Minimum wage argument

dblack

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
I've noticed these minimum wage debates follow a common pattern. We have the "left" and the "right", arguing passionately over whether some class of people "deserve" some special benefit or penalty. Along with the occasional libertarian offering: it's not up to government to decide. We can make such calls as a society without dictating conformity via the law.

The whole thing about the min wage debate that bothers me is how in the hell can you work somewhere for any length of time and not improve your position?
I mean really,you do it everyday how can you not get better at it?
You would have to try to be that stupid!
Work hard and ask questions and you wont be at the bottom for long.

The whole thing about the min wage debate that bothers me is how in the hell can you work somewhere for any length of time and not improve your position?

Boo on your logical responses! That should be handed to them! Who cares if will have a negative impact on the economy? Who cares if the majority are high schoolers and part-timers?

Boo on your logical responses! That should be handed to them! Who cares if will have a negative impact on the economy? Who cares if the majority are high schoolers and part-timers?

Liberals can't seem to get through their heads the social benefits of min wages.
It forces people to succeed. And when they do they get the added benefit of an ego boost that is actually deserved. Pushing them to work harder.
This produces a populous that understands the meaning of hard work. And a wealthy populous to pad the tax coffers. Everybody wins.

Liberals can't seem to get through their heads the social benefits of min wages.
It forces people to succeed. And when they do they get the added benefit of an ego boost that is actually deserved. Pushing them to work harder.
This produces a populous that understands the meaning of hard work. And a wealthy populous to pad the tax coffers. Everybody wins.
Oh, it has gotten through their heads. They don't believe in ambition, hard-work, responsibility etc. It is their ideology. Sad really..

I've noticed these minimum wage debates follow a common pattern. We have the "left" and the "right", arguing passionately over whether some class of people "deserve" some special benefit or penalty. Along with the occasional libertarian offering: it's not up to government to decide. We can make such calls as a society without dictating conformity via the law.

Was the country a better place when there were no labor laws?

But there are labor laws. And we used to light our homes with oil lanterns...so what?

But there are labor laws. And we used to light our homes with oil lanterns...so what?

Those laws exist because the government decided to put them in place. The post I responded to says it's not up to the government to decide such things.

So the question remains...Was the country a better place when there were no labor laws?

If you are older than 22 and in a minimum wage job, that is most likely because you made some bad choices somewhere along the way. Stop demanding the government to nurture your fuckups and lack of initiative.

Last edited:

Those laws exist because the government decided to put them in place. The post I responded to says it's not up to the government to decide such things.

So the question remains...Was the country a better place when there were no labor laws?

It's a long leap from protecting children to a guaranteed income for irresponsible people.

the gov't has an obligation to maintain a minimum standard of living for everyone including those who are not enterprisers and who live their lives happily wishing not to have anything to do with economic complexities or the capitalist system.

I dunno. It's irrelevant in my view. There are any number of things government could do to make the country a 'better place' (by who's accounting?), or to make us a 'better society', or 'better people'. But I don't want government in the business of making such value judgments. We (libertarians) want a government that protects our freedom to live our lives the way we want, to be the kind of people and the kind of society we want - not to dictate to us what the "good life" is and push us all toward that goal.

the gov't has an obligation to maintain a minimum standard of living for everyone including those who are not enterprisers and who live their lives happily wishing not to have anything to do with economic complexities or the capitalist system.

The only person who has an obligation to maintain your minimum standard of living is YOU. So get to work. Don't expect someone else to carry your lazy ass.

No.. it does not at a federal level.. if you wish to pass such a thing in your town or fucking commune, go ahead and try

I'm always curious about those opposed to a minimum wage....

How do you determine the wages paid to someone who doesn't have a set deliverable...how much should someone make who, lets say, installs a computer.

Forum List

Back