Meryl Streep Was Dead Wrong About MMA

I have no idea why Meryl Streep would want to pick a fight (pun intended) with the MMA crowd last night.

“And if we kick ’em all out,” she said of all of the international stars, “You’ll have nothing to watch but football and mixed martial arts, which are not the arts.” The idea is, without all of the diversity present in Hollywood and at the Globes, we’d all be left with Trump and his supporters watching football and mixed martial arts, apparently the hobbies of the modern-day neanderthal.

Meryl Streep Was Dead Wrong About MMA In Her Golden Globes Speech

Clearly, Streep has never watched a UFC fight or set foot in an MMA gym. It's probably the most ethnically diverse place I've ever been. We have white guys, black guys, Asian guys, middle eastern guys, and women who train at my gym. Some were actually born in Brazil, Africa, Asia, and eastern Europe.

Streep's remarks further illustrate the isolated Hollywood bubble these people live in and precisely why their elitist disdain for middle America cost them the election.
She's right...it's not art...it's sport.

It's not YOUR definition of art. How narrow minded of you.

Seriously?

Mixed Martial Arts

pogo is a special kind of stupid.

Hey, if you're gonna drop jargon in a thread you owe it to the reader to essplain wtf you're talking about.

The average person KNOWS what MMA means. If you don't it's because you are living under a rock, or are deficient in some way.

Oh I doubt that. The OP never explained wtf he was referring to (until I asked). And I wasn't the only one who asked. No I never heard of it.
Sorry Pogo I don't even watch it and I know what it is...

You have to live under a rock not to at least have heard of Holly Holmes and Rhonda Rousey.
He claims he doesn't have a tv.

Seriously?

Mixed Martial Arts

pogo is a special kind of stupid.

Hey, if you're gonna drop jargon in a thread you owe it to the reader to essplain wtf you're talking about.

The average person KNOWS what MMA means. If you don't it's because you are living under a rock, or are deficient in some way.

Oh I doubt that. The OP never explained wtf he was referring to (until I asked). And I wasn't the only one who asked. No I never heard of it.
Sorry Pogo I don't even watch it and I know what it is...

You have to live under a rock not to have at least have heard of Holly Holmes and Rhonda Rousey.

444 Stoney lane, Rockville SC. Just so you know where to mail my Christmas card. :D

I have no idea why Meryl Streep would want to pick a fight (pun intended) with the MMA crowd last night.

“And if we kick ’em all out,” she said of all of the international stars, “You’ll have nothing to watch but football and mixed martial arts, which are not the arts.” The idea is, without all of the diversity present in Hollywood and at the Globes, we’d all be left with Trump and his supporters watching football and mixed martial arts, apparently the hobbies of the modern-day neanderthal.

Clearly, Streep has never watched a UFC fight or set foot in an MMA gym. It's probably the most ethnically diverse place I've ever been. We have white guys, black guys, Asian guys, middle eastern guys, and women who train at my gym. Some were actually born in Brazil, Africa, Asia, and eastern Europe.

Streep's remarks further illustrate the isolated Hollywood bubble these people live in and precisely why their elitist disdain for middle America cost them the election.

The "A" in "MMA" is literally "arts"! Christ these people are fucking stupid. :laugh:

Hey, what do you mean relegated? I love tractor pulls!

My favorite line from her was “Disrespect invites disrespect." She said, with a straight face all the while basically calling everyone in middle America racist idiots who need some culture lessons from her and those like her.
I like tractor pulls, too, and sheepdog trials. But don't be too hard on her--I really don't think she was meaning to diss sports or middle America. It would kinda suck to only have sports, not both, don't you agree?

The fact that she may have not even been "trying" to diss sports or middle America basically proves the point that people on the right are making. That progressives are out of touch with most of the country.
So most of the country doesn't watch movies? Who knew?

There is a difference between watching movies and actors thinking that somehow this gives them the right to tell the rest of us how to live our lives.
Ever heard of the First Amendment, Marty? You don't seem to have any problem telling me how to live. Or trying to.

You mean how the progressives are always trying to tell us how to live?

The irony is if you watch some of these big UFC fights, like the McGregor v Diaz match, for example, the front rows were filled with Hollywood celebrities because they are about the ones who could afford those tickets.
That and a lot of the fighters are of mixed race. Is she trying to deny those of color a living in the MMA?

You've hit on the perfect description....and yes it's obvious the dbod didn't listen to the speech

I've posted a graphic of the most salient points as well as the YouTube video. WTF have you two fat-asses done except bitch about something you don't even understand?
You see Sassy, It wasn't that she was talking down to you like you're an idiot it's just that you're too fucking dumb to understand what she was really trying to say about people (you) she thinks are dumb.

Absolutely correct.
So what the hell are you here arguing about then? You said she didn't mean it that way just to come full circle and verify that's exactly what she meant.

It's absolutely correct that Pumpkin-Catfish is too stupid to understand. And you, too.
her career is built upon being fake.
What did you expect?

"her career is built upon being fake."
So is Trump's. But at least she's been in the spotlight for 40 years without insulting anybody.
You must mean except those times she opens her mouth to insult people like last night. Sure she didn't come right out and call people asshole Trump voters but that is exactly what she meant.

Her comments were directed at Trump, not the people who voted for him. You didn't listen to the whole 5 minutes either. SO STFU
Geezus you're a big Streep fan eh?

I'm a big fan of hers and about 300,000 others who are ripping Trump a new asshole on FB and Twitter and other Trump Resistance sites that are popping up all over the internet.

I hope a celebrity takes the mic every single day and outs Trump.

Trump Resistance? You should probably ask hilary and the democrat party how their resistance worked out......

The irony is if you watch some of these big UFC fights, like the McGregor v Diaz match, for example, the front rows were filled with Hollywood celebrities because they are about the ones who could afford those tickets.
That and a lot of the fighters are of mixed race. Is she trying to deny those of color a living in the MMA?

No...she just thinks they should be cleaning her mansions, her pools, and landscaping her grounds........

These fighters like Sage Northcutt are so talented. They train their whole lives to be the best in the world. To say something stupid like they're not talented is like saying, ‘She’s not a talented actress,’ ...oh wait, she ain't!

I like tractor pulls, too, and sheepdog trials. But don't be too hard on her--I really don't think she was meaning to diss sports or middle America. It would kinda suck to only have sports, not both, don't you agree?

The fact that she may have not even been "trying" to diss sports or middle America basically proves the point that people on the right are making. That progressives are out of touch with most of the country.
So most of the country doesn't watch movies? Who knew?

There is a difference between watching movies and actors thinking that somehow this gives them the right to tell the rest of us how to live our lives.
Ever heard of the First Amendment, Marty? You don't seem to have any problem telling me how to live. Or trying to.

You mean how the progressives are always trying to tell us how to live?
No, I mean exactly what I said.

These fighters like Sage Northcutt are so talented. They train their whole lives to be the best in the world. To say something stupid like that is like saying, ‘She’s not a talented actress,’ and Meryl is not a talented actress!
i LOVE Sage! What a talent that kid is. Once he gets better at BJJ, hes going to be a beast!

Jesus, I'm dreaming for the day you guys have something REAL and SUBSTANTIAL to have the vapors about. Honestly.

It's sport, not art. Just like baseball is sport, not art.

These fighters like Sage Northcutt are so talented. They train their whole lives to be the best in the world. To say something stupid like that is like saying, ‘She’s not a talented actress,’ and Meryl is not a talented actress!
i LOVE Sage! What a talent that kid is. Once he gets better at BJJ, hes going to be a beast!

best talent in the UFC...best body in the UFC ever!

FotorCreated1234.jpg

It's sport, not art. Just like baseball is sport, not art.
Ok, so martial arts have been around for thousands of years, but you are here to tell us in 2017 that they arent arts? Is this the dumb fuck position you are taking?

best talent in the UFC...best body in the UFC ever!

FotorCreated1234.jpg
Hes also a ninja that can defy gravity...

Forum List

Back