he was just maintaining and keeping to the schedule.

Amtrak knows how fast their trains are going if, for example, one leaves Phila at 7:00pm and is scheduled to arrive at Penn Station at 8:00.

The trains coming into Penn Station terminal cannot change their schedules because everything is timed to come in and go back out on a set time table.

I suspect there will be lawsuits, lots of them.

But Amtrak trying to turn the train around and make more trips to add to their bottom line might be alleviated if there had been more support for our infrastructure over the past 30 years.

Last edited:
Amtrack is like the postal service, a relic of the past. Outside of a fast train in the Northeast corridor from Washington to Boston, the rest is practically useless.

GOP Appropriators Cut $250 Million of Grants for Amtrak Capital Investments
May 13, 2015, 3:12 PM ET[/B]

The total legitimate US Federal Investment in AMTRAK is $0.00. It should be taken over by a PRIVATE company (if anyone would take it) and either run by them or put out of everyone's misery (my preference).
Indeed.
Non-commuter passenger rail service is unprofitable because of low demand; the market prefers air and auto travel.
Public subsidies for a non-essential service the market does not want is, well, stupid.
You've got it backasswards if you are referring to the NE corridor. And that's what this thread is about.
It appears you cannot read.
I said: "Non-commuter passenger rail service is unprofitable...."
Now that I cleared that up -- please feel to meaningfully comment on what I wrote.
Good luck.

Trains operate on fixed track with known safe speeds for every foot of track. Automation with known parameters is not that difficult.
Trains also run on schedules that are printed out and posted in every train station along the track. If the engineer was speeding, he was just maintaining and keeping to the schedule.
Amtrak knows how fast their trains are going if, for example, one leaves Phila at 7:00pm and is scheduled to arrive at Penn Station at 8:00.
So... you believe the -real- reason for the accident is Amtrak mismanagement.

The trains coming into Penn Station terminal cannot change their schedules because everything is timed to come in and go back out on a set time table.

why is anyone defending this? you can't seriously justifying going twice the rated speed just to keep a schedule. trains are late all the time. better late than this crash.

:cuckoo:

You can be traveling on a road with a 45 mph speed limit that has a corner with a 25 mph speed limit. That doesn't change the speed limit for the entire road, just that corner!

and traveling twice the rated speed of the corner is acceptable to you? you're the weird one, this is public transit, not you driving yourself around a corner. if he indeed that was the speed, i can believe anyone would justify doing 107 around a corner rated at 50 mph. that is insane.

and comparing 45 to 25 shows how weird you are. you know nothing about speed.

See post #101. Amtrak knows how fast their trains travel.

Last time I mentioned our crumbling infrastructure I was derided for sounding like a broken record. So six people dead and 140 injured. So six people dead and 140 injured. So six people dead and....

Not to mention that all train traffic between Phila and NYC has been stopped since last night at 9:30. You shut down NYC and the country will come to a halt, too.

Conservatives do not like trains
Where do you come up with this nonsense?? Daily you put up bull shit like this,do they publish a wing nuts book of lies? or do you just spew out what ever pops into your head?

You can be traveling on a road with a 45 mph speed limit that has a corner with a 25 mph speed limit. That doesn't change the speed limit for the entire road, just that corner!

and traveling twice the rated speed of the corner is acceptable to you? you're the weird one, this is public transit, not you driving yourself around a corner. if he indeed that was the speed, i can believe anyone would justify doing 107 around a corner rated at 50 mph. that is insane.

so you're justifying going twice the rated speed because, well, amtrak knows how fast their trains can travel?

are you insane?

why is anyone defending this? you can't seriously justifying going twice the rated speed just to keep a schedule. trains are late all the time. better late than this crash.

I am not justifying this. I am giving you simple math that Amtrak uses: Distance + speed = travel time. Which they publish for their passengers. I have used the NE Corridor extensively and most times the train arrives and departs on time unless there's an accident or breakdown or a Hurricane Sandy.

[
Yes -- and, you argue, the engineer was simply going as fast as the schedule Amtrak set.
Why aren't you screaming for Amtrak to be held criminally liable for these deaths?
When are you going to show that the automobile companies "quashed" passenger rail travel?

if he indeed that was the speed,

Speculation. We still don't know what speed the train was actually doing.

If you take that Amtrak route you can sign into the WiFi and the trains actually uses GPS to show you were the train is at any point and what speed it is doing. I have been on it and seen the speed shown as 125 mph. Trains use that route at those speeds all day, every day.

So right now all we have is speculation. What I find most curious is that the engineer was not mentioned in any of the stories. What happened to him?

That was just an example to explain my point! Sheesh!

Clearly, they didn't in this case. Otherwise there wouldn't be 7 dead and over 200 injured, some critically. And just think, you want the WHOLE country to be run by the government. What a moron.

This line, the Northeast Corridor, is a nightmare to ride. The rail system between D.C. and Boston hasn't been updated in over 60 years.

But bomb, bomb, bomb ....bomb, bomb Iran. Yeah baby! Defense spending trumps our own citizens' ability to get to work every day.

Death Toll Rises to 6 in Philadelphia Amtrak Train Wreck
(140 injured)

Death Toll Rises to 6 in Philadelphia Amtrak Train Wreck - WSJ
BN-IJ919_0513pa_P_20150513003151.jpg

The Chinese, French, Italians, Japanese, et al. are laughing at us.
large_article_im2631_China_Bullet_Train.jpg
why can we still afford an extra-Constitutional War on Drugs but not state-of-the-art infrastructure?

Which is a perfectly acceptable speed for that section of the track.

then why is the track rated only 50 mph? according to the source the train was doing twice that and you find this acceptable?

how?

Clearly, they didn't in this case. Otherwise there wouldn't be 7 dead and over 200 injured, some critically. And just think, you want the WHOLE country to be run by the government. What a moron.

OMG, you've never taken the train. Let me get out my flashcards for you, like Bill O'Reilly does.

There are set times to leave and arrive to and from stations. The train doesn't sit there and wait to fill up. The doors close 5 minutes before departure.

Everything is TIMED. Damn, just when I didn't think anyone on here could get dumber.

Last time I mentioned our crumbling infrastructure I was derided for sounding like a broken record. So six people dead and 140 injured. So six people dead and 140 injured. So six people dead and....

Not to mention that all train traffic between Phila and NYC has been stopped since last night at 9:30. You shut down NYC and the country will come to a halt, too.

Conservatives do not like trains

Right. They have been brainwashed by the Big Three.

then why is the track rated only 50 mph? according to the source the train was doing twice that and you find this acceptable?

how?

OMG, you've never taken the train. Let me get out my flashcards for you, like Bill O'Reilly does.

There are set times to leave and arrive to and from stations. The train doesn't sit there and wait to fill up. The doors close 5 minutes before departure.

Everything is TIMED. Damn, just when I didn't think anyone on here could get dumber.

Talk about a moron, you are it sweetie. You are correct, I don't take the train very much. When I do it is in France. We use the Paris Metro a lot as it is so good. When we travel to London we take the train as well. From Paris to St. Pancras station is about 2.5 hours, and the cost is 69 pounds. A very good rate for the traveler, and all thanks to the car owners that subsidize the trains.

In the eyes of our liberal contingent whether or not the train was exceeding a speed limit will solely be determined by whether the driver was Republican or Democrat.

Facts are irrelevant.

This line, the Northeast Corridor, is a nightmare to ride. The rail system between D.C. and Boston hasn't been updated in over 60 years.

But bomb, bomb, bomb ....bomb, bomb Iran. Yeah baby! Defense spending trumps our own citizens' ability to get to work every day.

Death Toll Rises to 6 in Philadelphia Amtrak Train Wreck
(140 injured)

Death Toll Rises to 6 in Philadelphia Amtrak Train Wreck - WSJ
BN-IJ919_0513pa_P_20150513003151.jpg

The Chinese, French, Italians, Japanese, et al. are laughing at us.
large_article_im2631_China_Bullet_Train.jpg
why can we still afford an extra-Constitutional War on Drugs but not state-of-the-art infrastructure?
That's easy. Politics

In the eyes of our liberal contingent whether or not the train was exceeding a speed limit will solely be determined by whether the driver was Republican or Democrat.

Facts are irrelevant.

It's really important to clarify the political affiliation of the driver and engine so the MSM will know whether they are guilt or victimized.

Forum List

Back