Memo sets rationale to kill Qaida-linked citizens

Freewill

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2011
Now imagine if this were the Bush administration. I just want to know who exactly makes the decision.

Memo sets rationale to kill Qaida-linked citizens - Timesonline.com: Washington

The memo does not require the U.S. to have information about a specific imminent attack against the U.S. But it does require that capture of a terrorist suspect not be feasible and that any such lethal operation by the United States targeting a person comply with fundamental law-of-war principles.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qfZnWliukSI]White House - Drone Strikes Are 'Legal,' 'Ethical' And 'Wise' - YouTube[/ame]

First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.

Then the American born terrorists came for you and you did not speak up because you thought they were one of you. Now you are dead. Irony so thick...

Then the American born terrorists came for you and you did not speak up because you thought they were one of you. Now you are dead. Irony so thick...

Do they come before or after Obama takes our guns? Big difference.

So you are OK with the CIA being judge, jury and executioner as long as it isn't you? Or someone you know that just happens to be sitting in the blast zone?

aayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwpppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

another whacko thread on this?

wtf is wrong with you people?

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Public TV has this on now

Who cares?

That is so fucking Zen.

Do they come before or after Obama takes our guns? Big difference.

So you are OK with the CIA being judge, jury and executioner as long as it isn't you? Or someone you know that just happens to be sitting in the blast zone?

I'm ok with the CIA being judge, jury and executioner because they are in a position to know who the enemy combatants are. Now ask yourself if you are in any position to know who is and is not a member of Al-qeada and can justify a judgement (by an irrelevant standard) against the CIA for protecting Americans from terrorists. Citizenship should not shield a person from the consequences of declaring war against the home country which is what happens when you willfully join the enemy.

Last edited:
Where is Ted Kazinski when we really need him?

True, you guys don't give a f... about the dead at Benghzi it is hardly surprising you don't give a f... about the CIA being judge, jury and executioner. And I thought Bush bad for rendition. Obama just kills them.

This sure contradicts the left's old way of doing things, like ensuring that all terrorist suspects be read their rights, have a lawyer provided and then try to bring them back to the states because they don't think military tribunals are fair enough. The same lawyer that stalled the military tribunals (from Holder's firm, no less) later bitched about the prisoners being held so long without a trial. The military tribunals would have been done and over with had it not been for liberal lawyers stepping in on the terrorist suspects behalf.

Now, they sit quietly while the administration chooses who to kill. So much for fairness or due process. I think the foreign terrorists who were arrested should have had a military trial.

In this country, any citizen has rights and Obama has no authority to take that away from any of us. No one can make unconstitutional rules at will and that is what has been done here. We are a country ruled by the people, not a damn dictatorship. Either we all have rights or none of us has rights. I hate terrorists and wish we could arrest, try and put them to death if they are guilty, but there is a process. Government is breaking the constitution by skipping all that and just imposing a death penalty.

I would not trust anyone, in any party, with this. I especially don't trust Obama after hearing him call those who want borders secure the enemy. And the DHS list of potential terrorists included ex-military and other conservative qualities, like believing in the constitution. I can just imagine who is going to get executed, and on his word. No fucking way should this be allowed.

Last edited:
This sure contradicts the left's old way of doing things, like ensuring that all terrorist suspects be read their rights, have a lawyer provided and then try to bring them back to the states because they don't think military tribunals are fair enough. The same lawyer that stalled the military tribunals (from Holder's firm, no less) later bitched about the prisoners being held so long without a trial. The military tribunals would have been done and over with had it not been for liberal lawyers stepping in on the terrorist suspects behalf.

Now, they sit quietly while the administration chooses who to kill. So much for fairness or due process. I think the foreign terrorists who were arrested should have had a military trial.

In this country, any citizen has rights and Obama has no authority to take that away from any of us. No one can make unconstitutional rules at will and that is what has been done here. We are a country ruled by the people, not a damn dictatorship. Either we all have rights or none of us has rights. I hate terrorists and wish we could arrest, try and put them to death if they are guilty, but there is a process. Government is breaking the constitution by skipping all that and just imposing a death penalty.

I would not trust anyone, in any party, with this. I especially don't trust Obama after hearing him call those who want borders secure the enemy. And the DHS list of potential terrorists included ex-military and other conservative qualities, like believing in the constitution. I can just imagine who is going to get executed, and on his word. No fucking way should this be allowed.

Meanwhile, no trial for the Fort Hood shooter although he couldn't be more guilty. Too bad Obama doesn't drop a predator on him we KNOW he is guilty. But that wouldn't be right.

Meanwhile where is KSM???? Bought a whole prison for him, which we never used. As you say, the left sure was up in arms about indefinite detention not too long ago.

This has been quite a day for conservatives defending terrorists.

:clap2: yes
Left Wing MSNBC Publishes DOJ White Paper On Targeted Drone Killings

That said...is the right and others arguing that terrorism should be dealt as a law enforcement problem and not militarily?

EXCLUSIVE: Justice Department memo reveals legal case for drone strikes on Americans

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/sections/news/020413_DOJ_White_Paper.pdf

The leftists in America have attacked President Obama's policy here and the right wingers have joined them, without mentioning it is the left and teh ACLU who are attacking and challenging the Obama admin the most over this.

We have a Columbia Law Professor debating an ACLU Lawyer over what it all means: Video and transcript

The Justice Department?s White Paper on Targeted Killing

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/06/us/politics/obama-slow-to-reveal-secrets-on-targeted-killings.html

That said...is the right and others arguing that terrorism should be dealt as a law enforcement problem and not militarily?

------------------

So what is it that has the right, anarchists, libertarian kook types and others wetting their pants? You'd have to see or read a transcript of an actual civil and sane debate over what little has been revealed: Justice Department Justifies Killing Americans Abroad With Links to al-Qaida | PBS NewsHour | Feb. 5, 2013 | PBS

GWEN IFILL: Matthew Waxman, are these standards that you see laid out in this white paper open to manipulation?

MATTHEW WAXMAN, Columbia Law School: Well, I had a different reaction than Ms. Shamsi did to this document.

As I read it, I see it as careful and narrow. I still have some questions about it. It's a summary document and there are parts of it that leave some gaps in my mind as to how the reasoning unfolded. But I think this is a serious effort to articulate limits to the president's power to engage in targeted killing and a reasonable effort to translate constitutional and international law to deal with this new kind of war.

GWEN IFILL: Well, let me ask you this, Professor Waxman. If this only applies to Americans on foreign soil, why wouldn't this reasoning apply to Americans on U.S. soil at home?

MATTHEW WAXMAN: Well, what one of the things that the lawyers -- the drafters of this memo do is try to explain that this is an analysis of a limited set of facts, a set of facts that were probably provided by senior officials to deal with situations that confront them in the real world.

And I think one of the important points that the article makes -- I'm sorry -- that the memo makes is that we are engaged in an ongoing war, an ongoing armed conflict with al-Qaida, and this is a conflict that is not contained to traditional battlefields abroad, places like Afghanistan.

That's a position, by the way, that now two presidents of both parties, Congress and the courts have all essentially embraced.

GWEN IFILL: Let me ask Hina Shamsi about that.

If this indeed is a brave new day and that there ought to be more latitude given to governments to protect themselves, how do you argue against them taking that latitude and running with it?

HINA SHAMSI: Well, first of all, I think it's an overstatement to say that these are standards that are narrow and restricted. They're not if you read the memo.

The ACLU Lawyer is like many posters here @ USMB...she says "if you read the memo." ignoring the fact that the Columbia Law Professor has read the memo and is actually debating what he read, not what she insists it says.

Enforcement of domestic law supercedes military efnorcement, unless martial law is imposed.

Terrorism, currently an external threat, is accordingly dealt with by the military.

Should terrorism become internal... well, the shit shall hit the fan.

Enforcement of domestic law supercedes military efnorcement, unless martial law is imposed.

Terrorism, currently an external threat, is accordingly dealt with by the military.

If Osama Bin laden were an American citizen...

If Osama Bin laden were an American citizen...

Obama dispatched due justice regardless. As much as I despise that Afro-Kenyan-Quasi American...

Forum List

Back