Megamillions Lottery Tickets Jumping from $2 to $5.

Mashmont

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2022
"Mega Millions players will have to pay $5 for a ticket — more than twice the current cost — beginning next April as part of an overhaul of the 22-year-old lottery game, Mega Millions announced on Monday.
The planned increase in the price of a ticket, which currently costs $2, is part of a larger effort to have larger jackpots and improve ticket buyers’ odds, the lottery said in a news release.
It will be the second time since the lottery game began in 2002 that the cost has gone up. The odds will be increased because of a change in the number of balls available for drawing, a Mega Millions official said, adding that more details would be released closer to April.
Joshua Johnston, the lead director at Mega Millions, said that researchers had found that lottery ticket buyers on average were spending more than $5 for a variety of different games."

I usually buy two $2 tickets when the lottery gets to $1 billion, but I won't waste $5. I predict others feel the same way. Still, there are many sick people who would play no matter what.

How do you people feel? Will this move cause you to stop playing, assuming you do? Or is $5 the new $1 because of Kamalinflation, and it won't matter?

Last edited:
"Mega Millions players will have to pay $5 for a ticket — more than twice the current cost — beginning next April as part of an overhaul of the 22-year-old lottery game, Mega Millions announced on Monday.
The planned increase in the price of a ticket, which currently costs $2, is part of a larger effort to have larger jackpots and improve ticket buyers’ odds, the lottery said in a news release.
It will be the second time since the lottery game began in 2002 that the cost has gone up. The odds will be increased because of a change in the number of balls available for drawing, a Mega Millions official said, adding that more details would be released closer to April.
Joshua Johnston, the lead director at Mega Millions, said that researchers had found that lottery ticket buyers on average were spending more than $5 for a variety of different games."

I usually buy two $2 tickets when the lottery gets to $1 billion, but I won't waste $5. I predict others feel the same way. Still, there are many sick people who would play no matter what.

How do you people feel? Will this move cause you to stop playing, assuming you do? Or is $5 the new $1 because of Kamalinflation, and it won't matter?
So they're increasing the poor tax.

The lottery doesn't interest me. The odds of being struck by lightning are greater.

People will throw away a buck or two for the dream of winning a big lottery

They may hesitate to throw away $5-$10

This is wh
The lottery doesn't interest me. The odds of being struck by lightning are greater.
I remember hearing someone say that buying a ticket five days before the drawing means you have a better chance of dying before that drawing than winning the prize.

Even at $5 there’ll be suckers who’ll buy tickets thinking they’re going to win something.

Even at $5 there’ll be suckers who’ll buy tickets thinking they’re going to win something.
I think Lottery officials realize how many people jump in to play when the pot goes over $1 billion

$5 tickets will grow to a billion a lot faster than $2 tickets

Yep, I am out at that price.

Forum List

Back