Missouri Rep. floats $100 tax credit for political campaign contributions.

Do you think this will incentivize political contribution for the poor?

• Yes it will

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Whatever...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
This is a "what do you think" thread. I can see both sides of this debate, and personally I'm on the fence about it. There will also be a poll.

JEFFERSON CITY

State Sen. Rob Schaaf calls it “the bill that will make all other bills better.”

The idea, which Schaaf calls the “Taxation with Representation Act,” would provide $100 tax credits to taxpayers who make qualifying political donations.

So giving a candidate $100 will save $100 on your taxes.

Schaaf, a St. Joseph Republican, says the hope is that it will inspire a wider range of people to participate in the political process, as well as encourage elected officials to fund their campaign through small-dollar donors instead of wealthy individuals or corporations.

“It would decentralize the funding of political campaigns, diluting the influence of big-money special interests and making government more accountable to the people,” he said.

The idea got its first airing during a hearing of the Missouri Senate’s rules, joint rules, resolutions and ethics committee on Tuesday morning, and Schaaf said he was also scheduled to discuss the plan with Gov. Eric Greitens later in the morning.

If Missouri lawmakers sign off on the legislation, the state would join a handful of others that offer similar incentives.

Read more here: Missouri Republican wants to provide $100 tax credit for campaign contributions

So, you donate 100 bucks, and you only get 100 dollars in credit? I'd rather donate the money to charity and take it off my taxes that way.

And, you can claim up to (I think) 75.00 in charitable donations without having to provide a receipt. Anything over that, and you do.

Sounds like a politician looking for another way to bilk people out of money.

$250
So, you donate 100 bucks, and you only get 100 dollars in credit? I'd rather donate the money to charity and take it off my taxes that way.

And, you can claim up to (I think) 75.00 in charitable donations without having to provide a receipt. Anything over that, and you do.

$250

Charitable donations are up to 250 without any receipts now?

Well...............that makes this deal look pretty weak by comparison.

This is a "what do you think" thread. I can see both sides of this debate, and personally I'm on the fence about it. There will also be a poll.

JEFFERSON CITY

State Sen. Rob Schaaf calls it “the bill that will make all other bills better.”

The idea, which Schaaf calls the “Taxation with Representation Act,” would provide $100 tax credits to taxpayers who make qualifying political donations.

So giving a candidate $100 will save $100 on your taxes.

Schaaf, a St. Joseph Republican, says the hope is that it will inspire a wider range of people to participate in the political process, as well as encourage elected officials to fund their campaign through small-dollar donors instead of wealthy individuals or corporations.

“It would decentralize the funding of political campaigns, diluting the influence of big-money special interests and making government more accountable to the people,” he said.

The idea got its first airing during a hearing of the Missouri Senate’s rules, joint rules, resolutions and ethics committee on Tuesday morning, and Schaaf said he was also scheduled to discuss the plan with Gov. Eric Greitens later in the morning.

If Missouri lawmakers sign off on the legislation, the state would join a handful of others that offer similar incentives.

Read more here: Missouri Republican wants to provide $100 tax credit for campaign contributions

Having grown up poor I couldn't see anyone giving up $100.00 with the promise that the government would give it back months later.

Forum List

Back