Michigan police reform bill to requires ‘jiu jitsu’ blue belt for all officers

I am sure that is in addition to carrying a gun. Today's marines have to take MAPS courses and likely end up with a blue belt. Not sure on what belt level they aquire. My eldest son was a MAPS instructor at 29 pines California for 14 years he would know. A blue belt out of the Gracie school would be pretty bad ass. Look into Gracie fights back in the mid to late 90s he flat whipped much larger opponents..
The Brazilian form of judo...right?
Ya, it is much more difficult to raise in belt level at the Gracie schools. My son got to black belt in Irving school pretty rapidly. Took a long time for him to get there in Gracie school. Both those checks I used to write sure put a whole in my wallet. Add into that a daughter in competition gymnastics and ballet was not much entertainment money left for dad. Lol
Your son has a Gracie black belt? Under which Gracie?

So the defund the police wants cops to go hand to hand combat now?

Sure. Using Karate in a Gun fight?
It works for Jackie Chan.

This is truly a bonehead idea.
why??
whats wrong with well trained cops??
it would have stopped the jacob blake and the drive thru incident where the cops got their ass's kicked,,
Glad that punk got shot.
I'm happy for you,,,
Good. That SHOULD be the Law. If they resist or flee ,SHOOT 'em.

Sure. Using Karate in a Gun fight?
It works for Jackie Chan.

This is truly a bonehead idea.
why??
whats wrong with well trained cops??
it would have stopped the jacob blake and the drive thru incident where the cops got their ass's kicked,,
Glad that punk got shot.
I'm happy for you,,,
Good. That SHOULD be the Law. If they resist or flee ,SHOOT 'em.
thats what they do in fascist countries,, here we have due process,,

.... a lot of the cops going through the academy are experiencing getting punched in the face for the very first time there, in training.

And that's not a recipe for success.
I've heard similar things about young men entering the military. What the hell happened? How do you get to, say 18, without ever having been in a fight?

I am sure that is in addition to carrying a gun. Today's marines have to take MAPS courses and likely end up with a blue belt. Not sure on what belt level they aquire. My eldest son was a MAPS instructor at 29 pines California for 14 years he would know. A blue belt out of the Gracie school would be pretty bad ass. Look into Gracie fights back in the mid to late 90s he flat whipped much larger opponents..
Ya, it is much more difficult to raise in belt level at the Gracie schools. My son got to black belt in Irving school pretty rapidly. Took a long time for him to get there in Gracie school. Both those checks I used to write sure put a whole in my wallet. Add into that a daughter in competition gymnastics and ballet was not much entertainment money left for dad. Lol
Relson is the guy for our area. GUY With last name Geisler was the guy that taught class from day to day. My son also did Roman Greco-Roman wrestling with Mark Coleman. I did not have to pay for that he was our neighbor for a good many years.

Relson is the guy for our area. GUY With last name Geisler was the guy that taught class from day to day. My son also did Roman Greco-Roman wrestling with Mark Coleman. I did not have to pay for that he was our neighbor for a good many years.
Relson!? Sheesh, theres a name! Relson isnt handing out black belts to anyone who doesnt deserve it. None of the Gracies would. You can still find Relson wrecking young grapplers on youtube. He doesnt have strength and speed anymore, but he has perfect technique. He makes it look effortless.

Coleman would be an outstanding Greco coach!

Next chapter: Cop jujitsus a Black man and the liberals will say it was unfair.

That female officer in SF sure could have used some more training.

Relson!? Sheesh, theres a name! Relson isnt handing out black belts to anyone who doesnt deserve it. None of the Gracies would. You can still find Relson wrecking young grapplers on youtube. He doesnt have strength and speed anymore, but he has perfect technique. He makes it look effortless.

Coleman is who lit the fire for my son. Having him as a neighbor got him interested. Fighting sports were not my thing I was into hunting, fishing, golf, baseball and basketball. Zane did not take to sports including balls. He did do alot of hunting and fishing with me though.

sounds reasonable,, it gives them an edge
Uhm we have female cops now they can't use it on a string out person on drugs
maybe,, but we do have cases where two full grown men cant take down a single person,,

and a women would benefit greatly from the training,, it teaches a smaller person how to overpower a larger one,,

I see it as a good thing and another tool in the toolbox of law enforcement,,
Just pull out the gun and shoot to kill

Too much paperwork.

.... a lot of the cops going through the academy are experiencing getting punched in the face for the very first time there, in training.

And that's not a recipe for success.
I've heard similar things about young men entering the military. What the hell happened? How do you get to, say 18, without ever having been in a fight?
Beats the hell out of me, but that's what I'm hearing.
They have no physical confidence and end up going to guns too soon.
They can't realistically gauge how much danger they're in, so they either get their asses handed to them, or they panic and kill someone.

On the street therapists is a good idea. Deaths of criminals will go down. Deaths of therapists won’t .

Coleman is who lit the fire for my son. Having him as a neighbor got him interested. Fighting sports were not my thing I was into hunting, fishing, golf, baseball and basketball. Zane did not take to sports including balls. He did do alot of hunting and fishing with me though.
Coleman was a beast in his Pride days!

I'm certainly not against this idea; it would be great, but you simply can't attain any skill without time on the mat. And being a cop is a job, you have to pay these people for their time, both in the academy and later, and time on the mat rolling, is not time on the street patrolling.

I just don't think any city is going to spend the money.

There's no better base than freestyle wrestling.

And being big and strong as fuck helps too, lol.

Greco Roman is pretty good too when youre fighting in a cage. The majority of take downs in MMA are from sweeps (with double under hooks) against the cage, as opposed to blast double's or single's in the middle of the octagon.

Regardless, wrestling is definitely the best base for MMA. Most UFC Champions (current AND former) are wrestlers. They have the best cardio and the most heart, and as Rogan has repeated a million times "they dictate where the fight takes place".

Last edited:

Greco Roman is pretty good too when youre fighting in a cage. The majority of take downs in MMA are from sweeps (with double under hooks) against the cage, as opposed to blast double's or single's in the middle of the octagon.

Regardless, wrestling is definitely the best base for MMA. Most UFC Champions (current AND former) are wrestlers. They have the best cardio and the most heart, and as Rogan has repeated a million times "they dictate where the fight takes place".
I came from a striking base and got into grappling later, but even today, my go to move when someone would get crazy and violent at the hospital was to put them on the floor and restrain them. Safer for everyone, and if I was to hit them, we'd just get sued.
I use a lot of Judo techniques, but does it matter? :dunno:

Any grappling style will work just fine.

Forum List

Back