Mom who baked cookies for school bus riders for 15 years shut down by complaint

Know lots of people over 18, way over, who still make decisions like children. :)

exactly because of the stupid parents like Chuck who think the lessons of life are magically learned the day after you turn 18.

this actually would be hilariously funny if that won't be so extremely sad.

So they should suffer until they are 18 because you fail to be the parent?

Last edited:
Riddle me this, nanny stater: what's to prevent the kids from trading food amongst themselves? If the allergic kid is so sensitive, how on earth can his parents allow him to associate with anyone unsupervised?

or live everyday unsupervised at all?

Oh, don't worry. The NSA is on the case to supervise all of us all the time!

• Thanks
Reactions: Vox
This is the starting point of my cookie recipe taken from the Mrs. Fields website:

"Mrs. Fields" recipe:

1 cup (2 sticks) softened butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 twelve-ounce bags semisweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, sugars, eggs, and vanilla.

3. In another bowl, mix together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.

4. Combine the wet and dry ingredients.

5. Stir in the chocolate chips.

6. With your fingers, place golf ball-sized dough portions 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.

7. Bake for 9-10 minutes or just until edges are light brown.

It's my version of the delicious Mrs. Fields cookies that are crispy around the edge and chewy in the middle. Be careful not to cook these too long. I know it becomes tempting to keep cooking these because they don't seem to be done after 10 minutes, but they will continue to cook for awhile after you take them out of the oven, and when cool, will be nice and chewy.

Authentic recipe:

Blue-Ribbon Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 sticks (1 cup) salted butter
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. In a medium bowl combine flour, soda, and salt. Mix well with wire whisk. Set aside. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, blend sugars at medium speed. Add butter and mix to form a grainy paste, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Add eggs and vanilla extract, and mix at medium speed until just blended. Do not overmix. Add the flour mixture and chocolate chips, and blend at low speed until just mixed. (Again, do not overmix.)

Drop the dough by rounded tablespoons onto an un-greased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart. Bake low and slow for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer cookies immediately to a baking rack or cool surface.

After much tweaking and experimentation, mine now is:

5 cups white wheat flour
3 cups brown sugar (use light brown, and dark brown, don't notice any difference)
1/4 cup white sugar (basically just to say yes, there's some sugar in it)
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
6 tablespoons vanilla (imitation or extract, seems about the same)
4 eggs
4 sticks salt-free butter (have tried 2 and 3 stick versions, but at least once someone marvelled over my use of real butter so settled on 4)
2 23oz bags of Toll-House chocolate chips. Use semi-sweet and milk chocolate variations. The milk chocolate ones smellconsiderably different but taste pretty much the same to me. Maybe a foody would have a preference.

Bake at 350-375F (dial on the oven's old so who knows what the real temp is heh.)

Bake about 12 mins then check, because I'm baking them to give away I usually error on the side of caution and overbake them a bit rather than taking them out and trusting they bake a little more. If not done (with no soft or moist looking part keep baking until done.)

Cool until rigid then distribute.

My township has to send a neighbor's kids to a private school that starts at $37,000 a year because they can't provide a safe place for her kids because someone on the bus might have eaten eggs and breath on her kids sending one of them into antiPhylactic shock that could cause death.

Anaphylaxis and Anaphylactic Shock: Symptoms and Common Triggers

That's sad and unfortunate, but definitely an exception. Sounds like a literal 1 in a million level severe allergy. Thus not anything to base your overall opinion on.

Basing Public Policy on outliers is generally a Very Bad Idea.

Just sayin'.

My township has to send a neighbor's kids to a private school that starts at $37,000 a year because they can't provide a safe place for her kids because someone on the bus might have eaten eggs and breath on her kids sending one of them into antiPhylactic shock that could cause death.

are you expecting the city or the board of education to forbid people to eat eggs because one kid has food allergy?
are you insane, or what? :cuckoo:

Last edited:
Riddle me this, nanny stater: what's to prevent the kids from trading food amongst themselves? If the allergic kid is so sensitive, how on earth can his parents allow him to associate with anyone unsupervised?

or live everyday unsupervised at all?

Oh, don't worry. The NSA is on the case to supervise all of us all the time!

well, having cheering nannystaters a.k.a. Chuck &Co, are you surprised?

For fuck's sake -- don't you understand this is a school liability issue? By not addressing the complaint, the school is LIABLE.

Something happens and the school gets sued, the whole damn town has to pay.

This is the starting point of my cookie recipe taken from the Mrs. Fields website:

"Mrs. Fields" recipe:

1 cup (2 sticks) softened butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 twelve-ounce bags semisweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, sugars, eggs, and vanilla.

3. In another bowl, mix together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.

4. Combine the wet and dry ingredients.

5. Stir in the chocolate chips.

6. With your fingers, place golf ball-sized dough portions 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.

7. Bake for 9-10 minutes or just until edges are light brown.

It's my version of the delicious Mrs. Fields cookies that are crispy around the edge and chewy in the middle. Be careful not to cook these too long. I know it becomes tempting to keep cooking these because they don't seem to be done after 10 minutes, but they will continue to cook for awhile after you take them out of the oven, and when cool, will be nice and chewy.

Authentic recipe:

Blue-Ribbon Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 sticks (1 cup) salted butter
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. In a medium bowl combine flour, soda, and salt. Mix well with wire whisk. Set aside. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, blend sugars at medium speed. Add butter and mix to form a grainy paste, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Add eggs and vanilla extract, and mix at medium speed until just blended. Do not overmix. Add the flour mixture and chocolate chips, and blend at low speed until just mixed. (Again, do not overmix.)

Drop the dough by rounded tablespoons onto an un-greased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart. Bake low and slow for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer cookies immediately to a baking rack or cool surface.

After much tweaking and experimentation, mine now is:

5 cups white wheat flour
3 cups brown sugar (use light brown, and dark brown, don't notice any difference)
1/4 cup white sugar (basically just to say yes, there's some sugar in it)
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
6 tablespoons vanilla (imitation or extract, seems about the same)
4 eggs
4 sticks salt-free butter (have tried 2 and 3 stick versions, but at least once someone marvelled over my use of real butter so settled on 4)
2 23oz bags of Toll-House chocolate chips. Use semi-sweet and milk chocolate variations. The milk chocolate ones smellconsiderably different but taste pretty much the same to me. Maybe a foody would have a preference.

Bake at 350-375F (dial on the oven's old so who knows what the real temp is heh.)

Bake about 12 mins then check, because I'm baking them to give away I usually error on the side of caution and overbake them a bit rather than taking them out and trusting they bake a little more. If not done (with no soft or moist looking part keep baking until done.)

Cool until rigid then distribute.

And you think that is how it should be? Jeebus.

The parents should be responsible for their children, not the township.

So the township should do nothing about the risk and let the children die? No wonder the left doesn't listen to you.

So the township should do nothing about the risk and let the children die? No wonder the left doesn't listen to you.

Stupid strawman response from an idiot^^^

The only alternative to the township supporting the kids is not letting them die.

But I will give you 10 Points For Consistency...you moonbats always reject the individual responsibility option.

Know lots of people over 18, way over, who still make decisions like children. :)

exactly because of the stupid parents like Chuck who think the lessons of life are magically learned the day after you turn 18.

this actually would be hilariously funny if that won't be so extremely sad.

So they should suffer until they are 18 because you fail to be the parent.

it is your kids who are going to suffer after 18 - I can guarantee you that NOW.

stop being a nannystater and they might have a chance.

For fuck's sake -- don't you understand this is a school liability issue? By not addressing the complaint, the school is LIABLE.

No, it is not a school liability issue. It's a parental responsibility issue. The reason we have so many of the societal issues we do today is because of the attitude you display.

For the third damn time:

The Cookie Lady responds - in the first local story, before the RW's took it Victim National:

"Ok, I guess I was little naïve about all the controversy this stirred up. The cookies at the bus stop has been a fun little tradition that we have enjoyed but EVERYONE who has weighed in here and EVERYONE in my school district and at the bus stop has is in agreement that their only goal is that the kids arrive home from school safely. As long that happens, no problem.

The only kids who are not getting cookies now are the ones still on the bus and have not yet arrived home safely so it in the Nut Allergy Mom's interest, the bus driver's interest, my interest and everyone else's that harm not come to the children until they reach their bus stop and home.

The school did not "shut me down". The anonymous mom did not shut me down. It was necessary to enforce a policy that allowed all kids to get home safely.

And, as much as I enjoyed getting to know the kids and the neighbors this was not going to go on forever, I thought this was just a nice little human interest story and as my daughter told me "Frankly Mom you're just not that interesting."

She's right. And I apologize for that "idiot" comment. That was uncalled for. Now let's just be kind and tolerant to the people who cross out paths. I know I have some room for improvement there!" - Cookie Lady

Mom who baked cookies for school bus riders for 15 years shut down by complaint

Last edited:

The only alternative to the township supporting the kids is not letting them die.

But I will give you 10 Points For Consistency...you moonbats always reject the individual responsibility option.

that is why they are leftard moonbats.

I don't have the same definition for nanny state as you. Nanny state means someone else can decide what is best for my kids which would be the users here deciding issues for my kids instead of me who is the parent.

My neighbor's kids would go to a school that prepares food allergy free.

No, it is not a school liability issue.
It's a parental responsibility issue. The reason we have so many of the societal issues we do today is because of the attitude you display.
Yes. It is.

The school bus is an extension of the school.

That places the responsibility of what happens on the school bus on the school.

This isn't difficult, people.

No, it is not a school liability issue. It's a parental responsibility issue. The reason we have so many of the societal issues we do today is because of the attitude you display.

well the nannystaters clearly don't understand that they do not start to be magically responsible and wise the day they turn 18 if nobody taught any responsibility before that.

That is why there is such a high rate of depression, suicide and overall unhappiness among the young Americans - they are not being taught that it is THEM who can make something of their life and that is the sole responsibility of themselves, not anybody else.

I have a college degree so I am not an idiot.

No, it is not a school liability issue.
It's a parental responsibility issue. The reason we have so many of the societal issues we do today is because of the attitude you display.
Yes. It is.

All you are doing is proving your concession to a Nanny State way of life.

well the nannystaters clearly don't understand that they do not start to be magically responsible and wise the day they turn 18 if nobody taught any responsibility before that.

That is why there is such a high rate of depression, suicide and overall unhappiness among the young Americans - they are not being taught that it is THEM who can make something of their life and that is the sole responsibility of themselves, not anybody else.

Apathy is a source of evil.

No, it is not a school liability issue. [/B]It's a parental responsibility issue. The reason we have so many of the societal issues we do today is because of the attitude you display.
Yes. It is.

no, it is NOT.

if you have parents who are such idiots like Chuck has demonstrated himself to be you most definitely are setting up your kids for a life-threatening danger ( in case of food allergies) if you depend on a nanny state measures to protect your kid instead of teaching the kid personal awareness and responsibility from the very early stage.

Forum List

Back