Michigan police reform bill to requires ‘jiu jitsu’ blue belt for all officers

It would be great if they could do it, I just don't think any city is going to be willing to invest the time or the money.

And it would save lives, that's why the smarter cops go out and get this training on their own, even if they have to pay for it out of their own pockets.

Think of dealing with a high as a kite giant like George Floyd using only judo.
IN THEORY a smaller person and take down a larger person. IN THEORY!

An amazingly bone headed idea that will result in more cops dead in Michigan.

If you know Judo and can use it to take down bigger opponents great.
I'm saying making a martial art a key component of policing is looking for trouble.
I am sure that is in addition to carrying a gun. Today's marines have to take MAPS courses and likely end up with a blue belt. Not sure on what belt level they aquire. My eldest son was a MAPS instructor at 29 pines California for 14 years he would know. A blue belt out of the Gracie school would be pretty bad ass. Look into Gracie fights back in the mid to late 90s he flat whipped much larger opponents..

So the defund the police wants cops to go hand to hand combat now?
sounds reasonable,, it gives them an edge
Sounds reasonable until you add up the number of hours on the mat it takes to reach that level, then multiply that times the number of patrol officers that aren't on patrol while they're in the Jiu jitsu class, but are still on the clock getting paid.

It's going to get really expensive, really fast.
better than having dead cops or them in jail,,,

It would be great if they could do it, I just don't think any city is going to be willing to invest the time or the money.

And it would save lives, that's why the smarter cops go out and get this training on their own, even if they have to pay for it out of their own pockets.
they already invest in hand to hand combat training,, this just takes it to the next level,,

thats not all you said,,,

my agenda is having well trained cops so they dont get killed or put in jail when some leftist DA comes after them,,,
A worthy goal. But the Michigan proposal is unrealistic as stated.
It's simply unworkable.
just another piss poor excuse for something that will only end up protecting cops lives,,,

I am sure that is in addition to carrying a gun. Today's marines have to take MAPS courses and likely end up with a blue belt. Not sure on what belt level they aquire. My eldest son was a MAPS instructor at 29 pines California for 14 years he would know. A blue belt out of the Gracie school would be pretty bad ass. Look into Gracie fights back in the mid to late 90s he flat whipped much larger opponents..
The Brazilian form of judo...right?

It would be so much better if cities invested in their cops by covering a percentage of judo training
for them. It's win-win.

The Brazilian form of judo...right?
Ya, it is much more difficult to raise in belt level at the Gracie schools. My son got to black belt in Irving school pretty rapidly. Took a long time for him to get there in Gracie school. Both those checks I used to write sure put a whole in my wallet. Add into that a daughter in competition gymnastics and ballet was not much entertainment money left for dad. Lol

This is good and half the police stations will now become therapy centers with know better do gooders ready to head out into the streets and artfully dissuade criminals from engaging in criminality
Lib 101

Ya, it is much more difficult to raise in belt level at the Gracie schools. My son got to black belt in Irving school pretty rapidly. Took a long time for him to get there in Gracie school. Both those checks I used to write sure put a whole in my wallet. Add into that a daughter in competition gymnastics and ballet was not much entertainment money left for dad. Lol
You're a good dad, albeit a poorer one.

they already invest in hand to hand combat training,, this just takes it to the next level,,
I don't think any city government is going to give a shit enough to spend the money.

It's pretty clear they don't care if their cops live or die, and they sure as hell don't care about the rest of us, either.

It would be great if cops were all well trained, but that's been an issue for as long as we've had cops.

I don't think any city government is going to give a shit enough to spend the money.

It's pretty clear they don't care if their cops live or die, and they sure as hell don't care about the rest of us, either.

It would be great if cops were all well trained, but that's been an issue for as long as we've had cops.
we have a choice,, say fuck it and leave it as it is or do something about it,,

so many are just saying fuck it,, I'm not one of them,,,

Sounds reasonable until you add up the number of hours on the mat it takes to reach that level, then multiply that times the number of patrol officers that aren't on patrol while they're in the Jiu jitsu class, but are still on the clock getting paid.

We really need to encourage more kids to get into wrestling from an early age. Grappling is not something you’re really going to master too high degree if you’re starting out as an adult. Everything you learn is valuable of course, but if we encourage more kids to wrestle instead of playing soccer or swimming or some such horseshit like that maybe candidates for physical jobs like police officer would show up with a little bit of experience under their belt already.

we have a choice,, say fuck it and leave it as it is or do something about it,,

so many are just saying fuck it,, I'm not one of them,,,
:dunno:

We really need to encourage more kids to get into wrestling from an early age. Grappling is not something you’re really going to master too high degree if you’re starting out as an adult. Everything you learn is valuable of course, but if we encourage more kids to wrestle instead of playing soccer or swimming or some such horseshit like that maybe candidates for physical jobs like police officer would show up with a little bit of experience under their belt already.
Agreed.
But one thing I read on a cop's blog, was that departments didn't like hiring muscled up, tatted up, military vets or meathead looking guys who do MMA as a hobby because they're afraid of what that looks like in a court case over excessive force claims.
And no one who has ever been in any real legal trouble is getting hired in LE either, so a lot of the cops going through the academy are experiencing getting punched in the face for the very first time there, in training.

And that's not a recipe for success.

Its a significant edge actually. People would be surprised by how easily a blue belt can dominate a regular person on the street. It isnt like Karate, if you have a blue belt, you have too much basic grappling knowledge for most people to contend with.

Last edited:

Sure. Using Karate in a Gun fight?
It works for Jackie Chan.

This is truly a bonehead idea.
why??
whats wrong with well trained cops??
it would have stopped the jacob blake and the drive thru incident where the cops got their ass's kicked,,
Glad that punk got shot.

Sure. Using Karate in a Gun fight?
It works for Jackie Chan.

This is truly a bonehead idea.
why??
whats wrong with well trained cops??
it would have stopped the jacob blake and the drive thru incident where the cops got their ass's kicked,,
Glad that punk got shot.
I'm happy for you,,,

You're a good dad, albeit a poorer one.
Ya, that stuff was not cheap but going to the competitions was fun for me. I have to admit I was a little relieved when my two youngest were more interested in music. Less money out of pocket for me long term. Ate it in the original instrument purchase but in the long music was much cheaper. Was not long till the youngest were self supportive of their hobbies getting gigs. Scholarships in music were also easily obtained compared to sports. Both the youngest went to college pretty much on own dime.

Forum List

Back