🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Missouri executes brain damaged cop-killer Cecil Clayton

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
Missouri executed 74-year-old convicted cop-killer Cecil Clayton on Tuesday night. But Clayton was not your ordinary inmate.

In 1972 – some 24 years before committing the crime for which he was sentenced to death – Clayton was injured in a sawmill accident in which a piece of wood pierced his skull. As a result, doctors removed one-fifth of Clayton’s frontal lobe, the part of the brain that controls decision-making, mood, and impulse-control. Thereafter, Clayton “broke up with his wife, began drinking alcohol and became impatient, unable to work and more prone to violent outbursts,” one of his brothers told The Atlantic. His IQ dropped, and in 1983, Clayton was diagnosed with chronic brain syndrome, a condition said to decrease mental function.

Then, in 1996, Clayton’s life changed forever – again – when he shot and killed a police officer. Before Barry County Sheriff’s Deputy Chris Castetter even got out of his vehicle at Clayton’s home – where the officer had gone to investigate a domestic dispute – Clayton fatally shot Castetter in the head, according to police. A Missouri jury found him guilty and sentenced Clayton to death.

Missouri executes brain damaged cop-killer Cecil Clayton MSNBC

human tragedy simple as that....many questions....why kill a brain damaged man but then he could never be free again....you could not take the chance with his impaired judgement .....why kill an 74 yr old man....are we really that much of an eye for an eye nation.....

now here i will go with sealy....a christian nation....really?

Missouri executed 74-year-old convicted cop-killer Cecil Clayton on Tuesday night. But Clayton was not your ordinary inmate.

In 1972 – some 24 years before committing the crime for which he was sentenced to death – Clayton was injured in a sawmill accident in which a piece of wood pierced his skull. As a result, doctors removed one-fifth of Clayton’s frontal lobe, the part of the brain that controls decision-making, mood, and impulse-control. Thereafter, Clayton “broke up with his wife, began drinking alcohol and became impatient, unable to work and more prone to violent outbursts,” one of his brothers told The Atlantic. His IQ dropped, and in 1983, Clayton was diagnosed with chronic brain syndrome, a condition said to decrease mental function.

Then, in 1996, Clayton’s life changed forever – again – when he shot and killed a police officer. Before Barry County Sheriff’s Deputy Chris Castetter even got out of his vehicle at Clayton’s home – where the officer had gone to investigate a domestic dispute – Clayton fatally shot Castetter in the head, according to police. A Missouri jury found him guilty and sentenced Clayton to death.

Missouri executes brain damaged cop-killer Cecil Clayton MSNBC

human tragedy simple as that....many questions....why kill a brain damaged man but then he could never be free again....you could not take the chance with his impaired judgement .....why kill an 74 yr old man....are we really that much of an eye for an eye nation.....

now here i will go with sealy....a christian nation....really?

To be fair we were executing a 55 year old man, it just that our justice system takes time to make sure we are executing the right person, for the right reasons. To hold the systems time requirements against it by way of sympathy for offing an old guy isn't really fair.

One less cop killer on the streets and one less mouth to feed at taxpayer expense. Regardless of brain function all people get to choose which decisions they make -- rights decisions or wrong decisions. Choose wisely!

i cannot agree here.....one has to have compassion....his brain was basically destroyed by a frontal lobotomy it does not matter that it was accidental it is what it is....i just cannot see executing the brain damaged....but then again you have those expert witnesses who can make anyone fit the brain damaged profile

seems like serving that many years on death row and death not coming is a torture in itself...

i cannot agree here.....one has to have compassion....his brain was basically destroyed by a frontal lobotomy it does not matter that it was accidental it is what it is....i just cannot see executing the brain damaged....but then again you have those expert witnesses who can make anyone fit the brain damaged profile

seems like serving that many years on death row and death not coming is a torture in itself...

If he was that brain damaged, then why wasn't he in an institution?

i would say his wife did not have him declared incompetent...and it is much harder to institutionalize people now

Exactly. So ending it was the most humane.

i would say his wife did not have him declared incompetent...and it is much harder to institutionalize people now

You stated that his "brain was destroyed". If doctors can't institutionalize a man with a "destroyed brain" then we see the problem right there.

by destroying the frontal lobe you destroy the ability to reason etc...i am surprise he was capable of daily living without great aid...

mudd then it should have been done earlier....he serves a long time on death row...

correl sweetie there is a big difference between destroyed....a term i did not use and damaged the term i did use

If he was that brain damaged, then why wasn't he in an institution?
Prison is the new psych ward....

by destroying the frontal lobe you destroy the ability to reason etc...i am surprise he was capable of daily living without great aid...

mudd then it should have been done earlier....he serves a long time on death row...

Maybe he had the aid. Maybe he was capable of daily living without aid.

If he was a danger to himself or others he should have been institutionalized.

there are limits to the time you can do that....and if the person is not declared incompetent ..they can sign themselves out....you can voluntarily go in but again you can sign yourself out....putting a person in a mental asylum is harder than one might think

correl sweetie there is a big difference between destroyed....a term i did not use and damaged the term i did use

Your words.

"his brain was basically destroyed by a frontal lobotomy it does not matter that it was accidental it is what it is."
there are limits to the time you can do that....and if the person is not declared incompetent ..they can sign themselves out....you can voluntarily go in but again you can sign yourself out....putting a person in a mental asylum is harder than one might think

It should be easier.

If the brain damage is why this happened, then this guy was a time bomb waiting to go off.

If it was not, then he is responsible for his actions.

Either he should have been locked up before the murder, or he should be held responsible for it.

Institutionalize someone like this and every person in that institution is in danger.

It is sad that a nation that holds itself up to the world as "exceptional" can be so barbaric

We don't have to kill anybody. It's cheaper to lock them up forever than it is to kill them, and we wouldn't have to worry about a questionable execution.

The rest of the world reads stories like this and just shake their heads in disbelief

Forum List

Back