Maybe it's time to move on.

kiwiman127

Comfortably Moderate
Oct 19, 2010
4th Cleanest City in the World-Minneapolis
I'm seriously thinking about moving on to another board. The reason is simple, I'm really getting fed up with the totally super partisan threads that are based on nothing but talking points. Also, there are rare discussions on this board, it's always someone stating an opinion and then followed up with posts containing derogatory comments flying both ways sans facts. I try very hard not to stoop to this level but sometimes it gets really hard not to get fed up.
It seems to be requirement to personally insult someone who disagrees with you.
I find this trend to be boring and certainly not stimulating.
This board isn't lacking intelligent posters, it's just that they get drowned out by hyper- partisans who would prefer going to the gutter approach. I would love to know exactly how many threads end up going off-topic because of posters with partisan anger issues.
So anyway, it's time to go shopping for a board that is dominated by cool heads, good fact filled discussions by posters who have the ability to think for themselves.

I'm seriously thinking about moving on to another board. The reason is simple, I'm really getting fed up with the totally super partisan threads that are based on nothing but talking points. Also, there are rare discussions on this board, it's always someone stating an opinion and then followed up with posts containing derogatory comments flying both ways sans facts. I try very hard not to stoop to this level but sometimes it gets really hard not to get fed up.
This board isn't lacking intelligent posters, it's just that they get drowned out by hyper- partisans who would prefer going to the gutter approach. I would love to know exactly how many threads end up going off-topic because of posters with partisan anger issues.
So anyway, it's time to go shopping for a board that is dominated by cool heads, good fact filled discussions by posters who have the ability to think for themselves.

That is when you read the ones that are meaningful. The grass isn't really greener on the other side of the fence. Find what you are interested in and stick to it. There are others reading, watching, and enjoying. Give back the same to them. Raise up gratitude and it will be returned. Pay no mind to the few that get on and spew venom. Just pass on to the next comment that is constructive and let them know how much you value their contribution. In time, the ignored dog is tamed.

Oh, by the way, how about that new flag debate going on down there in New Zealand?

Last edited:

I hear what you are saying. I pride myself, as it appears you do as well, not to get in the mud with the pigs when the vulgar language and personal attacks come. When they do, I know I'm winning.

Take the board for what it is. A place to view, in full frame, the thinking of the opposition party. I find it an educational experience as I try to compute the liberal equation and how it equals a pipe-dream called success.

-Geaux

Clean Debate Zone (2 Viewing)
The Clean Debate Zone is to be used for the clean debating of Government Policies, Candidates, Current News and Events ONLY. No personal attacks, name calling, flaming etc is allowed in this section.

Why are there so few threads in the USMB Clean Debate Section?

And why aren't you posting there exclusively?

Maybe the grass is greener elsewhere.

Maybe not.

EDIT: Taking a look at your public profile and the people who have left cheerful visitor messages and those who have befriended you, I should probably just say, "Happy Trails to you!"

:lol:

Last edited:

Yeah, the "grass is greener" thing is a good point, this type of behavior appears to permeate the internet in general. It illustrates why this country is in trouble -- all issues are immediately politicized, which means they're dumbed down and simplified into shallow, bumper-sticker arguments. You simply cannot fix a large, complicated problem like that. But here we are.

So, in addition to observing the opinions of lefties and righties, I look at this stuff as a fascinating amateur psychological / sociological / anthropological study. So when someone goes into the traditional name-calling and insults and straw men with me, I use that as an opportunity to wonder what makes them behave like that.

Making lemonade out of lemons, in other words.

I have been coming to political boards for many years now, they are all partisan bickering and rock throwing. After all, a board is a mini version of society. So the very divided nation we live in, is of course here also.
There has been only one board in all of these years that has ONE forum called "formal discussion" that has decent discussions.

It gets that way wherever you are. I understand how you feel tho, let me know where you are, kiwiman. :)

Ya because partisanship, personal attacks, and immaturity aren't found on other boards. Grow up. If you can't handle opposition why even join a discussion site? Wanna only talk with people who agree with you find a fan site or similar. Discussion sites are going to be filled with people that don't agree with you on every little thing. Screw em./ Present your case, don't compromise, don't kiss ass, and be content knowing you made youc ase and though some wont buy it, some will. If you're only interested in being appealing to everyone you shouldn't be here. You should run for political office. :)

What rubbish. First off partisan? Code for people who dont believe as you and wont change. If you think you are going to find a place that does not have people who insult you or others then you are being naive. These holier then thou posts irritate me because it assumes you have NEVER engaged in a heated debate. You are also insulting ALL the posters in this forum as nothing more then idiots who never show facts. Like Jesus said "he who is without sin throw the first stone"

What rubbish. First off partisan? Code for people who dont believe as you and wont change. If you think you are going to find a place that does not have people who insult you or others then you are being naive. These holier then thou posts irritate because it assumes you have NEVER engaged in a heated debate. You are also insulting ALL the posters in this forum as nothing more then idiots who never show facts. Like Jesus said "he who is without sin throw the first stone"

^^^^^^^^^^

so sayeth one of the worst offenders on the board.

even doing so above.

lmao.

Ya because partisanship, personal attacks, and immaturity aren't found on other boards. Grow up. If you can't handle opposition why even join a discussion site? Wanna only talk with people who agree with you find a fan site or similar. Discussion sites are going to be filled with people that don't agree with you on every little thing. Screw em./ Present your case, don't compromise, don't kiss ass, and be content knowing you made youc ase and though some wont buy it, some will. If you're only interested in being appealing to everyone you shouldn't be here. You should run for political office. :)

Lighten up. He's got a point. When people respond to a thread just to hijack the discussion it's disheartening. No matter who does it, Delta.

What rubbish. First off partisan? Code for people who dont believe as you and wont change. If you think you are going to find a place that does not have people who insult you or others then you are being naive. These holier then thou posts irritate because it assumes you have NEVER engaged in a heated debate. You are also insulting ALL the posters in this forum as nothing more then idiots who never show facts. Like Jesus said "he who is without sin throw the first stone"

^^^^^^^^^^

even doing so above.

lmao.

It is called being honest. You should try it sometimes.

Lighten up. He's got a point. When people respond to a thread just to hijack the discussion it's disheartening. No matter who does it, Delta.

Then you do like the rest of us do....You ignore it and move on. Threads get derailed by many things and I am betting the majority of it is caused by things like talking about your pets or Food being a huge one.

The Clean Debate Zone is to be used for the clean debating of Government Policies, Candidates, Current News and Events ONLY. No personal attacks, name calling, flaming etc is allowed in this section.

Maybe not.

EDIT: Taking a look at your public profile and the people who have left cheerful visitor messages and those who have befriended you, I should probably just say, "Happy Trails to you!"

You are kidding me, right? You actually look at people's profiles here and qualify them by who friended them? Do you know how I friended people on this board? At random. I didn't know any of them and just friended a bunch of people. Have a look! lol.. I cannot believe how some of you think! Too amazing for words!

To respond to the OP - I have noticed that if one wont use foul language,won't bash publicly who everyone else is bashing publicly,doesn't join in on filthy jokes, godless chatter, email gossip, etc. people assume you're not as commited. To me the biggest talkers are usually not too interested in results. They want an audience. The way to solve that is don't respond to them. If everyone made a commmitment to not respond to trashy posts it would soon end. A fire will die if you don't feed it. Same principle with a board.

note* If the admin and mods had to control it they would end up killing the board. It has to be done by the bloggers. Not the admin / mods. It's called self discipline. A novel idea for some. - Jeri

^^^^^^^^^^

even doing so above.

lmao.

It is called being honest. You should try it sometimes.

that was honest. you're just a hack so you don't know what "honest" is.

run along, troll.

you're exactly what he was talking about.

Maybe not.

You are kidding me, right? You actually look at people's profiles here and qualify them by who friended them? Do you know how I friended people on this board? At random. I didn't know any of them and just friended a bunch of people. Have a look! lol.. I cannot believe how some of you think! Too amazing for words!i

Get off your holier than thou soap box.

I see more from a person's profile than you do.

So, what seems to you like a casual, cursory dismissal on my part, based on insufficient evidence, is actually a fairly accurate method of IFF pinging, so to speak. Especially when no other ID is readily available.

Ahhh, but you aren't as skilled as I at discerning the facts from such scant evidence.

Maybe one day you will understand how I can do this successfully where you are left scratching your head in wonderment having ASSUMED such a feat was impossible.

You may go now, grasshopper.

Keep in touch if you can. You will be missed if you go. You had a good voice here. A lot of what you are describing will be found on any political board you go to. It's the world of politics. I just skim over the name calling and the trolling and move on. Don't let it get to you. Just engage the intelligent posters that are here and don't worry about the ones you don't want to talk to. If you really need a break from it all, take a break and come back. Whatever you do, best of luck to you.

Get thee to a nunnery or the CLEAN DEBATE ZONE!!!

Anyone who supports the OP's line is OBVIOUSLY Liberal. Because only Liberals would complain and threaten to leave a board because it was too argumentative even though there exists at that board a SEPARATE SECTION DEVOTED TO CLEAN DEBATE!!!

:cuckoo:

Forum List

Back