Motorcycle Facts and Thoughts

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
12 Motorcycle Statistics That'll Floor You -- The Motley Fool

The above link is to an article giving a dozen or so motorcycle facts (some surprising), to which I will add my own thoughts below:

1. It is astounding to me how many people ride expensive Harley's, and (not to be stereotyping, but) how many of them seem not to be prosperous people. In other words, you see - in my area anyway - mainly E-Glides ridden by people who are seriously "working class." I have never thought I could afford a $20k bike, even with a household income well over $200k. But that's just me.

2. While Harley rules the MC world, for every Harley model there are others out there just as good and much cheaper. But note that unlike in the distant past, Harley's are actually pretty good bikes now.

3. Buying a new motorcycle is insane. It is EASY to find low-mileage, well-cared-for used bikes for less than half of the cost of a new one.

4. Harley's often-cited "great" resale value is a myth, in economic terms. Once you accessorize a Harley the way every used buyer will want it, then look at what actual humans are willing to pay you for it when you are ready to sell, your depreciation is actually more than it would have cost you to BUY a different, comparable bike new.

5. No single motorcycle is satisfactory. Every biker's garage should have at least two motorcycles, probably more.

6. There is no step up from a Goldwing. With one tiny exception, it is the perfect motorcycle for covering miles and miles. The single downside is that the engine configuration prevents having floorboards and usable highway pegs. And the fuel economy isn't great, but who cares?

7. There are few things one can do on pavement that match the thrill of riding a fast motorcycle.

8. Riding a motorcycle is inherently dangerous. No one with school age children should ride a motorcycle.

It's the sound and the ambience and it's American. I'm looking for a Honda 200 street bike myself. I had all the Harley experience I needed on a Sportster in 1974 lol. Hitting a frost heave at 110, superman flying experience, great alternate consciousness catch...

You know, there is a certain cachet that comes with riding a Harley, and to tell you the truth, they are total chick magnets. Never got as much tail in my life as I did during the time I owned a Harley.

Had a '93 883 Sportster that I dropped a cam kit into and bored out to a 1200, but kept the same piston arms for more torque. Also, put on an Sand S carb, rejetted it, and when I was done, I had a bike that was capable of 130 mph, and would do 110 with a passenger on back.

Got rid of the stock shocks and traded 'em for 11 in. shocks, put on an extended rear fender, and got the conversion kit so I could put on 5 1/2 gallon split tanks. When I got finished, people who rode alongside me couldn't believe it was a Sportster because of it's speed, and when they saw it parked, they had to take a second look to make sure it was a Sporty, because at first glance it looked like a big twin.

Forum List

Back