Massive Amtrak Crash....but who cares about our highways and trains?

In the eyes of our liberal contingent whether or not the train was exceeding a speed limit will solely be determined by whether the driver was Republican or Democrat.

Facts are irrelevant.

It's really important to clarify the political affiliation of the driver and engine so the MSM will know whether they are guilt or victimized.

The engineer is probably a member of a union so extremist rightwankers will blame him irrespective of the actual cause of the crash.

The death toll is now 7 with 200 injured.
Certainly the Right doesn't care about infrastructure .. they just cut AMTRAK funding.
I heard on TV that the US spends 1.7% of the budget on infrastructure, Europe 5%, China 6%.
If you travel, the difference is obvious.

In the eyes of our liberal contingent whether or not the train was exceeding a speed limit will solely be determined by whether the driver was Republican or Democrat.

Facts are irrelevant.

It's really important to clarify the political affiliation of the driver and engine so the MSM will know whether they are guilt or victimized.

The engineer is probably a member of a union so extremist rightwankers will blame him irrespective of the actual cause of the crash.

And loons such as yourself are already screeching for More Money.

This line, the Northeast Corridor, is a nightmare to ride. The rail system between D.C. and Boston hasn't been updated in over 60 years.

But bomb, bomb, bomb ....bomb, bomb Iran. Yeah baby! Defense spending trumps our own citizens' ability to get to work every day.

Death Toll Rises to 6 in Philadelphia Amtrak Train Wreck
(140 injured)

Death Toll Rises to 6 in Philadelphia Amtrak Train Wreck - WSJ
BN-IJ919_0513pa_P_20150513003151.jpg

The Chinese, French, Italians, Japanese, et al. are laughing at us.
large_article_im2631_China_Bullet_Train.jpg
why can we still afford an extra-Constitutional War on Drugs but not state-of-the-art infrastructure?
That's easy. Politics
why does the right not complain about the boondoggle and generational form of theft that is our War on Drugs instead of social welfare for the least wealthy?

The safety bureau has already said that the train was traveling at over 100 mph in a curve that was only rated for 50.

Additionally, there have been reports from various officials who have said that yes, in certain places they have sensors that register the trains speed and warn the engineer if they're going too fast, or, in some of the latest ones, the sensor will actually slow the train down.

Only trouble is, we don't have those on ALL of the corners that would require them because there isn't enough money to do so.

And no....................you can't keep screeching that the train is always going to be on time because of the schedule. I remember one time when I transferred from Newport RI to Norfolk, I rode the train from Providence to DC. Not only were we over 4 hours late (NYC had a lot of congestion that day for some reason), but Amtrak put me up in a motel overnight and bought my meals because we were so late.

No...................update the rails, put safety sensors on ALL curves and lets keep the trains running.

Remember..................it was the trains that originally built this country.

The safety bureau has already said that the train was traveling at over 100 mph in a curve that was only rated for 50.

Additionally, there have been reports from various officials who have said that yes, in certain places they have sensors that register the trains speed and warn the engineer if they're going too fast, or, in some of the latest ones, the sensor will actually slow the train down.

Only trouble is, we don't have those on ALL of the corners that would require them because there isn't enough money to do so.

And no....................you can't keep screeching that the train is always going to be on time because of the schedule. I remember one time when I transferred from Newport RI to Norfolk, I rode the train from Providence to DC. Not only were we over 4 hours late (NYC had a lot of congestion that day for some reason), but Amtrak put me up in a motel overnight and bought my meals because we were so late.

No...................update the rails, put safety sensors on ALL curves and lets keep the trains running.

Remember..................it was the trains that originally built this country.
The warning system you mention stops the train if it's going too fast, but is only on the ACELA trains [this train was not ACELA].

Trains operate on fixed track with known safe speeds for every foot of track. Automation with known parameters is not that difficult.
I don't understand why the engineer even has the option of speeding.

Trains also run on schedules that are printed out and posted in every train station along the track. If the engineer was speeding, he was just maintaining and keeping to the schedule.

Amtrak knows how fast their trains are going if, for example, one leaves Phila at 7:00pm and is scheduled to arrive at Penn Station at 8:00.

The trains coming into Penn Station terminal cannot change their schedules because everything is timed to come in and go back out on a set time table.

I suspect there will be lawsuits, lots of them.

why is anyone defending this? you can't seriously justifying going twice the rated speed just to keep a schedule. trains are late all the time. better late than this crash.

I am not justifying this. I am giving you simple math that Amtrak uses: Distance + speed = travel time. Which they publish for their passengers. I have used the NE Corridor extensively and most times the train arrives and departs on time unless there's an accident or breakdown or a Hurricane Sandy.

cite proof trains are not supposed to slow for that corner and cite proof that amtrak okays trains donig over a hundred at the corner.

Trains operate on fixed track with known safe speeds for every foot of track. Automation with known parameters is not that difficult.
I don't understand why the engineer even has the option of speeding.

Trains also run on schedules that are printed out and posted in every train station along the track. If the engineer was speeding, he was just maintaining and keeping to the schedule.

Amtrak knows how fast their trains are going if, for example, one leaves Phila at 7:00pm and is scheduled to arrive at Penn Station at 8:00.

The trains coming into Penn Station terminal cannot change their schedules because everything is timed to come in and go back out on a set time table.

I suspect there will be lawsuits, lots of them.

But Amtrak trying to turn the train around and make more trips to add to their bottom line might be alleviated if there had been more support for our infrastructure over the past 30 years.

What an excuse, there is no excuse for taking a 50 mph curve at 107 mph, there is no way that Amtrak schedules it so anyone has to take a curve that fast. Safety is the top consideration. Infrastructure is not the reason for this event, it sounds like bad decision making.

if he indeed that was the speed,

Speculation. We still don't know what speed the train was actually doing.

If you take that Amtrak route you can sign into the WiFi and the trains actually uses GPS to show you were the train is at any point and what speed it is doing. I have been on it and seen the speed shown as 125 mph. Trains use that route at those speeds all day, every day.

So right now all we have is speculation. What I find most curious is that the engineer was not mentioned in any of the stories. What happened to him?

and comparing 45 to 25 shows how weird you are. you know nothing about speed.

That was just an example to explain my point! Sheesh!

i never said it wasn't speculation. and your example was not a good one. do you really think it is safe for trains to do over a hundred around a corner rated for only 50 mph?

Certainly the Right doesn't care about infrastructure .. they just cut AMTRAK funding.
I heard on TV that the US spends 1.7% of the budget on infrastructure, Europe 5%, China 6%.

was infrastructure or speed to blame?

This line, the Northeast Corridor, is a nightmare to ride. The rail system between D.C. and Boston hasn't been updated in over 60 years.

But bomb, bomb, bomb ....bomb, bomb Iran. Yeah baby! Defense spending trumps our own citizens' ability to get to work every day.

Death Toll Rises to 6 in Philadelphia Amtrak Train Wreck
(140 injured)

Death Toll Rises to 6 in Philadelphia Amtrak Train Wreck - WSJ
BN-IJ919_0513pa_P_20150513003151.jpg

The Chinese, French, Italians, Japanese, et al. are laughing at us.
large_article_im2631_China_Bullet_Train.jpg

Your President and his administration continue to provide $70,000,000,000 per MONTH to keep Wall Street inflated....
Nothing on that I see...

Yurt....................it's never safe to exceed the recommended speed limit on ANY curve in ANY KIND of vehicle.

Why?

Simple..............physics and centrifugal force.

Clearly, we should modify all of our infrastructure so that everything goes in a straight line with no dangerous curves or turns.

See? Easy Peasy solution that Big Government can make into a regulation, "toot sweet"!

If we had real high speed trains like Europe and China have there would have been no problem.
You and the rest of the Right think we should be happy with our old infrastructure.

Clearly, we should modify all of our infrastructure so that everything goes in a straight line with no dangerous curves or turns.

See? Easy Peasy solution that Big Government can make into a regulation, "toot sweet"!
Yeah, and we'll make everything go downhill and save on energy with gravity. Big government baby!

Yeah, and we'll make everything go downhill and save on energy with gravity. Big government baby!

Heck, let's just pass a law that all trains must be lined with poofy nerf balls and get 1,000,000 miles to the gallon!

So, I'm watching the NTSB press conference.

The spokesman says the train was indeed going over 100mph on a 50mph curve.

Subject to validation, but "pretty confident" that the speeds were within 1-2 MPH of the preliminary estimates.

If we had real high speed trains like Europe and China have there would have been no problem.
You and the rest of the Right think we should be happy with our old infrastructure.

actually fool, i am not on the right and believe we should have high speed rails similar to europe.

the fact is, the OP blamed current infrastructure for the crash, now we find out it is likely to be speed and NOTHING to do with infrastructure.

Forum List

Back