Member of gay community: children need both a dad and a mom

P@triot

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2011
United States
But his own experience as a parent revealed to him that children need a mom and a dad, and that marriage is ultimately about putting the needs of children before the desires of adults.

In a recent article at Public Discourse titled “I’m Gay and I Oppose Same-Sex Marriage,” Mainwaring makes the bold claim that: "To be fully formed, children need to be free to generously receive from and express affection to parents of both genders. Genderless marriages deny this fullness".

Mainwaring is also clear on what influenced his thinking about marriage: “Neither religion nor tradition has played a significant role in forming my stance. But reason and experience certainly have

Openly Gay Adoptive Parent Opposes Same-Sex Marriage

Sadly, that is something you will never see from liberals (putting the needs of the children before the desires of the adults).

But his own experience as a parent revealed to him that children need a mom and a dad, and that marriage is ultimately about putting the needs of children before the desires of adults.

In a recent article at Public Discourse titled “I’m Gay and I Oppose Same-Sex Marriage,” Mainwaring makes the bold claim that: "To be fully formed, children need to be free to generously receive from and express affection to parents of both genders. Genderless marriages deny this fullness".

Mainwaring is also clear on what influenced his thinking about marriage: “Neither religion nor tradition has played a significant role in forming my stance. But reason and experience certainly have

Is it true that half of marriages end up in divorce? half?

I don't know the exact statistics - why? What does that have to do with anything?

I don't know the exact statistics - why? What does that have to do with anything?

So should children living in divorced single family households be taken away from their parents since they aren't growing up with that "traditional" experience?

So should children living in divorced single family households be taken away from their parents since they aren't growing up with that "traditional" experience?

Good point.

My sister is a lesbian and has two kids with her partner. They seem to be doing just fine.

Doug Mainwaring is one such advocate. An adoptive parent and openly gay man, he is perhaps the unlikeliest opponent of redefining marriage. But his own experience as a parent revealed to him that children need a mom and a dad, and that marriage is ultimately about putting the needs of children before the desires of adults.
Why?

Where is it written all homosexuals must believe the same things?

Homosexuals are human first and foremost, and humans are often wrong, such is the case with Mr. Mainwaring.

Marriage equality isn’t solely about procreation and child rearing. Many opposite-sex couples have no children, and there is no evidence the children of same-sex couples suffer any adverse effects as a consequence of their parents’ sexual orientation; indeed, research cited in Perry, the Proposition 8 case currently before the Supreme Court, documents that children who live in the home with same-sex parents are just as well-adjusted and happy as children living with opposite-sex couples.

Children will flourish in a home providing safety and love regardless their parents’ gender.

His reason and experience led him to conclude that marriage is about connecting children to a mom and a dad. As marriage goes before the Supreme Court in late March, it is time to focus on this central matter in the marriage debate. That issue is undermined if marriage is redefined to center the institution on adults, rather than children.
This is another mistake made by those on the right and other opponents of equal protection rights, the inane notion that marriage is being ‘redefined' or otherwise jeopardized, nothing could be further from the truth.

In fact, same-sex couples wish to keep marriage exactly as it exists now: a commitment between two equal partners, recognized and endorsed by the state. Same-sex couples are just as desirous to see marriage preserved and protected as opposite-sex couples.

Do you think divorce only happens in marriages between straight people?

It has to do with the fact that millions of children grow up in single parent homes, and that they are perfectly happy and well-adjusted.

It goes to the fact that ‘what’s best for children’ has nothing to do with equal protection rights for same-sex couples, and it is not a justification to deny them their rights, as research has determined children are safe and properly cared for living with same-sex parents.

Indeed, it’s a shameful and cynical attempt to cloud the issue with the emotion associated with the welfare of children.

Good point.

My sister is a lesbian and has two kids with her partner. They seem to be doing just fine.

Kids tend to adapt well to different situations. So long as they are receiving love and good direction, I don't see a problem with gays having and raising kids.

[ame=http://youtu.be/j4On-2Pn2fU]Phoenix gay dads adopt, raise 12 happy kids - YouTube[/ame]

a case-by-case thing...

sure, a loving hetero couple is the ideal situation for kids...

but how often to we see that...? in this day and age, mebbe 50-50 at best...

better to have a loving homo couple raise a kid than a hell-on-earth mom and dad...

and better'n a single parent struggling to pull it off...

Yes, I know it's shocking...but there are even moronic and stupid "gay people". Who'd a thunk?

It is always good to see a poster going on about rights and freedoms and small government on one thread - and then want governments to decide who can and can not get married on another.

If two gay people want to get married why not let them decide if its appropriate or not.

I'm sorry - does being divorced suddenly mean that the child no longer has a mom and a dad? Does one parent spontaneously combust? Do aliens come and beam up one parent? :cuckoo:

It is always good to see a poster going on about rights and freedoms and small government on one thread - and then want governments to decide who can and can not get married on another.

If two gay people want to get married why not let them decide if its appropriate or not.

Um, actually stupid, this is very consistent with my small government beliefs. The gay community is demanding government hop into bed with them and recognize their marriage. Like all things, I'm trying to keep government out of their bed. I 100% gays creating some kind of union of their own. No government involvement. :cuckoo:

I swear Saigon, just when I believe you have achieved the absolute pinnacle of stupidity, you figure out a way to take it to a whole new level...

If divorce hadn't skyrocketed with so many marriages ending in a revolving bedroom door, we wouldn't be discussing same sex marriage today. First marriage had to be weakened. And no one thinks about the children.

There is vast amounts of research to support the concept of a traditional family (Dad, Mom - married) is the best environment for children.

To deny that is silly.

Having said that, it does not necessarily mean that children from non traditional homes will not thrive - just that they are less likely to.

Seems to me, kids thrive when they have decent family and decent role models... which is why the US is struggling as a society. Our 'liberal' attitudes are fucking up our kids... but hey, let's pretend it isn't and ban shit that we don't like instead.

Forum List

Back