Murdoch's News of the World hacks dead teenager's phone

so is there proof murdoch knew?

unnamed sources? now? with all the light on it, if this is such a big deal I would imagine they would now come forward and swear a complaint(?)

His company is liable regardless of whether he knew about it. His unquestioning defense of Rebecca is also telling given that she was more than likely deeply involved.

His company is liable regardless of whether he knew about it. His unquestioning defense of Rebecca is also telling given that she was more than likely deeply involved.

yes I am well aware hes the captain of the ship and its his boat. ( not that it bothered some who immediately protested that the Rather- Mapes thing was completely cut off from Moonves et al CBS btw;))

Last edited:

I agree, but - and it is a big but - this is just the tip of the iceberg. There are other tabloids involved - not part of News International. As Colin and I have tried (so far unsuccessfully) to point out.... this is not about Murdoch, it is about a culture or amoral behavior and power mad journalists.

In the UK, it appears that anyone who spoke out in any way against tabloids, ended up having their private lives on the front page... that included police officers, politicians, celebrities among others.

It is the standards that are the major concern, the behavior of a lot of journalists... it's not all about Murdoch.... much as you might want it to be.

I hope the British people can sort this out & put it behind them.

There is currently a 'select committee' (that's basically the same as what we do, calling people to speak to a group of congress critters) who today had four senior Met Police officers to answer questions. Some of the officers came in for a pretty tough time... and, frankly, some pretty damned moronic questioning by the MPs. These are officers who - while they were investigating this whole debacle - were also dealing with over 70 active terror threats to the UK. Given police resources, the police chose to prioritize terrorism over the press. Color me shocked about that!

Next week could be interesting.... both Murdoch and Rebekah Brooks have been 'invited' to attend and answer questions. That should be fun!!

Apart from the 'select committee', there will be a full inquiry (led by a Judge with the power to compel people to attend and give evidence), and a full police investigation has now started.

Should go on for months.... and will not be pretty for Murdoch, Brooks, and - possibly - a lot more journalists will be arrested.

Excellent news! Murdoch's readers are hitting him where it hurts...in his revenue streams. The public backlash is resulting in significant sales losses across his other UK titles. Let's hope it lasts and public apathy doesn't kick in. The more readers he loses the less adverising he will get, so this is a nice double edged sword.

While the final souvenir edition of the News of the World sold 3.8 million copies, the paper’s stablemates, The Sun, The Times and the Sunday Times, suffered some of their worst circulation figures this year.

According to unofficial estimates The Sun lost as many as quarter of a million readers on Saturday as people registered their distaste with the Murdoch empire over the phone hacking scandal.

The Times on Saturday is thought to have seen the number of readers dip by 30,000, according to unofficial estimates, while The Sunday Times also suffered poor sales as a result of the negative publicity.

Such was the anger over the affair that many disgruntled people set up Facebook pages and Twitter accounts calling for a boycott of Murdoch owned newspapers.

And as the furore over phone hacking and illegal payments to police officers spread to the other titles in the group, questions are being raised over their long term future

Murdoch papers suffer sales slump over phone hacking - Telegraph

Excellent news! Murdoch's readers are hitting him where it hurts...in his revenue streams. The public backlash is resulting in significant sales losses across his other UK titles. Let's hope it lasts and public apathy doesn't kick in. The more readers he loses the less adverising he will get, so this is a nice double edged sword.

Uh Colon, do you realize you are cheering the free market in action? That MUST distress you on some level. (A distressed Colon could lead to irritable bowl syndrome!)

Uh Colon, do you realize you are cheering the free market in action? That MUST distress you on some level. (A distressed Colon could lead to irritable bowl syndrome!)

I thought you said you could debate! Clearly you've risen to your own level of substandard!

I agree, but - and it is a big but - this is just the tip of the iceberg. There are other tabloids involved - not part of News International. As Colin and I have tried (so far unsuccessfully) to point out.... this is not about Murdoch, it is about a culture or amoral behavior and power mad journalists.

In the UK, it appears that anyone who spoke out in any way against tabloids, ended up having their private lives on the front page... that included police officers, politicians, celebrities among others.

It is the standards that are the major concern, the behavior of a lot of journalists... it's not all about Murdoch.... much as you might want it to be.
I DEFINITELY agree with you on that much. This is just the beginning of trouble for Murdoch. These are his best days as far as this debacle is concerned.

There is currently a 'select committee' (that's basically the same as what we do, calling people to speak to a group of congress critters) who today had four senior Met Police officers to answer questions. Some of the officers came in for a pretty tough time... and, frankly, some pretty damned moronic questioning by the MPs. These are officers who - while they were investigating this whole debacle - were also dealing with over 70 active terror threats to the UK. Given police resources, the police chose to prioritize terrorism over the press. Color me shocked about that!

Next week could be interesting.... both Murdoch and Rebekah Brooks have been 'invited' to attend and answer questions. That should be fun!!

Apart from the 'select committee', there will be a full inquiry (led by a Judge with the power to compel people to attend and give evidence), and a full police investigation has now started.

Should go on for months.... and will not be pretty for Murdoch, Brooks, and - possibly - a lot more journalists will be arrested.
Yep...it ain't gon' be pretty.

I think Brooks might end up getting shackled too. From my understanding of the reports, she was in knee-deep on the shenannigans.

I'm very glad to know what the UK is finally stepping up to the plate to deal with this politcs/police/media in bed with each other business.

I hope it spreads here as well.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I DEFINITELY agree with you on that much. This is just the beginning of trouble for Murdoch. These are his best days as far as this debacle is concerned.

I think Brooks might end up getting shackled too. From my understanding of the reports, she was in knee-deep on the shenannigans.

I'm very glad to know what the UK is finally stepping up to the plate to deal with this politcs/police/media in bed with each other business.

Whether you 'agree' with me or not is of no consequence, it's FACT. It's all over the news in the UK that there are further investigations to come. Why can't you ever understand the difference between 'fact' and 'opinion'?

I think.... and I believe the UK generally will agree with me.... that we'll wait to see who did what, to whom and when before they start sending them to prison. In the UK, you have to be guilty of something other than being of a different political view, in order to be found guilty in a court of law. The court of public opinion doesn't count. Idiot.

Ohhhh, and..... I notice that you completely ignore a somewhat key sentence.... this is not about Murdoch... other media outlets are likely to find themselves under investigation too.... but, as is typical of a mindless borg of the Obamanation.... you need to make it all about the boogyman. Moron.

Last edited:

Whether you 'agree' with me or not is of no consequence, it's FACT. It's all over the news in the UK that there are further investigations to come. Why can't you ever understand the difference between 'fact' and 'opinion'?

I think.... and I believe the UK generally will agree with me.... that we'll wait to see who did what, to whom and when before they start sending them to prison. In the UK, you have to be guilty of something other than being of a different political view, in order to be found guilty in a court of law. The court of public opinion doesn't count. Idiot.

Ohhhh, and..... I notice that you completely ignore a somewhat key sentence.... this is not about Murdoch... other media outlets are likely to find themselves under investigation too.... but, as is typical of a mindless borg of the Obamanation.... you need to make it all about the boogyman. Moron.

Oh really?

http://www.usmessageboard.com/media...to-a-more-deserving-fellow-3.html#post3853264

Oh really?

http://www.usmessageboard.com/media...to-a-more-deserving-fellow-3.html#post3853264

Yea... really. It's about the UK tabloid media and their propensity for hacking people's phones.... that is against the law in the UK. Just because all the publicity is about Murdoch's outlets does not mean that the others haven't done it.

No one in the US paid the slightest attention to this story until it was found that the NotW had tried to hack the phones of (British) families of victims of 9-11.... all of a sudden, then, y'all jump on the moral highground.

Oh really?

Yea... really. It's about the UK tabloid media and their propensity for hacking people's phones.... that is against the law in the UK. Just because all the publicity is about Murdoch's outlets does not mean that the others haven't done it.

No one in the US paid the slightest attention to this story until it was found that the NotW had tried to hack the phones of (British) families of victims of 9-11.... all of a sudden, then, y'all jump on the moral highground.

Yep....doesn't EVERYONE do it?

Isn't that what YOU always say?

Dummy.

Dummy.

No, that isn't what I always say.

Dumbass.

But, nice deflection now that I proved you wrong about the Guardian. :lol::lol:

Dummy.

No, that isn't what I always say.

Dumbass.

But, nice deflection now that I proved you wrong about the Guardian. :lol::lol:
No you didn't.

You didn't prove SQUAT.

Dummy.

:lol:

Forum List

Back