Mom who baked cookies for school bus riders for 15 years shut down by complaint

After 15 years of doing it, how many 'didn't get home safely?' :)

Yes, those Toll House Cookies can cause kids to get lost, have memory lapses and allow child predators on the bus.

It's a wonder there hasn't been more news of kids not getting home safely from bake sales and school birthday parties. To think of the potential losses, it staggers the mind.

I work near a metadon clinic. How would you feel if one of them were baking cookies for your kid? We had to put locks on doors that didn't have locks because they were wandering our building where they shouldn't be.

So the mother is a heroin addict? Funny they left that out of the story. How weird.

Then that parent has the responsibilty to teach said child to not accept cookies from other people.

Strong willed children have a problem saying 'no'.

then they are NOT strong willed. they are pussies.

strong willed people are able to say NO.

No. They don't know any better and they aren't sophisticated enough and I wouldn't have a baby sitter around them either who couldn't watch her language.

When I was a kid, my mother would bake a variety of Christmas cookies. All the kids in the neighborhood would stop by, frequently, for cookies.

Back then, who knew my mother was a secret terrorist?

Yes, those Toll House Cookies can cause kids to get lost, have memory lapses and allow child predators on the bus.

It's a wonder there hasn't been more news of kids not getting home safely from bake sales and school birthday parties. To think of the potential losses, it staggers the mind.

I work near a metadon clinic. How would you feel if one of them were baking cookies for your kid? We had to put locks on doors that didn't have locks because they were wandering our building where they shouldn't be.

So the mother is a heroin addict? Funny they left that out of the story. How weird.

So everyone you don't know has good intentions then and Megan's law doesn't exist? Megan's law exists for all the trusting parents out there.

The school did not "shut me down". The anonymous mom did not shut me down. It was necessary to enforce a policy that allowed all kids to get home safely.
:eusa_liar:
So she shut herself down.:eusa_whistle:
What a bad lib loon! :doubt:

Please, don't let those with hate in your heart stop, just because this little foot note is exposed.

I understand the concern of a parent, but when you think about it it's redundant. If your child buys food from a vending machine, or eats the school lunch you're assuming the exact same risks.

No. Individuals aren't inspected by the health department. You don't know if she washes her hands or if she is supervised. You don't know if the food is made in a home with a dog or a cat. You don't know if her kitchen has cleanliness issues.

If you don't trust the baker - you teach your kid not to take the food from strangers.

Period.

Not impose Big Government Nanny to restrict the fun of OTHERS.

But you can't stand that OTHERS might have fun and you are too scared to share it.
So let everybody stop having the fun.
typical leftard mentality.

Instead of PERSONAL responsibility of dealing with PERSONAL phobias you want to impose authoritarian restriction on OTHERS so you won't have to suffer and deal with your little phobias.

Ya, an inner-city methadone clinic's roughly the same as a midwest setting.

Goto Indiana where there are fuel thefts and stealing going on.
I guess the devil doesn't travel to the mid west and the handyman who kidnapped Elizabeth Smart wasn't from out west either.

Strong willed children have a problem saying 'no'.

then they are NOT strong willed. they are pussies.

strong willed people are able to say NO.

No. They don't know any better and they aren't sophisticated enough and I wouldn't have a baby sitter around them either who couldn't watch her language.

so teach them the PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY, for God's sake!

or you want the Government Nanny from cradle to grave to protect your kid?

I am not a babysitter anymore. I am an American Board Certified Physician :D

and I won't work for YOU.
I was choosing my employers.

Last edited:
Think is all a 'shoot your tv' issue. Media-induced-paranoia is why some object. Just gotta get out in your community to see the boogeyman is not in fact hiding in every shadow or on every street corner. People are the same everywhere, sure a few bad apples exist here and there, but by far good people are the majority.

If you're worried about your child accepting a cookie or cupcake from a neighbor fine, I don't blame you for that at all. Meet the person handing em out, try one yourself, ask others who've been enjoying them all year or for 15 years how they are. If no one's dropped dead or suffered gastric issues maybe, just maybe they're safe.

I understand the concern of a parent, but when you think about it it's redundant. If your child buys food from a vending machine, or eats the school lunch you're assuming the exact same risks.

No. Individuals aren't inspected by the health department. You don't know if she washes her hands or if she is supervised. You don't know if the food is made in a home with a dog or a cat. You don't know if her kitchen has cleanliness issues.

If you don't trust the baker - you teach your kid not to take the food from strangers.

Period.

But you can't stand that OTHERS might have fun and you are too scared to share it.

Instead of PERSONAL responsibility of dealing with PERSONAL phobias you want to impose authoritarian restriction on OTHERS so you won't have to suffer and deal with your little phobias.

I worked in a kitchen and most people aren't washing their hands every 20 minutes like they are supposed to so why do you think this woman is any different? If it is wrong for one, it is wrong to accept it from the other.

in case you missed this post of mine earlier:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/8365475-post65.html

<snip>

The interest of the kids getting home safely is the primary concern, and she doesn't sound bitter -- unlike some of the RW wackos here..

Here is one of the "Cookie Lady's comments:

In suburban isolation, | cookie lady | built community at the school bus stop | NewsCut | Minnesota Public Radio News
Quote:
Cookie Lady Ok, I guess I was little naïve about all the controversy this stirred up. The cookies at the bus stop has been a fun little tradition that we have enjoyed but EVERYONE who has weighed in here and EVERYONE in my school district and at the bus stop has is in agreement that their only goal is that the kids arrive home from school safely. As long that happens, no problem.

The only kids who are not getting cookies now are the ones still on the bus and have not yet arrived home safely so it in the Nut Allergy Mom's interest, the bus driver's interest, my interest and everyone else's that harm not come to the children until they reach their bus stop and home.

The school did not "shut me down". The anonymous mom did not shut me down. It was necessary to enforce a policy that allowed all kids to get home safely.

And, as much as I enjoyed getting to know the kids and the neighbors this was not going to go on forever, I thought this was just a nice little human interest story and as my daughter told me "Frankly Mom you're just not that interesting."

She's right. And I apologize for that "idiot" comment. That was uncalled for. Now let's just be kind and tolerant to the people who cross out paths. I know I have some room for improvement there!

http://www.usmessageboard.com/curre...rs-for-15-years-shut-down-by-complaint-4.html

So everyone you don't know has good intentions then and Megan's law doesn't exist? Megan's law exists for all the trusting parents out there.

I'm more worried about the shitty education kids are getting than Phantom Cookie Killers.

Maybe you ought to lock your kids up and feed them through a hole in the door. Better safe than sorry.

When I was growing up my elementary school would have a yearly fund raiser carnival.

One of the events was a 'musical chairs' cake walk where dozens of cakes were given out.

People bought a 1 dollar ticket and the winner won a cake baked by one of the student's mothers.

It was a family fun time and I never heard of anyone getting sick from one of the home made cakes.

But today cake walks are a thing of the past and forbidden by school boards due to liability issues and possible law suits.

Sad......... :doubt:

Not true. Quite a number of schools do have separate tables / areas for those with food allergies.

I pull lunch duty with my son (2nd grade) the separate table is in very close proximity to the rest of the population. Been doing lunch duty with him for years, same set up different schools.

My son's school just doesn't allow peanuts in the building. There is a sign on his hallway that says peanut free zone. Extreme yes, but the school district was sued when that kid died a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is my view, if they are going to ban a certain food then it should be kept out of the building on the basis of risk aversion.

Period.

I worked in a kitchen and most people aren't washing their hands every 20 minutes like they are supposed to so why do you think this woman is any different? If it is wrong for one, it is wrong to accept it from the other.

I don't care where you worked.
If you do not want your children to take food from strangers - you teach them not to do it, not impose restrictions on others who do not have your germ-phobia. Period.

Or maybe some parent who has a kid with a food allergy.

Then that parent has the responsibilty to teach said child to not accept cookies from other people.

some have problems with this simple concept and would rather impose restrictions on others than teach their own kids to be responsible.

This isn't the 70s where my mother could leave me in a car unsupervised and not get arrested.

There are different norms now and one of them is being a parent to protect your children and to be that mom or dad your kids need.

Period.

I don't care where you worked.
If you do not want your children to take food from strangers - you teach them not to do it, not impose restrictions on others who do not have your germ-phobia. Period.

Too bad. The school makes up the rules for what is best and not you.

some have problems with this simple concept and would rather impose restrictions on others than teach their own kids to be responsible.

This isn't the 70s where my mother could leave me in a car unsupervised and not get arrested.

There are different norms now and one of them is being a parent to protect your children and to be that mom or dad your kids need.

it is because of the people like YOU it is not 70s anymore when your mom was leaving you in the car alone and was not getting arrested.

YOU and the people like YOU who want to impose restrictions on OTHERS because of YOUR phobias instead of taking the personal responsibility and teaching your kids what to do and what not to, that we have this PC gestapo controlled life in every area.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back