🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Missouri...Trump prevails by 1,639 votes.

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
The final tally with 100% reporting...Trump 40.83%, Cruz 40.65%, Kasich 10.1%, Rubio 6.9% ....

Total Republican votes...934,958

Democrat Primary Results: Clinton 49.6, Sanders 49.4

Total Democrat votes...619,673

Other that Springfield area , where I would expect the evangelical conservative Candidate to win (and Cruz did)...Cruz only won the most URBAN areas...which is very strange. Link

Cruz won the Kansas City area, and Springfield, and Columbia, Jefferson City, Cape Girardeau and Hannibal (which is a good sized town, but still ruralish..it is the outlier).

Aside from the aforementioned Greater Springfield area and Hannibal, those are the most reliably Democrat areas of the state.

BUT, Trump won St Louis City and St Louis County, which is also reliably blue, plus virtually every rural county in the state, that are also (with the inclusion of Greater Springfield that Cruz won), the most reliably Republican areas of the state.

Very, very peculiar outcome.

Kasich and Rubio took zero counties.

Primary Map:

Missouri Primary Results.jpg

2012 General Election map:

Missouri 2012 Results.jpg

Now, FTR, Missouri allows candidates to request a recount of any election where the result is within 1%...they have 6 days (I believe), then the recount must be completed within 20 days.

Last edited:
Then there will be no winner tonight.

That would be my understanding. These are the official results. Either the race will be called after the six days pass without a challenge, or there will be a challenge, and a recount.

Last edited:
Then there will be no winner tonight.

Dug up the law...it's seven days to challenge the results...after that the results become final.

By tomorrow, they'll have the breakdown of delegates for these results. It might not be worth challenging due to the proportional delegate allotment.

Missouri recount procedures
A candidate who loses by less than 1% of the total votes cast has the right to seek a recount.[1] The recount request must be filed no later than seven days after the election is certified with the Secretary of State. The results of the recount will be certified within 20 days of the receipt of the recount request by the Secretary of State. The candidate requesting the recount may be required to post a bond. In addition, an election authority may petition a circuit court for a recount or new election “if convinced that errors or omission of commission have occurred on the part of the election authority, election judges, or any election personnel in the conduct of an election.”[2]

Last edited:
That county by county breakdown is nothing short of bizarre. I would have thought Cruz would have hit rural and Trump the urban centers. Interesting. TY!

If Cruz is hell bent on stopping Trump from being the nominee, it would be a mistake not to request one.

I agree. Trump gets an extra 12 delegates for winning the state.

Missouri, an open primary that awards 5 delegates to the winner in each of its eight congressional districts, plus another 12 to the statewide winner, also seems certain to add a healthy chunk to Trump’s total. (If any candidate hits 50 percent statewide, he wins all 52 of Missouri’s delegates.)

Read more at: The Math Says Trump Won't Be Stopped if He Sweeps Florida & Ohio, by Tim Alberta, National Review

That county by county breakdown is nothing short of bizarre. I would have thought Cruz would have hit rural and Trump the urban centers. Interesting. TY!

I was stunned by those results...never seen anything like it. But I suppose that this is the election cycle to literally expect the unexpected at every turn.

If Cruz is hell bent on stopping Trump from being the nominee, it would be a mistake not to request one.

Missouri, an open primary that awards 5 delegates to the winner in each of its eight congressional districts, plus another 12 to the statewide winner, also seems certain to add a healthy chunk to Trump’s total. (If any candidate hits 50 percent statewide, he wins all 52 of Missouri’s delegates.)

Read more at: The Math Says Trump Won't Be Stopped if He Sweeps Florida & Ohio, by Tim Alberta, National Review
I thought Missouri had a winner take all trigger?

I did too, but you have to get over 50% of the vote. At least I think that's how it works.

Our local ABC affiliate called the race at the direction of the Secretary of States Office issuing certified results...with the caveat that a recount was optional.

Missouri Primary KSPR Results.jpg

Uncommitted won the Libertarian Primary by a landslide. :lol:

I did too, but you have to get over 50% of the vote. At least I think that's how it works.
You might be right.

LOL. So it's over?

Yes...and no.

The MoSOS certifies these results just like an election that has a 20 point spread. So, yes, these are the official results of the election.

BUT...the candidate can still ask for a recount, because the result was within 1% of the total votes cast. If the candidate asks for a recount, the results are then in dispute and a recount will ensue, voiding the certification. The official results will then be the certified recount totals.

Forum List

Back