Minimum wage laws helping low wage workers

It is impossible to have wages rise with zero increase in production and not have a large lowering of productivity. Impossible.
Lowering productivity means lowering of profit margins/raising of prices. Again, impossible these things will not happen.
That translates into layoffs, again (virtually) impossible for that not to happen.

Don't believe me?

The CBO says so as well.

The Effects of a Minimum-Wage Increase on Employment and Family Income | Congressional Budget Office

It is the height of economic stupidity/naivety to expect tens of millions of people to get massive wage increases with ZERO increase in production and not have that cost jobs and hurt the overall economy.

Think people.

Finally, where in either the Constitution or the UN Charter does it say that a minimum wage must be a 'living wage'?
Hint - it doesn't.
so what; unemployment compensation for simply being unemployed can automatically stablize that and promote a positive multiplier effect in the process.

and,

higher paid labor pays more in taxes and creates more in demand, in every long run equilibrium.

Nonsense...you are guessing/hoping.

Prove it with links to unbiased, factual data.

I guarantee you cannot.

The CBO is taking about a loss of at least 500,000 jobs at just a $10.10 MW.
Taxes and pogey will make up that difference - ridiculous.
MW earners have the lowest tax bracket. And pogey comes from tax payers - which means they lose money they would otherwise have spent. Plus, it is temporary whereas the CBO is talking about permanent job losses in those sectors.

Your theory makes NO sense and cannot be factually verified.

Last edited:
While the Republicans wine about minimum wage laws taking jobs away I know many low wage workers celebrating in cities that have raised their minimum wage laws. Rather than leaving their jobs as they were planning they are staying because of the pay increases. Some companies are even raising their minimum wage they pay workers like Amazon to $15/hr. A lot of low wage workers I know are celebrating, they have kept their jobs, stayed employed full time, some even have full benefits, and are very happy with the minimum wage increase laws. One worker I know was previously making a couple years ago $8/hr, now she is making $13/hr at the same job with full benefits working full time doing the exact same job she did a couple years ago.

Republicans say how much minimum wage laws hurt workers, what a bunch of baloney !
Next week here in Washington state our minimum wage will be $12/hr. All you see in the fast food places are seniors. No one with a small business is going to hire a kid with no work experience at $11.50 and now $12/hr. They hire seniors because they know how to work, they're dependable with less drama, and don't steal shit.
what happens when you run out of seniors wanting to work?
Raise the minimum wage for incentive.

In my area mason laborers are making twelve the eighteen dollars an hour and bricklayers twenty one to twenty five an hour..Maintenance at plants start around sixteen and go to twenty five an hour...

While the Republicans wine about minimum wage laws taking jobs away I know many low wage workers celebrating in cities that have raised their minimum wage laws. Rather than leaving their jobs as they were planning they are staying because of the pay increases. Some companies are even raising their minimum wage they pay workers like Amazon to $15/hr. A lot of low wage workers I know are celebrating, they have kept their jobs, stayed employed full time, some even have full benefits, and are very happy with the minimum wage increase laws. One worker I know was previously making a couple years ago $8/hr, now she is making $13/hr at the same job with full benefits working full time doing the exact same job she did a couple years ago.

Republicans say how much minimum wage laws hurt workers, what a bunch of baloney !
Next week here in Washington state our minimum wage will be $12/hr. All you see in the fast food places are seniors. No one with a small business is going to hire a kid with no work experience at $11.50 and now $12/hr. They hire seniors because they know how to work, they're dependable with less drama, and don't steal shit.

You won't run out of seniors...the population is aging FAST.
And there are lots of seniors desperate for extra income.
No way you will run out of seniors for many years to come.

So Washington minimum wage will be $12/hr next week. Guess what it goes to next year on January first? $13.50. So it's $11.50 now, and it goes to $13.50 next year. That's a $2.00/hr increase in one year. What's it going to cost you for a double burger, fries and drink when minimum wage is $13.50/hr?

Damn man I earned ten bucks an hour before 1985....Get a trade...

Before I became an OTR Truck Driver I was making less than $10/hr and I have a Master's Degree.
I went to college and realized that you can earn just as much if not more without debt from college, and you can earn a lot more being self employed...

That is the question of current times: is college worth the debt?

Less and less people want get trained to take jobs that require manual labor. Many feel that if they are going to pay to learn something, it better be for a job sitting behind a desk.

My nephew was thrilled when he graduated with a Masters degree, but at the age of 33, he's working night and day to payoff his college loans. My sister is doing the same. They both took out loans for his college.

It was one of the issues that led to his divorce. She wanted to start a family, and he wanted to wait until they were debt free (she was paying off her loans as well) before they started a new debt which is a family. He didn't want to get buried in debt, and she was watching her biological time clock.

To save money, he gave up his apartment and is now living with his mother..... again. When I was his age, I just purchased my home and rental properties. I was debt free and working since the day I left high school. When I moved from my parents house at the age of 20, I never went back.

Will he do better than I did in the long run? I certainly hope so. But even with his degree (and now job experience) it's still a gamble.

I'm 70 and work part time about 15 hours a week. That pays for my gasoline, food, and going out to eat with a lot left over.

They'll only celebrate until the companies forced to overpay automate, or move.

Are you serious? The population is aging...fast. And millions of seniors in America are desperate for additional income.
There is no way seniors will run out anytime soon.

Besides, there will be automation eventually anyway...and bye bye to those overpaid, minimum wage jobs.

Hamburger-making machine churns out custom burgers at industrial speeds
Yes and a lot more that isn't even on the radar yet.

So Washington minimum wage will be $12/hr next week. Guess what it goes to next year on January first? $13.50. So it's $11.50 now, and it goes to $13.50 next year. That's a $2.00/hr increase in one year. What's it going to cost you for a double burger, fries and drink when minimum wage is $13.50/hr?

Maybe another fifty cents!

Oh, no, we can’t afford that!

Maybe another fifty cents!

Oh, no, we can’t afford that!
The ones that get hurt are the elderly that can't work and are on fixed incomes. No way they can afford to drive or go out to eat.

Not too much really. That's because the increased cost of new wages are divided.

You won't see much of an increase at your McDonald's. That's because McDonald's sells 1,000 hamburgers a day, 800 french fries a day, 2000 soft drinks and milk shakes a day, 600 breakfast items a day.

However Joe at Joe's Hardware does not sell 700 hammers a day or 200 snowblowers. The cost of his items will increase much more than McDonalds and will be more noticeable.

I'm 70 and work part time about 15 hours a week. That pays for my gasoline, food, and going out to eat with a lot left over.
Toilet trencher?

Damn man I earned ten bucks an hour before 1985....Get a trade...

My first job was as a singer in a rock band, in high school in 1968. Made more than a 40-hour week's worth of minimum wage in eight hours on weekends.

Didn't bother with a commercial job until 1971. The first lasted three months, and was the first and last at minimum wage.

Toilet trencher?
Naw, Elvis impersonator at the retirement homes.

Toilet trencher?
Naw, Elvis impersonator at the retirement homes.

Bubba-Ho Tep?

Are you serious? The population is aging...fast. And millions of seniors in America are desperate for additional income.
There is no way seniors will run out anytime soon.

Besides, there will be automation eventually anyway...and bye bye to those overpaid, minimum wage jobs.

Hamburger-making machine churns out custom burgers at industrial speeds
not all entry level work is in the fast food sector.

Forum List

Back