More economic good news......unemployment rate drops to 4.9%

Payroll employment rises by 151,000 in January; unemployment rate changes little (4.9%)

Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Economic News Release

THE EMPLOYMENT SITUATION -- JANUARY 2016

Total nonfarm payroll employment rose by 151,000 in January, and the unemployment rate was little changed at 4.9 percent, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. Job gains occurred in several industries, led by retail trade, food services and drinking places, health care, and manufacturing. Employment declined in private educational services, transportation and warehousing, and mining.

Changes to The Employment Situation Data

Establishment survey data have been revised as a result of the
annual benchmarking process and the updating of seasonal
adjustment factors. Also, household survey data for January 2016
reflect updated population estimates. See the notes at the end
of this news release for more information about these changes.

Household Survey Data

Both the number of unemployed persons, at 7.8 million, and the unemployment rate, at 4.9 percent, changed little in January. Over the past 12 months, the number of unemployed persons and the unemployment rate were down by 1.1 million and 0.8 percentage point, respectively. (See table A-1. See the note at the end of this news release and tables B and C for information about annual population adjustments to the household survey estimates.)

The number of long-term unemployed (those jobless for 27 weeks or more) was essentially unchanged in January, at 2.1 million, and has shown little movement since June. These individuals accounted for 26.9 percent of the unemployed. (See table A-12.)

After accounting for the annual adjustments to the population controls, the civilian labor force and total employment, as measured by the household survey, were little changed in January. The labor force participation rate, at 62.7 percent, was little changed. The employment-population ratio (59.6 percent) changed little over the month but was up by 0.3 percentage point since October. (See table A-1. For additional information about the effects of the population adjustments, see table C.)

In January, 2.1 million persons were marginally attached to the labor force, little different from a year earlier. (The data are not seasonally adjusted.) These individuals were not in the labor force, wanted and were available for work, and had looked for a job sometime in the prior 12 months. They were not counted as unemployed because they had not searched for work in the 4 weeks preceding the survey. (See table A-16.)

Among the marginally attached, there were 623,000 discouraged workers in January, essentially unchanged from a year earlier. (The data are not seasonally adjusted.) Discouraged workers are persons not currently looking for work because they believe no jobs are available for them. The remaining 1.5 million persons marginally attached to the labor force in January had not searched for work for reasons such as school attendance or family responsibilities. (See table A-16.)

Establishment Survey Data

In January, average hourly earnings for all employees on private nonfarm payrolls increased by 12 cents to $25.39. Over the year, average hourly earnings have risen by 2.5 percent. In January, average hourly earnings of private-sector production and nonsupervisory employees rose by 6 cents to $21.33. (See tables B-3 and B-8.)

The change in total nonfarm payroll employment for November was revised from +252,000 to +280,000, and the change for December was revised from +292,000 to +262,000. With these revisions, employment gains in November and December combined were 2,000 lower than previously reported. Over the past 3 months, job gains have averaged 231,000 per month. Monthly revisions result from additional reports received from businesses since the last published estimates and the recalculation of seasonal factors. The annual benchmark process also contributed to these revisions.

The Employment Situation for February is scheduled to be released on Friday, March 4, 2016, at 8:30 a.m. (EST).

Read more: Employment Situation Summary

Good Job Obama!!!! You turned it all around.

That represents an additional .00000005% of the population working.

There are 330 million legal Americans, and another 40 million illegal.

Less people work today, than in 1978.

Bang of Job Communists! :thup:

I don't get it? They were going to dump all the XMAS part time seasonal help correct? does this 150K include all the lost jobs? If so .......... hip hip hooray. better than nothing.

Now go add 0.25cents on every gallon gas just when we start to tread water.......yah.hoo
You've really never heard that these numbers are seasonally adjusted?

Payroll employment rises by 151,000 in January; unemployment rate changes little (4.9%)

Economic News Release

Total nonfarm payroll employment rose by 151,000 in January, and the unemployment rate was little changed at 4.9 percent, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. Job gains occurred in several industries, led by retail trade, food services and drinking places, health care, and manufacturing. Employment declined in private educational services, transportation and warehousing, and mining.

Household Survey Data

Both the number of unemployed persons, at 7.8 million, and the unemployment rate, at 4.9 percent, changed little in January. Over the past 12 months, the number of unemployed persons and the unemployment rate were down by 1.1 million and 0.8 percentage point, respectively. (See table A-1. See the note at the end of this news release and tables B and C for information about annual population adjustments to the household survey estimates.)

The number of long-term unemployed (those jobless for 27 weeks or more) was essentially unchanged in January, at 2.1 million, and has shown little movement since June. These individuals accounted for 26.9 percent of the unemployed. (See table A-12.)

After accounting for the annual adjustments to the population controls, the civilian labor force and total employment, as measured by the household survey, were little changed in January. The labor force participation rate, at 62.7 percent, was little changed. The employment-population ratio (59.6 percent) changed little over the month but was up by 0.3 percentage point since October. (See table A-1. For additional information about the effects of the population adjustments, see table C.)

In January, 2.1 million persons were marginally attached to the labor force, little different from a year earlier. (The data are not seasonally adjusted.) These individuals were not in the labor force, wanted and were available for work, and had looked for a job sometime in the prior 12 months. They were not counted as unemployed because they had not searched for work in the 4 weeks preceding the survey. (See table A-16.)

Among the marginally attached, there were 623,000 discouraged workers in January, essentially unchanged from a year earlier. (The data are not seasonally adjusted.) Discouraged workers are persons not currently looking for work because they believe no jobs are available for them. The remaining 1.5 million persons marginally attached to the labor force in January had not searched for work for reasons such as school attendance or family responsibilities. (See table A-16.)

In January, average hourly earnings for all employees on private nonfarm payrolls increased by 12 cents to $25.39. Over the year, average hourly earnings have risen by 2.5 percent. In January, average hourly earnings of private-sector production and nonsupervisory employees rose by 6 cents to $21.33. (See tables B-3 and B-8.)

The change in total nonfarm payroll employment for November was revised from +252,000 to +280,000, and the change for December was revised from +292,000 to +262,000. With these revisions, employment gains in November and December combined were 2,000 lower than previously reported. Over the past 3 months, job gains have averaged 231,000 per month. Monthly revisions result from additional reports received from businesses since the last published estimates and the recalculation of seasonal factors. The annual benchmark process also contributed to these revisions.

The Employment Situation for February is scheduled to be released on Friday, March 4, 2016, at 8:30 a.m. (EST).

Way to go Obimbo! Maybe you can fix the roads and infrastructure and make a moon shot.

Hoss,

You're a 2 Time Scrub Voter, right?

How were things looking coming into the last year of that mongolian cluster hump?
I was getting pay raises and COLA then. Since Jesus,Jr. got into office he comes up with tricks to stop that. Like lowering gas prices then telling the world, "There, you won't get COLA but I lowered gas prices." How in hell does it help millions of people who don't own a car? Fares for public transportation goes up too.

Do you have any idea how COLA's are calculated? The intent is to keep pace with inflation, leaving you essentially with the same purchasing power.....if your COLAs were higher under the worst POTUS of the modern era it was because inflation was higher....

I don't get it? They were going to dump all the XMAS part time seasonal help correct? does this 150K include all the lost jobs? If so .......... hip hip hooray. better than nothing.

Now go add 0.25cents on every gallon gas just when we start to tread water.......yah.hoo
And to answer your question. No they don't count the loss just the gain.
They count all and it either comes out as a net gain or net loss. Basic mathematics.

Economic News Release

Household Survey Data

That represents an additional .00000005% of the population working.

There are 330 million legal Americans, and another 40 million illegal.

Less people work today, than in 1978.

Bang of Job Communists! :thup:
Title: All Employees: Total Nonfarm Payrolls
Series ID: PAYEMS
Source: US. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Release: Employment Situation

1978-12-01 88673

2016-01-01 143288

You're an idiot....

DPCC http://www.dpcc.senate.gov/?p=blog&id=462

CaeUYCSWIAAyue5.jpg
Yea, I heard mcdonalds and rue21 opened a few new stores..

Or some slogan he picked up on the innertubes....
Look slimy, those jobs are mediocre bullshit. Your standards might be lodged in bullshit but mine arent :thup:
Those jobs numbers would be pleasing to me if they weren't retail bullshit replaced by manufacturing. The fact that the dumbfuck OP said "turned it all around" is the reason for my GIF. He is a goddamn moron.

You have no idea......If you have any actual data, I invite you to provide it.....if you would like to know where such might be located, let me know....[/QUOTE]
There are 20 other threads on this VERY thing. Do some reading.

Title: All Employees: Total Nonfarm Payrolls
Series ID: PAYEMS

1978-12-01 88673

2016-01-01 143288

You're an idiot....

Full time, Comrade.

Obama is the master of the part time, minimum wage economy.

And btw libs. One person losing a good paying job... Then forced to take on three temp jobs ...does not equal... creation of 3 new jobs.
And that has nothing to do with current employment trends

Just more conservative scapegoating

Just like the governments claims have nothing to do with them EITHER. This admin has sunk to the lowest level imaginable as far as reporting factual information. And PRAVDA reporters, like you, only serve the interests of the one percenters. Not the middle class and poor. How does it feel to be a sellout?

Lowest rate since the start of the Great Bush Recession of 2008

Lowest number of working Americans since the 1970's. Job "growth" is 35,000 below what is needed to keep up with population growth. Yep your standards are pretty low dude.

Thanks so much for posting

Doesn't it make you feel the slightest bit stupid that your only response to factual information is your juvenile, passive aggressive whiny responses?

The report is for FIRST TIME unemployment. How about the other unemployed? Don't they count in your world?

No wonder you're so miserable. Constantly reporting on that which you know to be untrue has to warp a person big time. And you're pretty warped.

There were more people in real numbers with full time jobs in;

1.) 1978
2.) 2016

What does that tell you?
It tells me you are a LIAR!

There are more people working Full Time now than ever in the history of this great country.

Look slimy, those jobs are mediocre bullshit. Your standards might be lodged in bullshit but mine arent :thup:
Those jobs numbers would be pleasing to me if they weren't retail bullshit replaced by manufacturing. The fact that the dumbfuck OP said "turned it all around" is the reason for my GIF. He is a goddamn moron.

You have no idea......If you have any actual data, I invite you to provide it.....if you would like to know where such might be located, let me know....
There are 20 other threads on this VERY thing. Do some reading.[/QUOTE]

The bulk of them doing nothing more that recycling the ignorant bleats of Drudge fed zombies....

If participating in any of them have taught you anything, you wouldn't be so reluctant to share it...

Now, would you like me to direct you to where you can find such information?

Hoss,

You're a 2 Time Scrub Voter, right?

How were things looking coming into the last year of that mongolian cluster hump?

Comrade;

There were more people in real numbers with full time jobs in;

1.) 1978
2.) 2016

What does that tell you?
Title: Employed, Usually Work Full Time
Series ID: LNS12500000

1978-12-01 81656

2016-01-01 123141

That you are an idiot?

Wait.....I knew that already.....

You have no idea......If you have any actual data, I invite you to provide it.....if you would like to know where such might be located, let me know....

The bulk of them doing nothing more that recycling the ignorant bleats of Drudge fed zombies....

If participating in any of them have taught you anything, you wouldn't be so reluctant to share it...

Now, would you like me to direct you to where you can find such information?[/QUOTE]
From DRUDGE Employment Situation Summary
Job gains occurred in several industries, led by retail trade, food services and drinking places.
Retail trade added 58,000 jobs in January, following essentially no change in
December. Employment rose in general merchandise stores (+15,000), electronics
and appliance stores (+9,000), motor vehicle and parts dealers (+8,000), and
furniture and home furnishing stores (+7,000)

Job gains occurred in several industries, led by retail trade, food services and drinking places.
furniture and home furnishing stores (+7,000)[/QUOTE]

Why didn't you need to get that from Drudge?

That only leaves about 70,000 jobs unexplained.....

and it's only 1 month.....

Did Drudge explain to you how, if all the jog gains were in "shitty jobs", wages are RISING?

furniture and home furnishing stores (+7,000)

Why didn't you need to get that from Drudge?

That only leaves about 70,000 jobs unexplained.....

and it's only 1 month.....

Did Drudge explain to you how, if all the jog gains were in "shitty jobs", wages are RISING?[/QUOTE]
It wasn't drudge....

Forum List

Back