Min wage and the middle class

AmyNation

Road Warrior
Aug 6, 2012
Currently stationed at the kitchen table
Last night the president called for a nearly $2 raise to the min. wage, citing it as important to "a rising thriving middle class".

How does a min. wage increase positively effect the middle class?Someone making min wage is not "middle class", in fact many small businesses owners are middle class, and I dont see how forcing them to increase pay to their employees, on top of the new healthcare mandates is a positive thing for them. What are the odds that he gets something like that passed? ( remember he promised to raise min wage to $9.50 by 2011 in his 08 campaign).

I'm not sure if it was just more rhetoric last night or if the president is looking to push this issue.

Last edited:
Last night the president called for a nearly $2 raise to the min. wage, citing it as important to "a rising thriving middle class".

How does min. wage increases positively effect the middle class?Someone making min wage is not "middle class", in face many small businesses owners are middle class, and I dont see how forcing them to increase pay to their employees, on top of the new healthcare mandates is a positive thing for them. What are the odds that he gets something like that passed? ( remember he promised to raise min wage to $9.50 by 2011 in his 08 campaign).

I'm not sure if it was just more rhetoric last night or if the president is looking to push this issue.

If a person relies on minimum wage to support a family, first they are not middle class, and second they made some poor life decsions earlier on.

Small business are going to have a rough couple of years coming up, whether you're for or against the ACA, I think everyone can agree its going to take some time and adjustment. I don't see how adding a nearly $2 increase per employee is helpful at this time.

How does min. wage increases positively effect the middle class?Someone making min wage is not "middle class", in fact many small businesses owners are middle class, and I dont see how forcing them to increase pay to their employees, on top of the new healthcare mandates is a positive thing for them. What are the odds that he gets something like that passed? ( remember he promised to raise min wage to $9.50 by 2011 in his 08 campaign).

its just his usual populism and the fact that hes out of (and I never thought he had a clue) ideas to energize the econ. so we create jobs at a clip that will really bite.

Shovel ready wasn't so shovel ready so I guess its the shelf stockers turn....:lol:

If raising the minimum wage were the answer hell, lets frock every burger flipper in america with $20 an hour...problem solved;)

I suppose I can understand the desire to raise min wage during economic growth, but in the midst of a downturn? And on top of serious changes to healthcare? That just seems like piling on and arrogantly assuming everyone else can handle it.

Minimum wage earners are a Democratic demographic.

This was pandering of the first order for the 2014 mid-term elections. So we will be hearing a lot more about raising the minimum wage.

How does min. wage increases positively effect the middle class?Someone making min wage is not "middle class", in fact many small businesses owners are middle class, and I dont see how forcing them to increase pay to their employees, on top of the new healthcare mandates is a positive thing for them. What are the odds that he gets something like that passed? ( remember he promised to raise min wage to $9.50 by 2011 in his 08 campaign).

Minimum wage is in place because employers are short sighted.

It's as simple as that.

They have no problem taking as much profit out of their businesses for themselves as is feasible.

But they make no provisions whatsoever for the people working for them.

In the long run? That's a recipe for disaster.

I suppose I can understand the desire to raise min wage during economic growth, but in the midst of a downturn? And on top of serious changes to healthcare? That just seems like piling on and arrogantly assuming everyone else can handle it.

There's economic growth at the top end.

It's not "trickling down".

Clearly, more government intervention is needed.

The new American answer to every problem, "What is the government going to do about this?"

It's as simple as that.

They have no problem taking as much profit out of their businesses for themselves as is feasible.

Sure, if you have an unrealistic Marxist point of view. However, here in the real world, employees who aren't treated well or compensated their worth will go somewhere else where they are, and employers who lose those employees are forced to adjust to retain them.

Minimum wage earners are a Democratic demographic.

This was pandering of the first order for the 2014 mid-term elections. So we will be hearing a lot more about raising the minimum wage.

Pretty much.

Had to throw them a bone, as much of his speech was rather concillatory to the GOP.

He wants min wage to BE the new middle class.

I'm sure there are large corporations who have made big profits and could stand to pay their employees more. I'm referring to the middle class, small business owners who are getting ready for the ACA and trying to navigate that, are unsure of what their taxes will look like next year and are now wondering if they will be forced to increase their employees pay.

If you wanted to ensure small business don't hire or expand, you would do exactly what congress and the president have done.

While the 4% or so of Americans that actually earn minimum wage may think their incomes would be lower without the government imposed price control, the uncountable thousands of people that are effectively removed from the labor market might disagree.

A young person looking to build a resume with his first job, the elderly person hoping to engage in the workplace, or the unskilled and unintelligent worker that would take any work he could get are blocked from employment. Add to that the government imposed requirements on businesses for healthcare insurance and other regulations and you can see why the poor, uneducated masses have little choice but to go on the dole (or work illegally) and why the unemployment rate among our youth has skyrocketed.

Wonderful job there central planners, wonderful....:doubt:

I say preventing a person from working is immoral. What a person is willing to work for and what an employer is willing to pay is consensual activity in which government should have no involvement.

It's as simple as that.

I am sorry, how many are on your payroll again?:eusa_eh:

Clearly, more government intervention is needed.

The new American answer to every problem, "What is the government going to do about this?"

that was what the State of the union was wasn't it?

pay taxes ( and raise them, again), the gov. washes the $$ then spends it ( plus borrows 40 cents on the dollar too). I missed that part of the speech I guess.

no-points-smiley.gif

Its the usual an appeal to and for the life of julia ( soon to be julio) which is the 2014 play book.....(like the 2012 playbook)....

oh heres one- the gov. will set up "manufacturing hubs" where, get this, the Government, President "not as shovel ready as we thought" will give Businesses advice....get that one?
break.gif

advice? oh hey how about advice like don't hire that 50th employee:eusa_hand:OR keep'em at part time?( obamacare and all;))

yea,:eusa_think: raise the minimum wage, then, cut their hours!!!
love%20to%20be%20crazy.gif

If we lived in a world where everybody worked to implement good ideas, things like an increase in min wage could do some good to stimulate the economy.

But it won't happen. For it TO happen, the CEO's would have to answer for a increase in labor costs affecting profits. And the companies could and would increase the cost of the goods or services and that would not help either.

For the sake of stock holders and upper management, this idea will never pass. There is nothing wrong with a declining standard of living for many Americans. They still live in America.

How does a min. wage increase positively effect the middle class?Someone making min wage is not "middle class", in fact many small businesses owners are middle class, and I dont see how forcing them to increase pay to their employees, on top of the new healthcare mandates is a positive thing for them. What are the odds that he gets something like that passed? ( remember he promised to raise min wage to $9.50 by 2011 in his 08 campaign).

10's of 1000's of the largest conservative employer in the country are forced to apply for medicare.food stamps because they aren't paid enough. Maybe thats why?
PolitiFact | Alan Grayson says more Walmart employees on Medicaid, food stamps than other companies
In Ohio, the state Department of Job and Family Services report found Wal-Mart to be the state’s top employer for workers and family members who receive Medicaid (16,098), food stamps (14,799) and cash assistance (803), according to January 2012 numbers.

It's as simple as that.

Let's try a little experiment comrade. March into your owner's office after lunch today and demand more of the profit the company he built makes. Let us know how that turns out.

Forum List

Back