Modern conservatives sympathizing with The Confederacy... Is this a thing now?

His claim is wrong anyway. Not all states stated slavery as the reason for secession. I believe only four of them did.

Of the eleven states of the CSA, five issued declarations of secession. In those five declarations are more than 80 references to slavery. They all declared slavery as the central reason for secession.

Mississippi pretty much summed it up for all of them:
Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world.

Great. Then you concede that only a minority declared slavery to be the reason for secession.
That is somewhat irrelevant if the remaining states didn't bother to cite a reason at all.

It seems to me that they felt the 5 that did had said all that needed to be said....

Well, that's certainly your opinion.

Sorry, my friend, but I can say, "The South had the right to secede" without it in any way meaning "Slavery, YAY!"

So you only believe the south had the right to secede? You don't support the Confederacy's cause over the Union's cause?

Because the Confederacy's cause was based in large part on slavery. I'm gonna assume you support the Union over the Confederacy.. unless you actually don't have a problem with slavery..

The two are forever intertwined.

:wink_2:

You are a complete authoritarian. Something can only be allowed if you support it. That frankly is sick, very sick

No, you misunderstood. Something isn't just allowed because I support it, I just happen to support sane positions. Thus the things that should be allowed, I support. It's not that I choose what is right and wrong, I'm just smart enough to never back the wrong side. It all comes down to intellect, Kaz. I appreciate that you have 'principles' that you stand by no matter what, but intelligence is worth much more.

Jane Fonda sat on a Viet Cong gun emplacement and pretended to shoot down Americans while the Vietnam war was still going on. Bill Ayers had his little gang cooking up bombs to use against the U.S. Military during the Vietnam war and the low information left wants to bring up the freaking Confederacy in a modern political debate? You gotta be kidding.

Discussion are like this because tards have confused cause and effect.

The cause was the preservation of slavery. The seceding states said so quite plainly.

It's not that simple.

It's a deflection since it's irrelevant to the discussion. You are arguing a historical fact. Whether or not that historical fact is true doesn't mean anyone supports their cause

Southerners......

Known best for segregation, Jim Crowe, the KKK, and now, Republicans, Tea Partiers, and evangelicals
Your hero Lincoln is known for rape,

Who did Lincoln rape? What was his or her name?

Lincoln's soldiers, with his express permission, raped thousands of Southern women, especially black female slaves.

Oh I am curious now- where and when did Lincoln give that express permission?

Link please.

Oh puhleeze. You have to be retarded to believe that Sherman didn't deliberate turn a blind eye to it, and that Lincoln knew about it.
You are a huge retard, and apparently haven't read the words of Sherman or Lincoln.

First of all, Sherman told his troups not to harm southerners or destroy perosnal property, but when it happened he didn't try and stop it.

Which is good.

The more southerners that were raped, killed, robbed, and otherwise demoralized, out of supporting the continued unlawfull seizure of US territiory by slave owners...the better.

Southerners......

Known best for segregation, Jim Crowe, the KKK, and now, Republicans, Tea Partiers, and evangelicals

Lincoln's soldiers, with his express permission, raped thousands of Southern women, especially black female slaves.

Link please.

Oh puhleeze. You have to be retarded to believe that Sherman didn't deliberate turn a blind eye to it, and that Lincoln knew about it.

Oh, Sherman was an animal. He was a big believer in making war so ugly and nasty for one's opponents that surrender would be appealing.

Admittedly, he had a point, as far as that went.

Link please.

You are a huge retard, and apparently haven't read the words of Sherman or Lincoln.

First of all, Sherman told his troups not to harm southerners or destroy perosnal property, but when it happened he didn't try and stop it.

Which is good.

The more southerners that were raped, killed, robbed, and otherwise demoralized, out of supporting the continued unlawfull seizure of US territiory by slave owners...the better. The fact that Republican bible thumpers from the south are still around means Sherman left too many of them alive

The Great State of Mississippi

A Declaration of the Immediate Causes which Induce and Justify the Secession of the State of Mississippi from the Federal Union. In the momentous step which our State has taken of dissolving its connection with the government of which we so long formed a part, it is but just that we should declare the prominent reasons which have induced our course.

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin. That we do not overstate the dangers to our institution, a reference to a few facts will sufficiently prove.

Ooh, look. One state! That certainly proves that ALL of them said so!

Or not.

I guess you are one of those tards
Stopped reading here. So you are a Republican, who always argues for Democrats, and is calling a libertarian a Republican to insult me. Are you in therapy or just a liar? I'm thinking the latter

They simply cannot justify slavery though for it is morally, ethically, and legally wrong and always has been.

So the belief that States can secede from the union now means we believe in slavery.

Um...OK?

Have you ever been tested to see if you have an IQ?
You dont have a right to secede first ....Second If you are a supporter of confederates you support slavery since that was what they were about....I know you like to believe they were for states rights but the only right they cared about was the one that wrongly said they could own people.

Sorry, my friend, but I can say, "The South had the right to secede" without it in any way meaning "Slavery, YAY!"

So you only believe the south had the right to secede? You don't support the Confederacy's cause over the Union's cause?

Because the Confederacy's cause was based in large part on slavery. I'm gonna assume you support the Union over the Confederacy.. unless you actually don't have a problem with slavery..

Yes, dipshit. I'm not a liberal or a leftist, so I'm perfectly capable of defending someone's right to do something without in any way feeling required to endorse, agree with, or approve the action itself.

True believers in freedom are funny that way.

Just trying to separate the sane from the insane.

Bripat was recently quoted saying that there is "nothing more American than what the Confederacy fought for".

Considering the Confederacy 'fought for' the right to own people, you can see why I questioned your judgement when you said you couldn't be bothered to look facts up and would just trust his judgement :laugh:

Link please.

Oh, Sherman was an animal. He was a big believer in making war so ugly and nasty for one's opponents that surrender would be appealing.

Admittedly, he had a point, as far as that went.
The more southerners that were raped, killed, robbed, and otherwise demoralized, out of supporting the continued unlawfull seizure of US territiory by slave owners...the better. The fact that Republican bible thumpers from the south are still around means Sherman left too many of them alive

Link please.

Wonderful! yet another Bripat 'fact' that was discovered to just be assumption.

Don't feel too down, Bripat. Cecille still hangs on your every word.
Lucky for you, she's too stupid/lazy/willfully ignorant to fact check :wink_2:

Dixiecrats..:rolleyes-41:

*snore* "I said it, now YOU prove that I'm right!" Do me a favor and hold your breath until I do your homework for you, Chuckles.

So the belief that States can secede from the union now means we believe in slavery.

Um...OK?

You dont have a right to secede first ....Second If you are a supporter of confederates you support slavery since that was what they were about....I know you like to believe they were for states rights but the only right they cared about was the one that wrongly said they could own people.

Yes, dipshit. I'm not a liberal or a leftist, so I'm perfectly capable of defending someone's right to do something without in any way feeling required to endorse, agree with, or approve the action itself.

Bripat was recently quoted saying that there is "nothing more American than what the Confederacy fought for".

Considering the Confederacy 'fought for' the right to own people, you can see why I questioned your judgement when you said you couldn't be bothered to look facts up and would just trust his judgement :laugh:
Then Bripat should stop waving the American Flag around, and move out of our country

You are a complete authoritarian. Something can only be allowed if you support it. That frankly is sick, very sick

No, you misunderstood. Something isn't just allowed because I support it, I just happen to support sane positions. Thus the things that should be allowed, I support. It's not that I choose what is right and wrong, I'm just smart enough to never back the wrong side. It all comes down to intellect, Kaz. I appreciate that you have 'principles' that you stand by no matter what, but intelligence is worth much more.

You said that you aren't saying only that which you support is allowed, then you repeated that only that which you support is allowed.

And your argument is that if we believe the South should have been allowed to secede, then we have to agree with their reasons for seceding. That is saying exactly only that which we agree with can be allowed.

I've always said the Constitution already covered slavery. Your life, liberty and property cannot be removed without due process of law. That right there bans slavery. It has nothing to do however with secession.

As for your view that intelligence means you turn your manhood over to government and I'm not intelligent because I don't believe that, let's just say I don't agree with what you view as intelligent...

It is my belief that Bripat knows not what he says.

I'm sure his heart is in the right place, his brain just isn't up to snuff.

Discussion are like this because tards have confused cause and effect.

The cause was the preservation of slavery. The seceding states said so quite plainly.

It's not that simple.

It's a deflection since it's irrelevant to the discussion. e

Actually it is pretty much that simple.

If people would stop arguing that the preserving slavery was not one of the reasons, if not the primary reason the Confederacy formed and states seceded, we wouldn't be pointing out that the States very clearly identified slavery as that proximate reason.

Um...OK?

You wanna argue with Bri? Go to it. Just so you grasp the concept, allow me to point out that I'm not Bri. While I consider him a friend, and infinitely smarter than you are, I am not responsible for what he does or doesn't say. I'm only responsible for my own arguments.

The next time you try to conflate us into one person and one argument, and argue against him in a post to me, I will simply ignore you as too stupid to be allowed to breathe. Keep it straight, or go find a hobby that suits your mental acuity. Pottery, perhaps. Or knitting.

4) No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passed.

Thread killer
Not really. The drive to make this centered around slavery is just to ignore the overriding fact that those supporting succession do so because they believe in the sovereignty and right of states to do so.

You can support the right without supporting the reasons behind it.

I do assume that you actually support freedom of speech, correct? I would also assume you support the freedom for WBC to go out and say the horrific crap they say under that right, correct? Most here understand that they have that right even if virtually no one here stands by the asinine way they use it. That is the very nature of rights - sometimes they are not used ion the manner that you would like them to be.

They believed in the rights of the states to put others into bondage

Forum List

Back