Michigan vs. Sweden: Two COVID-19 Approaches, Very Different Results

Seems like a good model. Why didn’t Trump follow that model? Those at risk be careful, those not at risk. Live your lives.

Those numbers actually put Sweden at a higher per-capita death rate than the US. :dunno:

Not particularly smart then was it?

• Sweden took the unusual step of not implementing a lockdown to halt the spread of the coronavirus.
  • The country urged people to practice social distancing but left places like shops and restaurants open, breaking the model followed by countries across Europe and the world.
  • Sweden has 477 1,033 deaths from the virus so far, but Prime Minister Stefan Löfven is now saying thousands will die from COVID-19 and that the country's parliament may bring in more restrictive measures.
  • Some experts have questioned the country's strategy, but Löfven appeared to reject criticism of it. Sweden's chief epidemiologist said the best strategy was simply asking people to stay apart.

Let's compare the results of Michigan's and Sweden's COVID-19 measures. Michigan and Sweden's populations are almost identical in size. Michigan has been using extreme measures for over a month. Sweden has been using very moderate measures, allowing the nation's businesses and most schools to remain open. How do their COVID-19 numbers compare? As of this afternoon, Michigan has had 25,635 cases and 1,602 deaths, while Sweden has had 10,948 cases and 919 deaths.
This thread didn't age well: Sweden: 22 Scientists Say Coronavirus Strategy Has Failed As Deaths Top 1,000

Let's compare the results of Michigan's and Sweden's COVID-19 measures. Michigan and Sweden's populations are almost identical in size. Michigan has been using extreme measures for over a month. Sweden has been using very moderate measures, allowing the nation's businesses and most schools to remain open. How do their COVID-19 numbers compare? As of this afternoon, Michigan has had 25,635 cases and 1,602 deaths, while Sweden has had 10,948 cases and 919 deaths.

img_1313-whats-your-point-nana-meme-S.jpg

Why compare Sweden to Michigan? They have little to nothing to do with each other. I don't even think comparing Sweden to much of Western Europe really demonstrates anything.

If you want to compare Sweden to other countries then try her direct neighbors such as other Scandinavian countries like Denmark, Norway and Finland where you will find the death per capita in Sweden to be at least twice as high as those other countries.

But cases in Norway are higher on an population adjusted basis.

So what does that tell you ?

Why compare Sweden to Michigan? They have little to nothing to do with each other. I don't even think comparing Sweden to much of Western Europe really demonstrates anything.

If you want to compare Sweden to other countries then try her direct neighbors such as other Scandinavian countries like Denmark, Norway and Finland where you will find the death per capita in Sweden to be at least twice as high as those other countries.

That Norway isn't Sweden? And Sweden has 102 deaths per million and Norway only has 26. Sweden also isn't testing nearly as much as Norway but the fact that Sweden's number of deaths is 4 times higher tells me it's that Sweden's testing is lackluster. For example Norway has tested over 23k per million people while Sweden has tested only 5,400 per million.

I'm sure this is falling on deaf ears, long story short, Sweden is doing worse than it's neighbors.

Last edited:

That Norway isn't Sweden?

Might be....in terms of how well they care for their patients.

But Sweden is obviously not Norway in terms of infections.

Sorry, I was editing my post when you replied, here it is in its entirety:

That Norway isn't Sweden? And Sweden has 102 deaths per million and Norway only has 26. Sweden also isn't testing nearly as much as Norway but the fact that Sweden's number of deaths is 4 times higher tells me it's that Sweden's testing is lackluster. For example Norway has tested over 23k per million people while Sweden has tested only 5,400 per million.

I'm sure this is falling on deaf ears, long story short, Sweden is doing worse than it's neighbors.

Makes sense to me.

Sweden has been pretty lax.

However, it seem they are o.k. with things.

Makes sense to me.

Not if you're dead and there's a lot of controversy within Sweden as to whether they are going about this the right way.

Also Denmark is looking at reopening it's economy while Sweden's numbers get worse and worse.

Makes sense to me.

Not if you're dead and there's a lot of controversy within Sweden as to whether they are going about this the right way.

Not from what I read.

Seems some of the "experts" are pushing for extreme measures...but people are not as dialed in.

This was also interesting....

"Partly that we are on different places on the exposition curve, partly that we in Sweden, unfortunately, have had a large spread of contagion in elderly homes, something you have not seen in the other Nordic countries. And this we, of course, continue to analyse, why Swedish elderly homes have been exposed so much compared to other countries. But if we compare Sweden with Belgium, the US and a number of other countries our death rates are rather low."

Makes sense to me.

Not from what I read.

Seems some of the "experts" are pushing for extreme measures...but people are not as dialed in.

"Partly that we are on different places on the exposition curve, partly that we in Sweden, unfortunately, have had a large spread of contagion in elderly homes, something you have not seen in the other Nordic countries. And this we, of course, continue to analyse, why Swedish elderly homes have been exposed so much compared to other countries. But if we compare Sweden with Belgium, the US and a number of other countries our death rates are rather low."

Emphasis on experts.

Its neighbors are going to be back in business and Sweden is going to go off a cliff if their trajectory doesn't change soon.

Makes sense to me.

Not from what I read.

Emphasis on experts.

A word that is in quotes for a reason.

Makes sense to me.

Not from what I read.

Emphasis on experts.

That you don't believe in fact based opinions is not my concern.

Makes sense to me.

Not from what I read.

Emphasis on experts.

I would hope it isn't.

Apparently Swedes don't find it very interesting either.

Point being that everyone gets to make their choices and they get to live with them.

So far our experts have been just fucking perfect (100% wrong).

Makes sense to me.

Not from what I read.

Emphasis on experts.

I would hope it isn't.

Point being that everyone gets to make their choices and they get to live with them.

They haven't been 100% wrong. Has social distancing worked? Absolutely. The most populous state in the country is a testament to that and considering they outnumber the next state by 10 million people I suspect our national numbers look much better thanks to their early first in the nation actions.

If I'm not mistaken, Sweden also took over the payrolls for businesses in their nation. Like if you worked at a Burger King in Stockholm, you'd be getting paid by the Swedish government; not the owner of the BK. We probably should have done that here given the ridiculous patchwork of government programs we have here that had tons of pork input into the bills

If I'm not mistaken, Sweden also took over the payrolls for businesses in their nation. Like if you worked at a Burger King in Stockholm, you'd be getting paid by the Swedish government; not the owner of the BK. We probably should have done that here given the ridiculous patchwork of government programs we have here that had tons of pork input into the bills

I agree. Bailout the middle class for a change, $1,200 bucks, in some cases delayed because of some dumb asshole's signature isn't going to do much for anyone.

Makes sense to me.

Not from what I read.

Emphasis on experts.

I would hope it isn't.

They haven't been 100% wrong. Has social distancing worked? Absolutely. The most populous state in the country is a testament to that and considering they outnumber the next state by 10 million people I suspect our national numbers look much better thanks to their early first in the nation actions.

Not everyone has social distanced though.

Washington County Utah....

South Dakota

Phoenix AZ

And none of them are overwhelming their hospitals.

Forum List

Back