Model S is the THIRD Best-Selling Luxury Car in California

For the sake of argument we could compare battery powered automotive technology today to the turn of the 20th century when Henry Ford took a chance on powering wagons with fossil fuel. Henry Ford decided to make cars affordable to the masses. The Tesla company apparently decided to create an obviously equipped luxury battery car that only the rich could afford. Why would they want to market new technology that way? The short answer is that they need money and they don't trust the technology. They have been losing money since they started and they know that their only hope is to market the product to the liberal elite as toys that give the subtle message that the driver has taste but is also aware of the environment. It's a slick Ad. campaign but how far will it take them during an economic downturn? ?

No. The Tesla company wanted to build a car that was better than almost anything available. They did that. The big three and foreign builders now have a new standard to meet.

FYI: There is no economic downturn for the rich. Republicans made sure of that.

There is no standard to meet except a 6,000 pound battery humming along for 300 miles. Other than that it's a hunk of junk with leather seats and a GPS. The target consumer wasn't the common man, it was the Hollywood actor who could afford to show that he really cared about ....umm....some green....umm.

I talked to an owner of a Tesla S, He loves the car and is very happy with it.
He said for a daily driver it is a great car and the only one he would want.

Pretty cool. I don't personally know anyone who is willing to shell out the better part of 100k for a toy that goes 300 miles. Why did Tesla market the car to the elite rich? It's a status symbol that elite liberals need in order to show that they care about ....umm....green stuff.

Pretty cool. I don't personally know anyone who is willing to shell out the better part of 100k for a toy that goes 300 miles. Why did Tesla market the car to the elite rich? It's a status symbol that elite liberals need in order to show that they care about ....umm....green stuff.

'He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins'.

Seriously, the S is a formidable high performance machine that set the new bar. FYI, it's $150K less than it's nearest comparable.

1. The purchase of a new hybrid vehicle is a better indicator of household wealth than a doctorate degree. The average hybrid-buying household earns $113,400 a year- more than twice the median household income in America.
http://www.census.gov/prod/2002pubs/p23-210.pdf

2. ‘In fact, more than half of the Prius buyers surveyed this spring by CNW Marketing Research of Bandon, Ore., said the main reason they purchased their car was that “it makes a statement about me.” ‘http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/04/business/04hybrid.html

Well, most of us do 90% of our driving within 30 miles of our home. So an EV with a 70 mile range is a practicle urban vehicle. And, if one has a south facing roof, one can supply not only one's own fuel, but also power their home. Not only that, with a grid tie system, you are helping supply electricity when it is most needed, and using it in your home when excess capacity is greatest on the grid.

And Tesla, as much I like their vehicles are not the only EV's on the road. Ford, Chevy, almost all the Japanese manufactures, and, shortly, even Mercedes and BMW will be marketing EV's.

At present there are lab built batteries that are capable of storing 4 to 10 times as much of a charge as the batteries in the Tesla. With the same size battery pack, that translates to a range of over 1000 miles for the Tesla, and 250 or 350 miles for the Focus EV and the Chevy Spark EV. We will see someone market these batteries in the next 5 years. At that time, there will be a paradigm change in the type of vehicle that most of us will want.

There are several labs making batteries that have 4 to 10 times the capacity of the present batteries in the Tesla S. When one gets to the manufacturing stage, there will be a whole new paradigm in the auto industry. Imagine having a luxury car that is not only rated the best and safest in the world, but one that can go 1000 miles or better without stopping for fuel.

You have a link to that or something to support such a bold claim?

Forum List

Back