Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reggae

• Music is nothing for me

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
"Dance" is not a music style btw.
Indeed it is. Otherwise known as "electronic". There are many variations to the "dance" music genre : breakbeat, dubstep, garage, techno, trance etc

Pogo only says that because he doesn't like it. While I don't think dance music/hip hop have the most talented of artists, that type of music is mostly for fun and dancing. As long as it has a good beat for dancing, that's all that really matters, and that is why it is so popular. Girls like dancing!

"Doesn't like it"? Nobody even posted any. No -- I say that because "dance" can be, and is, done to a million different kinds of music. So it's absurd to call something specific "dance music" because where the hell does that leave everything else danceable?

It's like saying "meal food" to mean only asparagus. It's absurd.

More dance music:

All dance music --- all quite different music, wouldn't you say?

I like ballet. The other stuff is fine too. You are the one who said you didn't consider dance music to be music, right? :)

Oh dear no dear. I said the category "dance" doesn't belong in a list of music styles. You can dance to any kind of music you want.

Oh sorry. I misinterpreted your post. :) My apologies.

I went with rock only because that constitutes my roots. There is so much good music out there it's hard to pin down.

Motown, bluegrass, zydecko, alternative rock, classical I could go on and on.

I used to love grunge! I haven't heard very many good grunge bands recently though. :( I prefer the bands of the 90s and early 2000s.

I like classic rock too; 60s and 70s music is good. I actually like a wide variety of music genres, but I don't listen to some of them very often.

My least favorite is probably country music, though there are a couple/few country songs I like.

All over the map. 70s rock both hard and soft, 90s grunge especially Pearl Jam, Rap (courtesy of my son's influence) and classic Jazz/Blues i.e. Miles Davis,Bird,Oscar Peterson,VInce Guaraldi.

Indeed it is. Otherwise known as "electronic". There are many variations to the "dance" music genre : breakbeat, dubstep, garage, techno, trance etc

Horsefeathers.

This is "dance" music....

--- is it not?

Dance is dance; music is music. The idea that dance can only be done to some narrowly defined segment of pseudomusic is just beyond absurd.

Just telling ya man. There is a system whether you like it/agree or not.

While I have an eclectic taste in music, my favorite is classical, including opera, operetta and instrumental.
On the light side I enjoy pre Beatles Rock n' Roll, Country and Western and pop in the style of Tony Bennett, Carpenters, Mommas and Poppas, Ella Fitzgerald, Peggy Lee, etc.
In my car I have Sirius XM, which is excellent.

Horsefeathers.

--- is it not?

Dance is dance; music is music. The idea that dance can only be done to some narrowly defined segment of pseudomusic is just beyond absurd.

We do indeed, and here's what that system says:

Full Definition of dance
danced danc·ing
  1. intransitive verb
  2. 1 : to engage in or perform a dance

3. 2 : to move or seem to move up and down or about in a quick or lively manner

4. transitive verb
  5. 1 : to perform or take part in as a dancer

6. 2 : to cause to dance

7. 3 : to bring into a specified condition by dancing

--- nothing about some restricted genre of music at all. Nothing about ANY form of music. And wouldn't be possible since, as repeatedly illustrated, the action described does not require and is in no way limited to any specific type of music.

The elephant in this room is that the term was posted by a poster who insists on using English, a language he is clearly unfamiliar with. And you want him correcting yours? No thanks, I gotta drive. :nono:

Horsefeathers.

--- is it not?

Full Definition of dance
danced danc·ing
  1. intransitive verb

4. transitive verb

--- nothing about some restricted genre of music at all. Nothing about ANY form of music. And wouldn't be possible since, as repeatedly illustrated, the action described does not require and is in no way limited to any specific type of music.

The elephant in this room is that the term was posted by a poster who insists on using English, a language he is clearly unfamiliar with. And you want him correcting yours? No thanks, I gotta drive. :nono:

Listen NAZI, "dance" music is a genre. Your out-dated opinion doesn't change ANYTHING.
Music Genre List - A complete list of music styles, types and genres

Horsefeathers.

--- is it not?

Full Definition of dance
danced danc·ing
  1. intransitive verb

4. transitive verb

Listen NAZI, "dance" music is a genre. Your out-dated opinion doesn't change ANYTHING.

Nope. It can't be. How many videos did I already post of people dancing to widely varying types of music? It only takes two to prove the point.

You want more?

If "dance" is a type of MUSIC now --- then what the fuck are those people in my videos doing? Having epileptic seizures?

Horsefeathers.

--- is it not?

Full Definition of dance
danced danc·ing
  1. intransitive verb

4. transitive verb

Nope. It can't be. How many videos did I already post of people dancing to widely varying types of music? It only takes two to prove the point.

You want more?

If "dance" is a type of MUSIC now --- then what the fuck are those people in my videos doing? Having epileptic seizures?

I get what you are saying, pogo. I really do.
Yet, "dance" is its own music genre now. That system is developed by professionals.
Are you a music genre professional? Or just an arrogant old man that thinks he knows everything?

Horsefeathers.

--- is it not?

Full Definition of dance
danced danc·ing
  1. intransitive verb

4. transitive verb

You want more?

Yet, "dance" is its own music genre now. That system is developed by professionals.
Are you a music genre professional?

Yeah as a matter of fact -- I am.

But not one who's trying to sell anything. I don't dabble in bullshit, period. You know that.

Just because some tin-ear huckster thinks he can make an extra buck by selling a term that is clearly unworkable bullshit --- doesn't mean you have to bend over for it. Use your head.

Full Definition of dance
danced danc·ing
  1. intransitive verb

4. transitive verb

You want more?

But not one who's trying to sell anything. I don't dabble in bullshit, period. You know that.
Then you must suck a your job. The music genre "dance" is fairly popular..

Full Definition of dance
danced danc·ing
  1. intransitive verb

4. transitive verb

You want more?

Just because some tin-ear huckster thinks he can make an extra buck by selling a term that is clearly unworkable bullshit --- doesn't mean you have to bend over for it. Use your head.

It may be. That's marketing. Marketing can sell a refrigerator to an Inuit.

But that doesn't make the term legitimate.

I've managed some of the biggest radio station record libraries, repeatedly. That involves pop, rock blues, classical (Baroque, "Early" etc) contemporary jazz (A-G, cool, bop, hard bop, etc), trad jazz, general folk (bluegrass, country, S/S etc), reggae, Celtic, World, and others with all their various subgenres.

There has never been a "dance" in that because it would be absurd. You can dance to any one or more of them you want. Indeed when the station's DJs got involved with an onsite dance marathon, it pulled from ALL of these genres, unless there was a given theme (such as reggae).

Dance is an action -- not a music. To take the word and pretend that it refers to a single narrow style is like taking a bowl of Cheerios with mustard and tomato sauce and declare "this is what the word food means". It's absurd, and it belongs with the other things of the absurd.

So no, I don't believe some clown in an office gets to redefine the language's words just because he feels like it and can't come up with anything original. I don't believe in rewarding sloth.

Last edited:

You want more?

Music genres are bullshit. Fair enough.

You want more?

Oh they absolutely are. This is all begat of a convenience tool for selling records. In the earlier days of recording we didn't have all these sections, which by definition limit what can be done within them --- we just had music. Some of that had elements of blues .... but also jazz .... but also country.... but it was also pop.... musical expression was a lot freer. Ralph Peer and those guys recorded Fiddin' John Carson, got surprised that he sold, and decided to call it "hillbilly music" and created a series with its own set of numbers. The Carter Family and Jimmie Rodgers showed up and the created the "Country" series. And of course the "race records". None of the musicians called what they were doing by any of those terms -- they thought they were just "playing music".

Some of my favorite recorded music of all time comes from the 1930s. Recording techniques were still primitive but they had vastly improved, and the record companies had not yet channeled all these genres into implying what this or that one "should" sound like -- they hadn't paved over the creative process yet. Hence you had vaudevillians and Klezmers and jazzers and fiddlers and crooners and bluesers unrestricted by the labels they'd all get hung on them later, all coming straight from the Heart.

What I do in my record libraries is simply for convenience in helping to find something when the library contains tens of thousands of recordings. There are always those that defy categorization, and as long as they're done well I celebrate them as a small victory.

Walked into Jim Russell's music store in New Orleans once (at least 20 years ago) and was scratching my head trying to figure out his pattern. I don't remember who the specific artists were but one was "over here" while another artist doing the same kind of music was way "over there". I couldn't make sense out of it to navigate. So I went to the proprietor and asked him how his shop was set up ------ turns out he's got his records sorted according to the customer, i.e. he wants his white customers to browse "over here" and his black customers to browse "over there". :shock:

Last edited:

Full Definition of dance
danced danc·ing
  1. intransitive verb

4. transitive verb

You want more?

Sorry to break it to you, but dance music is very popular, and the people who are producing that "unworkable bullshit" are making a fortune. :D Lol.

Oh they absolutely are. This is all begat of a convenience tool for selling records. In the earlier days of recording we didn't have all these sections, which by definition limit what can be done within them --- we just had music. Some of that had elements of blues .... but also jazz .... but also country.... but it was also pop.... musical expression was a lot freer. Ralph Peer and those guys recorded Fiddin' John Carson, got surprised that he sold, and decided to call it "hillbilly music" and created a series with its own set of numbers. The Carter Family and Jimmie Rodgers showed up and the created the "Country" series. And of course the "race records". None of the musicians called what they were doing by any of those terms -- they thought they were just "playing music".

Some of my favorite recorded music of all time comes from the 1930s. Recording techniques were still primitive but they had vastly improved, and the record companies had not yet channeled all these genres into implying what this or that one "should" sound like -- they hadn't paved over the creative process yet. Hence you had vaudevillians and Klezmers and jazzers and fiddlers and crooners and bluesers unrestricted by the labels they'd all get hung on them later, all coming straight from the Heart.

What I do in my record libraries is simply for convenience in helping to find something when the library contains tens of thousands of recordings. There are always those that defy categorization, and as long as they're done well I celebrate them as a small victory.

Walked into Jim Russell's music store in New Orleans once (at least 20 years ago) and was scratching my head trying to figure out his pattern. I don't remember who the specific artists were but one was "over here" while another artist doing the same kind of music was way "over there". I couldn't make sense out of it to navigate. So I went to the proprietor and asked him how his shop was set up ------ turns out he's got his records sorted according to the customer, i.e. he wants his white customers to browse "over here" and his black customers to browse "over there". :shock:

Quit being such a snob, Pogo. :D

Forum List

Back